YSS shocks/Michelin ties in Chiang Mai?

In prior posts, I got some good information about YSS shocks and Michelin tires for my Honda Wave 125i. Now i need information about dealers. I live in Chiang Mai and wonder if anyone knows a good dealer here that would have either or both of them or if I will have to order them. If ordering is required, any information on sources would be appreciated.

David

On Chang Moi road there are multiple shops, with shocks hanging up. I would try going down there as the first option.

For tires stop at the shop with all the helmets in front, they got tires there. Also, pass that shop and turn into the first soi on the right, its the same shop but its their warehouse, its on your left, across from German Joe's...shop is called Prida.

Also give Sangchai Honda a shot on Kaew Nawarat road, its the newly constructed building a few hundred feet away from the dealer building- last resort, shop is really busy and you can stand around for half an hour before anyone helps you.

Prida and Sangchai are the cheapest in CNX.

Dont know about Pekky.

Try Pekky Pro Street, directly acroos from KSK mall.

Bought some Pirelli tires from them - they beat everybodys prices. Work on all makes and models

What size and type of Pirellis did you get there?...at the kawasaki shop Rossi ll are 7500 baht.

Try Pekky Pro Street, directly acroos from KSK mall.

Bought some Pirelli tires from them - they beat everybodys prices. Work on all makes and models

Hi seedy and thanks for the info. Stopped by there. They don't do Michelin or YSS. Looks like a good shop though.

David

On Chang Moi road there are multiple shops, with shocks hanging up. I would try going down there as the first option.

For tires stop at the shop with all the helmets in front, they got tires there. Also, pass that shop and turn into the first soi on the right, its the same shop but its their warehouse, its on your left, across from German Joe's...shop is called Prida.

Also give Sangchai Honda a shot on Kaew Nawarat road, its the newly constructed building a few hundred feet away from the dealer building- last resort, shop is really busy and you can stand around for half an hour before anyone helps you.

Dont know about Pekky.

Hi KRS

I tried a couple of the shops on Chiang Mai. At least one has YSS shocks. I am waiting to hear by from YSS to see what they recommend for the Wave 125i. A couple of other posts talked about the XL and XXL saying that the XXL is a bit too much and that riding 2 up with the XL is just about right. I'll see if YSS has any better suggestions and if not I'll go with the XL.

I'll check on the places you mentioned to see if they do Michelins. If not, I'll either order them from BKK or wait until I go down there and pick them up.

David

Dont know about Pekky.

Hi KRS

I tried a couple of the shops on Chiang Mai. At least one has YSS shocks. I am waiting to hear by from YSS to see what they recommend for the Wave 125i. A couple of other posts talked about the XL and XXL saying that the XXL is a bit too much and that riding 2 up with the XL is just about right. I'll see if YSS has any better suggestions and if not I'll go with the XL.

I'll check on the places you mentioned to see if they do Michelins. If not, I'll either order them from BKK or wait until I go down there and pick them up.

David

I've got YSS XL on my PCX. I weigh 94 kg. The missus is 45 kg. One up they are too hard, 2 up they are just OK (too hard) and 2 up with 25 kg of groceries just right! And I have the adjusters wound up so the springs have maximum safe extension.

Dont know about Pekky.

Hi KRS

David

I've got YSS XL on my PCX. I weigh 94 kg. The missus is 45 kg. One up they are too hard, 2 up they are just OK (too hard) and 2 up with 25 kg of groceries just right! And I have the adjusters wound up so the springs have maximum safe extension.

So, if I get YSS XLs for my Wave, will I have to get a wife and buy groceries to carry with me if I want a good ride? biggrin.png

David

So, if I get YSS XLs for my Wave, will I have to get a wife and buy groceries to carry with me if I want a good ride? biggrin.png

David

I'm sure a girl friend & some beer would work just as well laugh.png

Kidding wink.png

Those requirements would sure make the shocks more expensive and that is not even counting the VAT. biggrin.png

David

Edited by Genericnic
  • Like 1

Dont know about Pekky.

Hi KRS

David

Hello David,

If you don't end up finding them up there, let me know. We have Michelins and YSS shocks here at Sumet. Best of luck.

Brian

Dont know about Pekky.

Hi KRS

David

Hello David,

If you don't end up finding them up there, let me know. We have Michelins and YSS shocks here at Sumet. Best of luck.

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply. I managed to find the tires this morning and am getting them installed now. Still looking for the shocks. YSS recommends either the RC302-330T-19 or the RE302-330T-19. Both are type TS with a length of 330 (cm I think). If I don't find them here, I'll definitely check back with you.

David

YSS recommends either the RC302-330T-19 or the RE302-330T-19. Both are type TS with a length of 330 (cm I think).

David

David where did you find the info?

I would not mind getting better shocks for our 125i too

But the YSS website is pretty useless for spec/info on sizing etc

YSS recommends either the RC302-330T-19 or the RE302-330T-19. Both are type TS with a length of 330 (cm I think).

David

Hi mania

Go to their website (YSS.co.th) click on Products then application and then motorcycle. A page comes up where you enter the make and model. For the Honda Wave 125i it only lists 125 and up to 2007 or 2009 (can't remember which) but the listing is right for current Waves as well.

David

Just got back from getting the new tires. Got them at Sangchai Honda that KRS had recommended above. I got there around noon and was out by 1:30 or so.

I got Michelin M62 2.25-17 front and M62 2.5-17 rear. Cost was 1100 baht plus 150B to put them on. Even on the ride across town to get home, I could feel the difference in handling and performance. Wish I had gotten them sooner.

Goal for tomorrow is new YSS shocks.

David

• Like 1

Nothing makes as drastic a change as good tires on a bike!

Congrats & Enjoy !

PS: your going in the right direction because suspension is the next biggest

improvement & then brakes IMHO wink.png

Agreed, though I will say that with good technique, the brakes on the Wave are pretty good. Not as good as my old Kawasaki Vulcan but then again the Wave is a lot lighter.

I went out for a bit of preliminary searching this afternoon for YSS shocks. Seems the recommended ones (by YSS) may have to be ordered from BKK. I'm going to do a bit more looking tomorrow before doing the order … just in case.

David

There is another shop on Chang Puak road at the Radjapat university intersection, its the first big intersection if you go down chang puak from the moat. Shop is diagonally across to the right if your stopped at the light.

Nice folks and you can order from there, probably the most chill shop in CNX, thats where i get my Veloil chainlube. They also have Yazaki brake pads there.

There is also another shop on the left before you get to them about half a kilo after entering Chang Puak, a little after the Tops 3 way intersection.

Edited by KRS1

There is another shop on Chang Puak road at the Radjapat university intersection, its the first big intersection if you go down chang puak from the moat. Shop is diagonally across to the right if your stopped at the light.

Nice folks and you can order from there, probably the most chill shop in CNX, thats where i get my Veloil chainlube.

There is also another shop on the left before you get to them about half a kilo after entering Chang Puak, a little after the Tops 3 way intersection.

Thanks KRS

I'll swing by tomorrow and see what they have. Lets me scrub in the new tires a bit more before the weekend.

David

They have Yazaki brake pads there too, you may have missed that in my post since i edited it.

Prices are same as Saengchai and Prida.

Edited by KRS1

They have Yazaki brake pads there too, you may have missed that in my post since i edited it.

Prices are same as Saengchai and Prida.

KRS, is the first one (on Radjapat University Rd.) the one with the green Castrol sign that says Bike Point on it?

I'll check out the brake pads as well.

David

No its not that one. You dont turn right, you have to go all the way to the superhighway to make a u turn, then come back to that intersection...the shop will be just before the intersection about 50 feet.

Or you can be slick (if you dont want to make that long detour) and pull right onto the corner and back track against traffic, theres enough room to do it safely.

Dont forget the chain lube if you have use for it ! ... 80 baht Veloil

map.jpg

No its not that one. You dont turn right, you have to go all the way to the superhighway to make a u turn, then come back to that intersection...the shop will be just before the intersection about 50 feet.

Or you can be slick (if you dont want to make that long detour) and pull right onto the corner and back track against traffic, theres enough room to do it safely.

Dont forget the chain lube if you have use for it ! ... 80 baht Veloil

map.jpg

Got to. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

David

Hi mania

Go to their website (YSS.co.th) click on Products then application and then motorcycle. A page comes up where you enter the make and model. For the Honda Wave 125i it only lists 125 and up to 2007 or 2009 (can't remember which) but the listing is right for current Waves as well.

David

Hi Mania

Just an update. I was able to get the YSS shocks from the shop that KRS1 mentioned above. I got the ones with the reservoir canister attached to the body of the shock. Went today to have them installed and found that they did not fit or at least would not fit without some body modification to the Wave. I got the impression that the modification was fairly common here in Thailand but I wanted to do some checking first so I had them hold the shocks until I can contact YSS direct to see if one of the other two styles can me added with no or less modifications to the body.

I'll let you know what I find out from YSS.

David

• Like 1

Hi Mania

Just an update. I was able to get the YSS shocks from the shop that KRS1 mentioned above. I got the ones with the reservoir canister attached to the body of the shock. Went today to have them installed and found that they did not fit or at least would not fit without some body modification to the Wave. I got the impression that the modification was fairly common here in Thailand but I wanted to do some checking first so I had them hold the shocks until I can contact YSS direct to see if one of the other two styles can me added with no or less modifications to the body.

David

Thanks David,

I don't know why this thread did not pop up in my content but glad I saw it.

Funny you mention this as when I looked at the stock shocks & how the plastic fairings are located close to the shock top

I wondered about this type of shock & whether it would fit.

Actually if you need to cut the fairing I would look for a non-reservoir type.

The reservoir type in my opinion has always been for much heavier use like dirt or larger heavier bikes/loads.

Looks cool but I doubt really needed on a Wave.

If they have a plain good shock with a good spring & dampening unit that would be great

Good Luck & how are you liking your new tires?

Hi Mania

David

Thanks David,

I don't know why this thread did not pop up in my content but glad I saw it.

Funny you mention this as when I looked at the stock shocks & how the plastic fairings are located close to the shock top

I wondered about this type of shock & whether it would fit.

Actually if you need to cut the fairing I would look for a non-reservoir type.

The reservoir type in my opinion has always been for much heavier use like dirt or larger heavier bikes/loads.

Looks cool but I doubt really needed on a Wave.

If they have a plain good shock with a good spring & dampening unit that would be great

Good Luck & how are you liking your new tires?

Hi Mania

Sent off a note to YSS yesterday. Also, went back to the website and did a search just for Honda and not for Honda and Wave. If you remember, the recommendations that come up when you search for both terms show years through (I believe) 2009. If I just search Honda, it shows suggestions for Innovas which are the European equivalent of the Wave and it shows for years from 2006 onward. I am curious to see if the recommended shocks for the Innova take into consideration a change in the fairings on the Wave. It is hard to tell based on the images on the website. I'll let you know when (or if) I hear back from YSS.

David

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mania

I had sent two emails to YSS concerning the best shocks for the Honda Wave. Never received a response so when I was in BKK last week, I just went to their shop. Very nice folks. Talked to one of the export managers and briefly to his boss and they set me up with the right shocks. Went today and got them installed with no modification of the bike fairing required. Even on the short ride home from the dealer, I could definitely tell the difference. It was a serious improvement over the OEM shocks. If you are interested, the model number is RB220-34P-38-85, Hybrid-M 220/340 Wave (at least that is on the box). They have a number of color choices but I got the ones with red springs and black shock body. With that information, you should be able to have someone here order them for you from YSS. The cost at the YSS shop was about 900 baht for the set.

David

• Like 2

Mania

I had sent two emails to YSS concerning the best shocks for the Honda Wave. Never received a response so when I was in BKK last week, I just went to their shop. Very nice folks. Talked to one of the export managers and briefly to his boss and they set me up with the right shocks. Went today and got them installed with no modification of the bike fairing required. Even on the short ride home from the dealer, I could definitely tell the difference. It was a serious improvement over the OEM shocks. If you are interested, the model number is RB220-34P-38-85, Hybrid-M 220/340 Wave (at least that is on the box). They have a number of color choices but I got the ones with red springs and black shock body. With that information, you should be able to have someone here order them for you from YSS. The cost at the YSS shop was about 900 baht for the set.

David

David thanks !

You read my mind as I was just wondering today if you got it sorted as I want some shocks for the wave

Thanks for bird dogging the info!

Sounds like a good upgrade & I will try to get some in the next day or two.

Hope they have them in Chiangmai & if not I will order

Thanks again!

Edited by mania

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting those YSS Shocks & Michelins for the wave

Thanks for the info David as I bought the same # shocks etc.

Got them all at Sanchai Honda as they had the shocks & the tires.

The only thing I would have done different had I know was gone with the M45 tires instead of the M62 Michelins

The lady started to grab the M45's but I told her I wanted M62's

But the tires are wrapped & you do not see the tread

The M62's are fine & good tires but I did not realize they had such an aggressive tread

almost feels a little bumpy & turn in is not as smooth as a smoother tire of course.

But....I am sure if you do a little off road or a lot of wet riding the M62 is better

But next time I change if I still have this bike I would buy M45's

For those who have not bought yet here are the two treads.

The M45 is rated to 180kph & used for classic historic racing bikes etc.

So I think would be the better street tire for scooters

M45

M62

Edited by mania