Report – Exchange tourist visa to Non Immigrant (Marriage) - Form TM86

I have read multiple threads from members requesting info on converting a Tourist Visa to a non –immigrant visa in country rather than applying directly for the non-immigrant visa in your home country or perhaps a neighboring country.

This is a common scenario for those people (like me) wishing to arrive in Thailand, get married, and then stay for an extended period without exiting.

Although replies are always informative and helpful, I could not find a single posting of an up-to-date experience with details of all necessary requirements.

This is my story on the “Change of Visa Application (Form TM86)” process to follow. Hoping it helps readers in similar circumstances.

With 19 days remaining on my current tourist visa, I arrived at Bangkok Chaengwattana immigration office on Monday lunchtime, and was handed a ticket for the C1 queue.

Documents I prepared and brought with me where:-

Completed form TM86 (APPLICATION FOR CHANGE OF VISA) (NB Print Double Sided!! Not 2 Single sided sheets!!)

Photocopy of passport pages with following pages

- front page showing name / surname / Passport No., etc.

- current visa

- last entry stamp of immigration

- last extension of visa

Photocopy of departure card TM.6

4 X 6 cm photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

- Copy of translated and legalized Affirmation Freedom to Marry documents.

- Copy of marriage Certificate (Kor Ror.2).

- Copy of marriage Registration Papers (Kor Ror.3).

Copy of I.D. card and house registration papers of the Thai national- Wife to sign both copies.

4 Photos mounted on A4 of couple inside house.

4 Photos mounted on A4 of couple outside house.

2x Map showing directions to house.

Letter from bank confirming 400,000 baht in account.

Copy bank passbook showing 400,000 baht in account.

** Remember use BLUE pen.

** Remember to sign each photocopied page (this is your certification that the photocopy is a true copy of the original), and Thai Wife to sign documents such as ID card, blue book, marriage documentation and countersign each photo too.

** Remember to bring all original documents too.

After around an hour of waiting, I was seen by the immigration officer. Paperwork was in order except that the “Letter from bank confirming 400,000 baht in account” was not required and was handed straight back to me. Also, I was requested to use Bangkok Bank ATM and passbook update machine downstairs and re-photocopy.

Immigration officer once satisfied hands me a blue receipt, and asked me to return to Bangkok Chaengwattana in 10 days’ time.

At the second visit in 10 days, the immigration front desk again gave me a ticket for the C1 queue, but explained that I do not need to take a seat and wait. I should go straight to the officer’s desk at C12. At C12 the immigration officer see’s that you are holding the blue receipt from previously and takes your passport and informs you to take a seat. 10 minutes waiting and you are handed back your passport with a 90 Non Immigrant O visa stamped inside. You are then free to use your local Immigration Office to pursue then 1 year extension thereafter.

This was my first occasion dealing with Immigration officials (other than Suvarnabhumi arrivals), and found the process to be satisfactory. As echoed in many threads, dress smartly, remain polite, and answer any questions clearly and succinctly. Hoping for a similar level of service from my local office in approx. 2 months time.

• 11 months later...