If You Could Live Again - Come to Thailand Younger?

Neeranam

I have a couple of friends who came to Thailand around 20 years ago and love the place. They are still living in Scotland and saving up to retire here. They come here once a year for 2/3 weeks and love it. They are both divorced and own houses.

I did the opposite and moved here aged 28.

I understand some of their logic - when they do retire here whenever, they will be set up for the rest of their lives, even if it may be short. I really don't understand working from 50-55 just so you get another 5,000 baht or so a month.

I'd like to hear from retired members who moved here in their later years. Would you do the same again or wish you had come earlier?

Also, those who moved here younger - do you wish you stayed on in your original country making cash and moving here later?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came here later in life. I have a great government superannuation pension. I have a new family which includes my first child. If I had come to Thailand earlier then we would not have had our beautiful boy. Every person will have their own experience. No one will be the same. Just enjoy what you have here in Thailand after you make your own decision.

• Like 1

First came here just before my 21st birthday. That was my first trip overseas and quite an eyeopener. After four more trips I moved here just before my 23rd birthday, waiting first to graduate from university. Thailand has been my home ever since. Don’t know how I could have moved here much younger.wink.png

Sorry not retired but Neeranam thats legend stuff mate. Moved there at age 28 like a champ, and I take it your now retired? Im 38 but I wanna be like you!

Respect:wai:

Like a champ?

No, I plan to retire in about 20 years.

First came here just before my 21st birthday. That was my first trip overseas and quite an eyeopener. After four more trips I moved here just before my 23rd birthday, waiting first to graduate from university. Thailand has been my home ever since. Don’t know how I could have moved here much younger.wink.png

I also said would you move later if you could live again?

I also said would you move later if you could live again?

I missed that line, sorry. Nope, for me it was the right move at the right time, 1977.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

Make it there...spend it here.

I suspect that overall it is a semi rare farang who comes to Thailand at a young age and figures out how to make and save decent money. Can it happen? Sure anything is possible. But overall for most making and saving money in their home country and then spending the money in Thailand will likely work out a lot better....of course then again I know a lot of guys who don't save diddly in their home country but just sit around and wait for mommy/daddy to die and then inheriet a few hundred thousand bucks and then retire to Thailand....must be nice to have someone die and leave you a big pile of cash....I wouldn't know.

• Like 1

100000 euro at 4%, and you can retire.

the question is what you do all day when 28?

hang out drink beer, then what?

stay on Internet, go out a little see what s going on, then back in room watch TV, go eat, get a beer, then come back, watch picture on dropbox, then what? date a lady, speak with friends you meet in the lobby of your 5000 bats hotel.

best is to work in Thailand, make plenty of money then retire. ...

are you lazy?

Edited by Maestro
deleted spam link

I'm 31. Been here on/off since I was 26-27.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to move here 'permanently' before they're settled in a career and have some skills, preferably have tried working for themselves.

Thailand isn't a place to gain qualifications for most and you're going to need qualifications in the modern economy. So around 30 and some kind of plan would be my cutofff.

I came here after retiring from my employment, 12 years ago.

I really wished I had come to live in Thailand at least 10 years earlier.

But I came at the right time as the time that my wife and I came into contact with each other, if I would have moved to Thailand earlier, I would have met someone else and not her.

Only for that reason I would say the time I came to Thailand was the right time.

Cheers:wai2.gif

• Like 2

i was forced to retire at 56 because of an injury i received , before that i knew i wanted to move to Thailand .I had come for holidays before i had the injury and fell in love with the country . I sold everything and moved here. it was so hard at first with the new culture and the Thai way of thinking , and many times i wanted to go home .Now i respect the culture . I always wanted to travel to America and did. Was there for 3 years and hated every moment of it .I am so happy I found Thailand in my later years . I would have loved to come here 20 years ago , but like alot of forum members you needed that thing called money .

• Like 1

I'm early 40s. Moved here mid-late 30s.

I'm not retired but i don't really work (I manage a modest investment portfolio so I guess my skills are "transferable")

Moved here at the right age, I think.

10 years earlier and I'd likely have ended up baying at the moon from the gutter; 10 years later and I'd have been rushing around to fit in as much nonsense as possible only to end up regretting it

I retired at 44 yrs old and I then bought a new RV and drove round Europe for 18 months looking for my place in the sun ,I soon realized Southern Europe was just like England and it had many rules and regulations (thank you Brussels EU).So I sold my Campervan and started delivering yachts all around the world as Skipper & st Mate and in 2008 I delivered a sailed boat from Turkey to Thailand and never left .The rest is history and I am now in my 5 + years in this beautiful country

So to answer your question Yes I do wish I'd come here when I first retired at 44 Thailand has made me truly contented and happy it's not perfect for everyone but it's perfect for me thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Came here at 22 in 1995! Can't really complain but if I had a second go around, I would have chosen South America...The reasons for this are: closer affinity to the culture, language. More varied arts. music and entertainment, possibilities of naturalisation(passport), ownership of land etc....Surf, mountains, history....Never too late!

• Like 1

If I could have I would have done so. Had to work my butt off to get where I can move over and always have work in O&G. In the past that was 10+years of expierence. Minus the time I spent as a smart ass kid who figured he knew it all brought me here about 6 years ago. If I could look back and do it again I would have gotten my crap together and moved about 8 years earlier.

• Like 1

I'm just curious did Thaivisa develop a new troll filter? It is so refreshing to come here and read wonderful things about the country that I love.

The trolls are the ones who run out of money,turn into alcoholics or get fleeced by a bad thai woman.

• Like 1

Sorry not retired but Neeranam thats legend stuff mate. Moved there at age 28 like a champ, and I take it your now retired? Im 38 but I wanna be like you!

Respect:wai:

Like a champ?

No, I plan to retire in about 20 years.

Ahh, I took it as you moved there at 28 and worked there until your retirement.

Can you tell us how one can live in Thailand on EURO 4,000 p.a = app.EURO 350 pm, i.e. app Baht 14,000 pm? Or maybe you meant EURO 1,000,000? If so how many people at 28 have that amount of money? Not many!

Admittedly, to come here at a young age, find a decent job and earn enough to live comfortably and save enough for retirement is very commendable. However, this is not that easy, particularly considering inflation. I fully agree that one can lead in Thailand is a wonderful life, IF one can afford it. I have been here for over 10 years and I am enjoying life here. However, I could afford to send my two daughters to International schools, can now support them at universities and still live quite comfortably. I doubt, no, I do know, if that were possible had I come here 10-15 years earlier.

100000 euro at 4%, and you can retire.

the question is what you do all day when 28?

hang out drink beer, then what?

stay on Internet, go out a little see what s going on, then back in room watch TV, go eat, get a beer, then come back, watch picture on dropbox, then what? date a lady, speak with friends you meet in the lobby of your 5000 bats hotel.

best is to work in Thailand, make plenty of money then retire. ...

are you lazy?

Without a doubt if I had known about Thailand I would have gotten here much sooner. Retired and traveled @ 57 but once I found Thailand (at 62) - came back to look twice for about 6 months just to verify what I had seen/experienced the 1st time around.

Now live here and love every minute of it. Wish I'd found it sooner in life.....

• Like 2