400 Euro needed by Thai entering Schengen zone on a visitors visa?

Sorry, this might have been discussed before, but in my 11 years of being active on this site, this is the first time I even have a look at this sub forum.

To make a long story short, I helped my sister in law to get a visitors visitor for the Schengen zone, through the Swiss embassy. I booked her on an Aeroflot flight leaving to Moscow on June 26, and a connecting flight to Zurich. At Suvarnabhumi, Aeroflot's Thai check-in staff insisted she had to show 400 Euro or 20,000 Baht in order to check in, telling her she would have to show this money when entering the Schengen zone.

Nothing can be found about this on the websites of the Swiss embassy, and of the firm TLS Contact which handles visa applications on behalf of the Swiss and French embassies. Is this a brand new requirement, or just a rule thought out by Aeroflot's staff?

Switzerland has this to say about visitors to that country :

Foreign nationals must have adequate financial resources to cover the duration of their stay. The adequacy of these financial resources shall be determined on the basis of the duration and purpose of the stay.

Sufficient financial resources can be demonstrated by showing cash, traveller’s cheques, credit cards or other collateral (e.g. bank guarantee).

Foreign nationals who remain in Switzerland at their own expense must be able to demonstrate that they have enough financial resources to cover at least CHF 100.- per day of their stay. The reference amount for students with a valid student permit is CHF 30.- per day.

If a stay in another Schengen country is planned, the calculation of adequate financial resources shall be based on the reference amounts established by national authorities (tp.gifAnnex 18: Reference amounts required for the crossing of the external border fixed by national authorities).

If the entry takes place through a Schengen country that is not the main destination, the Federal Office for Migration recommends that foreign nationals carry traveller’s cheques, debit cards or credit cards as well as cash with them.

You certainly need to prove to the Swiss Immigration authorities when applying for a visa that you have a certain amount available, about THB3300 per day, but I've never known check-in staff asking for it.

Proof of sufficient personal funds for the duration of stay in the Schengen countries (ca. CHF 100.00 per day)

Bank statement/s for the last six months; Original booklet + photocopy

The Swiss Federal Office of Migration adds the following, but I can find nothing to say you have to show proof at the border, though I suspect you may.

How is the adequacy of financial resources determined for stays in Switzerland and within the Schengen Area?

Foreign nationals must have adequate financial resources to cover the duration of their stay. The adequacy of these financial resources shall be determined on the basis of the duration and purpose of the stay.

Sufficient financial resources can be demonstrated by showing cash, traveller’s cheques, credit cards or other collateral (e.g. bank guarantee).

Foreign nationals who remain in Switzerland at their own expense must be able to demonstrate that they have enough financial resources to cover at least CHF 100.- per day of their stay. The reference amount for students with a valid student permit is CHF 30.- per day.

If a stay in another Schengen country is planned, the calculation of adequate financial resources shall be based on the reference amounts established by national authorities ( Annex 18: Reference amounts required for the crossing of the external border fixed by national authorities).

If the entry takes place through a Schengen country that is not the main destination, the Federal Office for Migration recommends that foreign nationals carry traveller’s cheques, debit cards or credit cards as well as cash with them.

Thanks for your reactions, but in case of a visitors visa, the guarantor doing the inviting has already legally obliged himself to carry all costs, and also his capability of doing so has been examined by local authorities in the host country. It is a different situation than a foreign national coming in on a tourist, business or student visa, having to pay for everything himself. Anyways no big deal, but it would be nice if the Swiss embassy would have mentioned this rule, if it is a legal rule at all. To us it came as a complete surprise.

Thanks for your reactions, but in case of a visitors visa, the guarantor doing the inviting has already legally obliged himself to carry all costs, and also his capability of doing so has been examined by local authorities in the host country. It is a different situation than a foreign national coming in on a tourist, business or student visa, having to pay for everything himself. Anyways no big deal, but it would be nice if the Swiss embassy would have mentioned this rule, if it is a legal rule at all. To us it came as a complete surprise.

Maybe you you should have done some research and checked

Edited by marstons

OP, did your sister in law end up being allowed on the flight? I have never heard of this requirement being asked for from Thais flying on THAI Airways to Europe, including Switzerland which is the only destination in Europe I have flown into. However, as has been mentioned there does seem to be such a requirement so it would be prudent to have 400+ Euros or Swiss Francs available in cash and perhaps debit/credit cards too even if someone else is footing the bill. Somehow you need to be able to support yourself if you are going to another country, in case something happens where your sponsor doesn't arrive at the airport or something you need to find a way of getting by at least for a few days.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

It's really simple, airlines companies can get very big fines if them passengers are refused entering in a state.

For example I am Romanian and if I take a flight to New York I do require a US visa, when I go to checkin they will check my visa, have you ever wandered why they do this since my visa will be rechecked afterwards minutes later, at the border control? Sometimes airline checkin are more restrict than border control because if there is a small chance of being refused access they will have to pay a lot of money. It's strictly airlines policy. Russians, it seems are a lot more restrict than other airlines, probably they got burned many times before...

When I applied for a tourist visa for my girlfriend (now my wife) to come and visit me in Italy in 2011 I made for her a sort of insurance (don't really remember how it's called) and when they asked her to show if she have money she showed them this insurance and everything was ok. Also she did have credit cards with her but she never had to show them.

And to answer your question, yes they are allowed to do so. They are Russian they got nothing to do with EU, they know EU have some requirements that must be meet by there passengers and to avoid additional costs or fines they can double check.

Hope this helps and answers your question.

Check in staff ask to see money! And they have no right to ask i never heard of it any where in world!Example my wife come to turkey visit my family and when she was checking in they ask to show 50 euro cash! I think they are doing this only being jeolus!! Lol

OP, did your sister in law end up being allowed on the flight? I have never heard of this requirement being asked for from Thais flying on THAI Airways to Europe, including Switzerland which is the only destination in Europe I have flown into. However, as has been mentioned there does seem to be such a requirement so it would be prudent to have 400+ Euros or Swiss Francs available in cash and perhaps debit/credit cards too even if someone else is footing the bill. Somehow you need to be able to support yourself if you are going to another country, in case something happens where your sponsor doesn't arrive at the airport or something you need to find a way of getting by at least for a few days.

I bought 400 Euros at the airport and gave it to her, and then she was allowed on the flight. A lot of fuss about nothing, once in Switzerland she gave the money to the person who had invited her, who subsequently wired it back to me.

You certainly need to prove to the Swiss Immigration authorities when applying for a visa that you have a certain amount available, about THB3300 per day, but I've never known check-in staff asking for it.

Proof of sufficient personal funds for the duration of stay in the Schengen countries (ca. CHF 100.00 per day)

Bank statement/s for the last six months; Original booklet + photocopy

The Swiss Federal Office of Migration adds the following, but I can find nothing to say you have to show proof at the border, though I suspect you may.

How is the adequacy of financial resources determined for stays in Switzerland and within the Schengen Area?

If a stay in another Schengen country is planned, the calculation of adequate financial resources shall be based on the reference amounts established by national authorities ( Annex 18: Reference amounts required for the crossing of the external border fixed by national authorities).

Those rules are pretty standard for most parts of the world.

The majority of us have a wallet full of credit and debit cards which suffice.

I've watched several episodes of the Oz series Border Force where visitors are denied entry because of having insufficient funds.

I bought 400 Euros at the airport and gave it to her, and then she was allowed on the flight. A lot of fuss about nothing, once in Switzerland she gave the money to the person who had invited her, who subsequently wired it back to me.

So it appears she was travelling to Switzerland with little or no money? I'd suggest travelling anywhere with less than 400 Euro's is a bit reckless.

400 euro in Switzerland is not enough for 4 days. hotel 120 euro a night transport 40km 20euro food 10 euro extra 20 euro 170 euro at least per day. ripp off country like UK.

Agreed. The airline can refuse any traveller if the suspect they have insufficient funds for their travel.

Over on another thread 7by7 reckons £13k a year is ok in the UK.

I'd question why anyone would allow a relative to travel to Europe with less than 400 euro's in the purse. If you can buy the ticket for them then give them some funds.

Edited by Jay Sata