Thai PM shuffles pack and takes key defence post

Lite Beer

Thai PM shuffles pack and takes key defence post

BANGKOK, June 30, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Sunday became the first woman to head the kingdom's defence ministry in a cabinet reshuffle that gives her more influence over the powerful army that ousted her brother.

As defence minister Yingluck claims a seat on Thailand's defence council which appoints army top brass in a nation where the military has carried out numerous coups, the most recent toppling her brother Thaksin Shinawatra in 2006.

The leadership of the army is due to undergo an annual reshuffle in October, although it is unclear whether its current chief will retain his position despite approaching the end of the customary three-year term.

Speaking before the reshuffle was announced, Yuthasak Sasiprapha, who was appointed deputy defence minister, said Yingluck would not cause problems with the military.

"She can do it, she can work with the army," he told reporters.

Deputy Prime Minister Pongthep Thepkanjana said the prime minister had considered the reshuffle "carefully and "selected suitable people" for cabinet posts.

The hugely influential army is the official protector of the revered monarchy and is also seen by many as the guarantor of the establishment.

It draws a large budget and is fighting a rebellion in the kingdom's southernmost provinces which has killed more than 5,700 people in nearly a decade.

But the army has also been a key player in the nation's tumultuous political history.

Thailand has been plagued by political divisions and sometimes violent street protests involving so-called 'Red Shirt' supporters of Yingluck -- and her self-exiled brother Thaksin -- and 'Yellow Shirts' who support the pro-establishment opposition.

Thaksin was ousted by an army coup in 2006, prompting years of bitter political jousting that has at times spilled into bloodshed.
The country is still recovering from street protests by Red Shirts in 2010 that culminated in a bloody crackdown by security forces.

About 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 wounded in a series of clashes in May 2010 between demonstrators and security forces.

Courts have ruled that some protesters were killed by security forces, leading to charges of murder being laid against then-Prime Minister and current opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva -- accusations he strenuously denies.

No army officials have been charged over the unrest.

Several protest groups have sprung up in recent months against the government of Yingluck and the influence of her brother, who is seeking a return to the kingdom but faces jail over corruption charges.

On Saturday the Bangkok Post predicted the move would allow Yingluck -- much pilloried as Thaksin's stooge -- to tighten her grip on power, and indicated that she enjoyed a "rock-solid relationship" with army top brass.

Elsewhere in the reshuffle, outspoken former deputy prime minister and staunch Thaksin loyalist Chalerm Yubamrung was downgraded to head the labour ministry.

Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom was axed after facing weeks of flak over a controversial scheme guaranteeing prices to rice farmers that caused the kingdom to lose its place as the world's top exporter of the commodity last year.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-06-30

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Elsewhere in the reshuffle, outspoken former deputy prime minister and staunch Thaksin loyalist Chalerm Yubamrung was downgraded to head the labour ministry.

I think of it as the labour ministry having been upgraded by the appointment of a man of his calibre and wisdom to lead them. :rolleyes:

Can a Prime Minister be a Defence minister at the same time? a serious question???

Does that also mean she gets double the salary pack, double the benefits and double of everything else?

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

I should perhaps add, lest I am accused of chauvinism myself, that General Giap, the victor of both the First and Second Indochina Wars (1954 Dien Bien Phu; 1975 Reunification of Vietnam) made extensive use of his heroic "Long Haired Army" of women soldiers.

Edited by dru2

Deputy Prime Minister Pongthep Thepkanjana said the prime minister had considered the reshuffle "carefully and "selected suitable people" for cabinet posts.

Sure...just like she selected suitable people on the previous reshuffle (many of which she fired/shifted in this reshuffle).

• Like 1

The list on BP indicates that there are now 3 deputy prime ministers. Can that be right?

2. Pol Gen. Phongthep Thepkanchana, Deputy Prime Minister

5. Phongthep Thepkanchana, Deputy Prime Minister

8. Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisan, Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister

Edited by aguy30

All is in readiness. Cue big sister.

Yeah, where is She Who Must Be Obeyed ??? She seems to fallen out of the news.

Why would she be cued now ? My assumption was at the right time Yingluck would say she was having some kind of stress breakdown, and then big sis would smoothly step in. Wait I guess that would make Yingluck the fall person for the rice scam.....My opinion of Thaksin grows lower each day...

• Like 1

The list on BP indicates that there are now 3 deputy prime ministers. Can that be right?

I think there a more than that at times.

Yea, I think a recent newspaper article says the PM has 4 Deputy PMs.

Yea, I think a recent newspaper article says the PM has 4 Deputy PMs.

Very interesting and a surprise to me because Chalerm seemed be the second in command and the only deputy PM.

The wiki says they were 5.

Office Name Party Appointment Other offices

Deputy Prime Minister Police Captain Chalerm Yubamrung Pheu Thai Party 9 August 2011

Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul Pheu Thai Party 28 October 2012 Minister of Foreign Affairs

Deputy Prime Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong Pheu Thai Party 9 August 2011 Minister of Finance

Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi Pheu Thai Party 28 October 2012

Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana Pheu Thai Party 28 October 2012 Minister of Education

Edited by aguy30

Another star missing is our favorite. Plodprasop. Unless, I have missed something.

Like I said in a previous thread, get your WP renewed ASAP. I am sure Chalerm will think up some nasty new policy.

I am up for renewal next month, so might make it before he makes things difficult this year.

I shudder to think what the WP requirements will be next year. On the other hand, who knows. They might have another reshuffle by that time.

Or a new election. Or a coup. Or something.

• Like 1

Can a Prime Minister be a Defence minister at the same time? a serious question???

Does that also mean she gets double the salary pack, double the benefits and double of everything else?

The PM will get double the aggravation and double the infantile innuendo.

It is not uncommon in a parliamentary democracy to have ministers including the PM to take on multiple cabinet responsibilities.

And no, the pay and benefits are not doubled.

There is no pleasing the negative noddies of the foreign community is there? 18 ministers were changed including many who had drawn the criticism of TVFers. Chalerm is moved aside, which is what they wanted, and the only response is one of negativity.

Paveena Hongsakul, a women's and children's rights advocate, is the new Minister of Social Development and Human Security.Thailand has a serious problem with human trafficking and domestic violence. Now there is a minister that is considered to be one of the strongest advocates in the country and that has the confidence of the organizations both domestic and international that are involved.

A thread on education doesn't go by without comments that educational policy does not reflect Thailand needs. Well now there's an education minister who has some knowledge. Chaturon Chaisaeng, the education minister, has past experience in developing educational policy in response to national economic requirements.

Is it so difficult to recognize that the changes are a positive change?

Edited by geriatrickid

Another star missing is our favorite. Plodprasop. Unless, I have missed something.

Like I said in a previous thread, get your WP renewed ASAP. I am sure Chalerm will think up some nasty new policy.

I am up for renewal next month, so might make it before he makes things difficult this year.

I shudder to think what the WP requirements will be next year. On the other hand, who knows. They might have another reshuffle by that time.

Or a new election. Or a coup. Or something.

If the work you are doing is of value to the national economy, then there is no need to worry.

Chalerm was also deputy PM, how the mighty have fallen, the labour ministry! Still a few drops of the ear medecine and he won't know the difference.

Edited by ggold

The PM will get double the aggravation and double the infantile innuendo.

It is not uncommon in a parliamentary democracy to have ministers including the PM to take on multiple cabinet responsibilities.

And no, the pay and benefits are not doubled.

Nothing less than she deserves.

There is no pleasing the negative noddies of the foreign community is there? 18 ministers were changed including many who had drawn the criticism of TVFers. Chalerm is moved aside, which is what they wanted, and the only response is one of negativity.

Paveena Hongsakul, a women's and children's rights advocate, is the new Minister of Social Development and Human Security.Thailand has a serious problem with human trafficking and domestic violence. Now there is a minister that is considered to be one of the strongest advocates in the country and that has the confidence of the organizations both domestic and international that are involved.

A thread on education doesn't go by without comments that educational policy does not reflect Thailand needs. Well now there's an education minister who has some knowledge. Chaturon Chaisaeng, the education minister, has past experience in developing educational policy in response to national economic requirements.

Is it so difficult to recognize that the changes are a positive change?

So why didn't these amazing people solve these respective problems when Thaksin was last PM? All we have here is the recycling of officials found corrupt by the courts.

Does Thaksin honestly think that putting the muppet into the seat of defense minister could/will prevent/stop another coup?

Silly rabbit.

You are not in a position to describe the PM of Thailand as a muppet. Go look in the mirror.

I really wonder about you sometimes with comments like that. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Chalerm was also deputy PM, how the mighty have fallen, the labour ministry! Still a few drops of the ear medecine and he won't know the difference.

I have no doubts that because of all this anxiety, he has been completely minging all weekend. Well at least he was in the privacy of the estate he has acquired (not bad for a Captain Policeman).

• Like 1

Maybe this compulsary insurance is good ,due to the civil war that will ensure due to the defense minister.This is a major kick in the to teeth Thais and to chalerm which isnt a bad thing .