Secret no-fly list causes Bangkok holiday nightmare

webfact

I think he was a diversion from some thing more sinister being conjured up, or used as a CIA marketing ploy to scare the shit out of us, or, he was a CIA former informer who decided not to inform, or they cant find Snowdon, so lets drag attention away from our billion dollar surveillance that cant find anyone.. or..or...or.... fact is, we dont know shit and never will... let the sheep be silent...coffee1.gif

Or, as the shepherd said to the dogs, "Get the flock out of here"............................tongue.png

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some sickening opinions on here.

Muslims may be responsible for most of the Western-reported terrorism but the terrorism that goes on every day in the name of freedom - of which this is an example - is not acceptable.

You need to take a look at yourselves and ask whether you are part of the problem.

Are you trying to suggest that the posters on TV are even remotely personally responsible for human atrocities that occur all over the world and have occured throughout history? By this logic, it would make sense for each individual German to apologize for what happens in Palestine, each Russian to apologize for what happens in post-Soviet satellite states like Turkmenistan, each denizen of Japan to personally apologize for what happened in China, each American to apologize for every Iraqi casualty, and all Europeans and Americans to apologize for the state of Africa today. Not only would that be absurd, but it would simultaneously suggest that only Americans are responsible for Islamic terrorism, as though Muslims themselves never should have to bear any responsibility for the state of affairs in their respective countries. I think most people around the world would like to go about their days taking care of business and family without worrying about whether a bunch of crazed-zealots are going to murder their husbands, wives, and children. Do TV posters strap on explosives and murder women and children? Your point makes a lot of sense (depending on perspective), but everything is relative, and if you go back far enough, we would all be criminals and murderers at some point. The question is, relatively speaking, who is more morally culpable for modern atrocities? You can make the argument that Linda in Kentucky is as culpable as Zacarias Moussaoui for violence and evil, but I wouldn't buy it, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I support more awareness of how certain countries foreign policies affect people around the world. I don't think that every American is personally responsible for what happens in Syria today.

Yeah Ok, Unkomoncents

PI Sek did not say that at all and you very well know that he did not say that.

But here you are, redacting his brief statement and then extrapolating the nonsensical argumentum ad logicum straw men UTTERLY of your own creation. How fun it must be to placidly rework an honest response into such an egregious bolus of verbal excrement and then to serve it to unsuspecting members of this forum as foie gras.

You know that you're being dishonest and that you're defending hate and haters with your own disgusting crimes against logic but you do it anyway.

You knew that when you wrote that silly rant up there but you posted it any way.

To have done so, to have posted such an openly craven misrepresentation of Pi Sek's original post and to ascribe your rant to "WE" as if you spoke for some perceived majority was to insult the education, intelligence and the thought processes of the majority of this forum.

Your purpose was simply to fan dance and to pander to the lowest elements of human nature.

Ignorance (of the facts)

Hatred (of an American of Islamic origin)

Fear mongering

Prejudice

Exclusionary ritual and incantation

and much much more.

You and your lying, smearing hate-mongering antics are merely sharpening your opponents wit and strengthening their resolve.

Love

Donnie

Dear Love Donnie:

People like you and Pi Sek don't run countries. In fact, you charming firebrands couldn't run any organization bigger than a Dunkin Donuts franchise. You couldn't recognize an aggregate perspective if it gave you prostate exam. You can try to smear my thinking with creative accusations of racism all day long. The fact is that your concept of the collective good is as deficient as a contingency plan for a Ponzi scheme.

Tenderly,

Unkomoncents

I don't think any of this bickering is extending the debate at all.

As Donnie suggested, the Voice of Fear is strong within many - including you - and that is no insult... it is a shame.

My original point, which seems to have been lost, stands: bending to the will of the Voice of Fear is bending to the will of terrorism and is not helping. It exacerbates the problem and creates further division, which creates further tension and brings about further terrorism (on both sides, too!).

I won't go into whether or not people are wrong or right to "dress like a terrorist" when getting on airplanes because my opinion is so diametrically opposed to some others that it can only end up with some poor chap (maybe me, maybe someone else) getting offended. For this reason I decided to butt out of this thread but I got a Thaivisa notification that someone liked my original post which led me to your comment above.

Some have suggested that I "sit on a plane next to this guy for 23 hours" in an attempt to prove whether people are scared of this type of thing or not, and whether this is justified. Well, when I was managing a project in Narathiwat (2009-2011), I had FAR more obvious examples of perceived threats to my safety (I see you changed your post from "you can be sure people like you don't manage anything" to "couldn't run any organization bigger than a Dunkin Donuts franchise"). I was slightly worried more than once, but I found I was wrong to be. However, you're right, I don't manage countries. I can't see what is "firebrand" about my posts either, I just said I was sickened by the inherent prejudice against guys with beards on a gap year from college. Maybe you can enlighten me.

• Like 1

He refused to answer any questions without a lawyer present, so we know he is stupid.

The story does not say he visited Pakistan

Can anyone enlighten me as to why you would wonder the airport terminal for four days waiting to be questioned,why did he not stay in a hotel ?

Also, actually, as an American citizen, did he seek Consular Support?

I wonder?

With most things ... there is a lot more left unsaid.

What were the triggers which placed him initially (presumably) on the no-fly list?

A lot of unknowns for sure

Are you trying to suggest that the posters on TV are even remotely personally responsible for human atrocities that occur all over the world and have occured throughout history? By this logic, it would make sense for each individual German to apologize for what happens in Palestine, each Russian to apologize for what happens in post-Soviet satellite states like Turkmenistan, each denizen of Japan to personally apologize for what happened in China, each American to apologize for every Iraqi casualty, and all Europeans and Americans to apologize for the state of Africa today. Not only would that be absurd, but it would simultaneously suggest that only Americans are responsible for Islamic terrorism, as though Muslims themselves never should have to bear any responsibility for the state of affairs in their respective countries. I think most people around the world would like to go about their days taking care of business and family without worrying about whether a bunch of crazed-zealots are going to murder their husbands, wives, and children. Do TV posters strap on explosives and murder women and children? Your point makes a lot of sense (depending on perspective), but everything is relative, and if you go back far enough, we would all be criminals and murderers at some point. The question is, relatively speaking, who is more morally culpable for modern atrocities? You can make the argument that Linda in Kentucky is as culpable as Zacarias Moussaoui for violence and evil, but I wouldn't buy it, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I support more awareness of how certain countries foreign policies affect people around the world. I don't think that every American is personally responsible for what happens in Syria today.

Yeah Ok, Unkomoncents

But here you are, redacting his brief statement and then extrapolating the nonsensical argumentum ad logicum straw men UTTERLY of your own creation. How fun it must be to placidly rework an honest response into such an egregious bolus of verbal excrement and then to serve it to unsuspecting members of this forum as foie gras.

You know that you're being dishonest and that you're defending hate and haters with your own disgusting crimes against logic but you do it anyway.

You knew that when you wrote that silly rant up there but you posted it any way.

To have done so, to have posted such an openly craven misrepresentation of Pi Sek's original post and to ascribe your rant to "WE" as if you spoke for some perceived majority was to insult the education, intelligence and the thought processes of the majority of this forum.

Your purpose was simply to fan dance and to pander to the lowest elements of human nature.

Ignorance (of the facts)

Fear mongering

Prejudice

and much much more.

You and your lying, smearing hate-mongering antics are merely sharpening your opponents wit and strengthening their resolve.

Love

Donnie

Dear Love Donnie:

People like you and Pi Sek don't run countries. In fact, you charming firebrands couldn't run any organization bigger than a Dunkin Donuts franchise. You couldn't recognize an aggregate perspective if it gave you prostate exam. You can try to smear my thinking with creative accusations of racism all day long. The fact is that your concept of the collective good is as deficient as a contingency plan for a Ponzi scheme.

Tenderly,

Unkomoncents

As Donnie suggested, the Voice of Fear is strong within many - including you - and that is no insult... it is a shame.

My original point, which seems to have been lost, stands: bending to the will of the Voice of Fear is bending to the will of terrorism and is not helping. It exacerbates the problem and creates further division, which creates further tension and brings about further terrorism (on both sides, too!).

I won't go into whether or not people are wrong or right to "dress like a terrorist" when getting on airplanes because my opinion is so diametrically opposed to some others that it can only end up with some poor chap (maybe me, maybe someone else) getting offended. For this reason I decided to butt out of this thread but I got a Thaivisa notification that someone liked my original post which led me to your comment above.

Some have suggested that I "sit on a plane next to this guy for 23 hours" in an attempt to prove whether people are scared of this type of thing or not, and whether this is justified. Well, when I was managing a project in Narathiwat (2009-2011), I had FAR more obvious examples of perceived threats to my safety (I see you changed your post from "you can be sure people like you don't manage anything" to "couldn't run any organization bigger than a Dunkin Donuts franchise"). I was slightly worried more than once, but I found I was wrong to be. However, you're right, I don't manage countries. I can't see what is "firebrand" about my posts either, I just said I was sickened by the inherent prejudice against guys with beards on a gap year from college. Maybe you can enlighten me.

No, I don't offer enlightenment, unfortunately for me. I see this man's perspective. I also see the perspective of people who have survived terrorist attacks. As some my family friends died in the attacks on 9/11, I happen to choose what I see is a safer perspective. If this gentleman was smart, he would have cooperated, as trying to be Che Guevera will get trustafarian political dilettantes nowhere. I'm not sorry, I don't care. This has nothing to do with me outside my preference for freedom balanced with safety. You can preach all day long about how this man is innocent but I don't care. You are simply speaking speculatively about what you think you know and what you think you don't know. At the end of the day, it's irrelevant whether you think this is "just" or not. It's irrelevant what I think. A far larger system than (it seems) you could begin to contemplate exists, and if you look closer, the number of people who are perfectly content with the ability to care for their families makes the number of psychopaths who think the world cares about their tribal political views look insignificant. Western philosophy helps people conclude that their personal gripes somehow matter to the world. They don't.

There is surely a lesson here. If you look and dress like Bin Laden, fly to Pakistan and Indonesia meeting with fundamentalist Islam groups like Tablighi Jamaat, there is a very good chance your freedom to travel will be curtailed. If he looked and acted like the Californian med student he claims to be he would have passed through Bangkok without drama. His choice.

[snip]

jaidam that's good advice for all would be terrorists, and the 911 bombers clearly followed your wisdom. They all looked like nerdy students and western business men when they boarded their planes with knives.

Fortunately for the rest of us mortals, now days airport security are a little more astute than using your genius ability to judge a terrorist just by appearance.

• Like 1

Yeah Ok, Unkomoncents

Ignorance (of the facts)

Fear mongering

Prejudice

and much much more.

Love

Donnie

Dear Love Donnie:

Tenderly,

Unkomoncents

No, I don't offer enlightenment, unfortunately for me. I see this man's perspective. I also see the perspective of people who have survived terrorist attacks. As some my family friends died in the attacks on 9/11, I happen to choose what I see is a safer perspective. If this gentleman was smart, he would have cooperated, as trying to be Che Guevera will get trustafarian political dilettantes nowhere. I'm not sorry, I don't care. This has nothing to do with me outside my preference for freedom balanced with safety. You can preach all day long about how this man is innocent but I don't care. You are simply speaking speculatively about what you think you know and what you think you don't know. At the end of the day, it's irrelevant whether you think this is "just" or not. It's irrelevant what I think. A far larger system than (it seems) you could begin to contemplate exists, and if you look closer, the number of people who are perfectly content with the ability to care for their families makes the number of psychopaths who think the world cares about their tribal political views look insignificant. Western philosophy helps people conclude that their personal gripes somehow matter to the world. They don't.

Again, you're mis-interpreting what I was writing... I'm not saying this guy is innocent or guilty. The US aren't offering anything to say about this guy's innocence/guilt and neither is anyone else - outside public discussion.

I'm saying that some of the comments in public discussion reflect fear through ignorance, and that is dangerous because it makes other ignorant people hate more, which genuinely makes me afraid for the future of the human race and therefore sickens me. It's going backwards, not forwards - and offers no solution to any problem. I think that's what Donnie was suggesting too.

Muslims make up a significant proportion of the human race, and we have people here posting utter hatred - "How to wink at a Muslim" being a great example. How can this type of stuff do anything other than create further hatred and division? It's not about taking sides, it's about mutual human respect.

• Like 2

Dear Love Donnie:

Tenderly,

Unkomoncents

Unkomoncents

Your statements make no sense, either in logic or content.

(That's a kind polite way to refer to a dissembler's lies and disingenuous misrepresentations

"People like you and Pi Sek don't run countries."

Delivered as if ***you do*** or you hang out with those who do or you get minutes from policy and planning ?

Yeah, "as if"

"In fact, you charming firebrands couldn't run any organization bigger than a Dunkin Donuts franchise."

Neither as charming as your Michael Chertoff's, your Janet Napolitano's or your entire Think Tank secret government nor as much of a "firebrand" as you and your lynch mob rhetoric, I live and work and am failing miserably at trying to spend my money in a country where there are no Dunkin Donuts franchises: THAILAND. Here they are all owned by the same Indian group that holds Au Bon Pain and a number of Italian restaurants.

You seem to be batting for a much much more general agenda. What would that be ? American exceptionalism perhaps ?

Good luck with THAT one.

"You couldn't recognize an aggregate perspective if it gave you prostate exam."

You brandish the econometrician's or the propagandist's eponymous term "aggregate perspective ". You do realize, of course that that's just a fancy term for mob rule. "Scare and repair". In the manipulation of public behavior in the Amerikan jurisdiction (thankfully much less in other regimes) the you are referring to the "Reaction" phase of a classic PRS gambit. The part where the dumbed down, fear-addled public or "the market" has surrendered all its critical thought faculties in exchange for "security".

Happily, we're not yet ready for "Robespierre" in spite of your scare media, your "intelligence community'"s surveillance rituals and spurious astroturfing incantations from the likes of you :-).

As for your offer of a prostate poke, my first instinct was to reject it as an implicit and spurious claim to being a physician. Upon reflection, your arrogance and your pretense are "hand and glove" with that of a retired GP who found to dis delight that he always able to solicit concurrence and compliance during a rectal probe. (Actually I was expecting an R in there but I expect that you ARE a physician. You talk politics like one.

"You can try to smear my thinking with creative accusations of racism all day long."

What you risibly refer to as "your thinking" was a series of straw man blurts and smears against a poster who found himself sickened by the depth and the breadth of the racist hate and mob-think on your side of this issue. Tour flawed contentions and assertions, lovingly crafted and rendered for a peanut gallery of haters and lazy-@$$ military/security complex wannabes were all, and continue to be in this recent post of yours, logical fallacies. Incantation, guileful pronouncements, scare-mongering.

"The fact is that your concept of the collective good is as deficient as a contingency plan for a Ponzi scheme."

In THIS specious declaration of "fact" and its tenuous reference to ?ponzi? you bare your frustrations with the bankruptcy and the moral turpitude of those why would sit back on a pile of fear and try to collect "likes" for their (what was it ?) aggregate perspective.

In this dramatic contest between Truth and your brand of Merlinism your own ignorance logical fallacies reveal you as a mere sycophant to those in power.

Pi Sek was speaking truth to lynch mob group think.

You thrive on sucking up to them and groveling for their likes.

" Mutual human respect Eh?' OK so I'll go along with that so long as it really is mutual. trouble is I don't see how this can happen when one side of the equation is unequivocally told in it's holy book of instructions that the opposition must either convert to their way of thinking or be destroyed.

" Mutual human respect Eh?' OK so I'll go along with that so long as it really is mutual. trouble is I don't see how this can happen when one side of the equation is unequivocally told in it's holy book of instructions that the opposition must either convert to their way of thinking or be destroyed.

Actually, barrybankraud BOTH "holy books" push for the annihilation of infidels, unbelievers and the unclean and the "dressed funny" and the (well you know :-).

We can make a region out of anything.

Anything.

It's what we do when we are afraid or when we are effectively made to be afraid by others.

Some of us get a kick out of blowing the whistle on the over-the-top scare mongers and ooga-booga artists that pop up on these boards.

This whole push for the so-called "collective good" has always been the mantra of tyrants.

Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin and Mao got millions of "likes" when they used it.

You don't get popular and loved by the mob by telling them that it's gonna be your way or shoe & belt soup or the lime pit.

Anyway, sure the bearded medical student from (what was it?) LA dressed ethnically and via Ron Paul supported the US constitution.

I would gladly have taken a seat beside him on a BKK/LAX flight and made every effort to engage him in conversation.

I'd have had a million questions for him.

No drama.

• Like 2

Looks perfectly American to me.

His name too. giggle.gif

So...who looks (and is named) "perfectly American" to you?

Billy Bob Thornton in a cowboy- hat?

John Wayne ?

Edited by retell
  • Like 1

I am an American citizen. I have been in an out of Bangkok's 2 airports at least 14 times.Flew out of one yesterday. Never any porblems. Always treated with respect. Never seen a cockroach, clean and decent, right down to the toilets, eveyone professional. I think there is more to this story than the crybaby states.

No bridge here mate. Just the cold hard fact of what I believe.

>Fact

>What I believe

Pick one.

Figure it out little man.

Ooh, don't I feel all patronised to hell? How shall I ever recover from this crushing blow to the very core of my self esteem?

No bridge here mate. Just the cold hard fact of what I believe.

>Fact

>What I believe

Pick one.

Figure it out little man.

Ooh, don't I feel all patronised to hell? How shall I ever recover from this crushing blow to the very core of my self esteem?

Seems like you are a little worked up there.

Edited by nottocus
  • Like 1

Guys that look like and smell like a risk are probably just that. Then there are those that seem harmless enough, but are also are risk.

Therefore, we don't really know who is dangerous and who isn't. Erring on the side of caution is better than being all nice to people and ending up blown to pieces.

Suspicion before respect....the best policy.

And the good thing about it is, you don't need to apply it just to Muslims. You can apply it to everybody.

Edited by nottocus
  • Like 1

so many haterz and racists are cropping up here - you cannot judge a man from his face or the clothes he is walking in - these phobias and paranoias are a social poison and the global community must learn the true meaning of OneLuv

Peace, bro.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think those who want to be seen with fuzzy faces, wearing robes and sandals do themselves a disservice by attracting attention.

If there have been dozens of atrocities perpetrated by muslims, is it not fair to give those dressed as, and appearing to be muslims, a little more attention? I think so.

I reckon anyone who looks similar to this guy should also be given "a little more attention".

You would obviously agree.

post-31025-0-27590400-1374642576_thumb.j

• Like 2

Where do you start........?

Firstly, by quoting some actual facts, instead of BS you saw on ACA/Today Tonight, or gleaned from listening to one of the right wing Oz shock jocks.

Followed up by doing some background checking on the BS emails you receive (and obviously swallow hook, line and sinker) - as I did for the "Putin Duma Speech" when I received the same email.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/r/Putin-Says-No.htm#.Ue-OXW3LJ9A

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/putin-duma-speech-sharia-law.shtml

Jack you get your information from where? A website? You have no idea who owns/runs the site or what their motives or intentions are. That's the problem with the internet, you can believe whatever you choose to believe.

How about Putin's official Kremlin website http://eng.kremlin.ru/transcripts - which is linked to in both the sites I linked to above.

I suspect that has far more credibility than an email you have received - probably from one of your equally Islamophobic mates - which, from memory, provides absolutely no source.

• Like 1

Where do you start........?

Firstly, by quoting some actual facts, instead of BS you saw on ACA/Today Tonight, or gleaned from listening to one of the right wing Oz shock jocks.

Followed up by doing some background checking on the BS emails you receive (and obviously swallow hook, line and sinker) - as I did for the "Putin Duma Speech" when I received the same email.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/r/Putin-Says-No.htm#.Ue-OXW3LJ9A

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/putin-duma-speech-sharia-law.shtml

Jack you get your information from where? A website? You have no idea who owns/runs the site or what their motives or intentions are. That's the problem with the internet, you can believe whatever you choose to believe.

How about Putin's official Kremlin website http://eng.kremlin.ru/transcripts - which is linked to in both the sites I linked to above.

I suspect that has far more credibility than an email you have received - probably from one of your equally Islamophobic mates - which, from memory, provides absolutely no source.

"Islamophobic". LOL. Yeah, I'm afraid of being blown up or having my head removed by a fanatic muslim, and really, of anybody else having to suffer such a fate either. I'm not a fan of the idea that someone should be condemned to death for NOT being a muslim, or subject to muslim law & practice without their consent either. Not so much "afraid" as "contemptuous" of though. Anyway, I guess I'm an "islamophobe". One can either BE an islamophobe, as you like to put it, or have a death wish, one or t'other.

One can either BE an islamophobe, as you like to put it, or have a death wish, one or t'other.

Yes, I can see your problem. With 1.5 billion+ of those potential assassins in the world, I can only suggest you consider buying a big, new sofa.

l.jpg

• Like 1