Why So Many Short-time Hotels in Nonthanburi?

I moved recently from Bangkok to just over the border into Nonthanburi, near the Nakon-In Road and Rachapruek Road circle. Where I lived before (Bang Bon), I think there was one short-time hotel within a couple kilometers of my apartment. There may have been more, but the wife and I don't really need one, so I never paid that much attention.

However, where I live now, it is hard to miss them. There has to be 8 or 9 within spitting distance of the circle, all with pretty garish signs advertising their services. One, which has the truth-in-advertising name of "Gigs Town," looks to have well over 100 rooms (this is where some guy from Min Buri drove to drop off the body of the girl he killed in a room there a month or two back.) Near our home, which is well off the main road, we've been watching construction on another building, and last night, we realized that it is another short time hotel, this one looking to have about 80 rooms.

They wouldn't be building them if there wasn't money to be made, but why are they all congregated there? There aren't any bars, per se. No dance places, no places where singles or wannabe singles would hang out. If this was Europe or the USA, I would say it might have to do with zoning, but this is Thailand.

I'm not complaining. I'm curious. Why all there? And who are the customers? Where are the coming from? This is not a densely populated area.

Probably that the local authorities are more open to such places and the envelopes they produce than in your last area.

Sex as bartering is a lot more common here than you would automatically think, partly due to a fortunate lack of Christo-Judeo conditioning of sexual guilt in the culture, the body simply being a vessel for the being, and the material desire and want for more, More, MORE.

Edited by 1020
  • Like 1

Probably that the local authorities are more open to such places and the envelopes they produce than in your last area.

Sex as bartering is a lot more common here than you would automatically think, partly due to a fortunate lack of Christo-Judeo conditioning of sexual guilt in the culture, the body simply being a vessel for the being, and the material desire and want for more, More, MORE.

I'm not being facetious, but a short-time hotel needs bribes? They don't offer people for hire, just rooms by the hour or three, right? I know in Taiwan, short time hotels are often used by married couples who have kids or parents at home with little privacy. I know they are also used by married people--just not married to each other.

But are they illegal in Thailand that they would need to pay bribes to keep open?

Edited by luckizuchinni
  • Like 1

They are all probably new. The same in my province, it seems every week a new one is being built. The samething happened in the 90's with shophouses. Back then it was a way to get money from the bank. The banker would value someone's land at say ฿3.5 million but tell them if they put a shophouse on it for ฿10 million he could loan them ฿20 million. Of course the banker and his bosses might want ฿1 million commission, but you would still have ฿5.5 million in your pocket. Of course the loan would never be paid back. Thus the 1997 financial crises. I think the same thing is happening now using short time hotels.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I live in nontaburi also, I go out to the local bars in the area around were you are talking about.

There is a lot of Mia nois in the river side bars and restaurants in the area . Most farang only see the western side of things but I can assure u the Thai side of the night life and Mia noi gig industry in this area is massive. Along with the massage parlors , on rattan a Tibet alone there is from the ones I know about 12 massage parlors.

If you take a drive aronund the area you would see many restaurants and bars tucked away in areas were the Thai man goes with there Mia noi or gigs.

A lot of people come to nontaburi from other areas also.

I have been in the area now for 10 years I agreed big changes here .

Drop me a PM if you want to get together for a beer some day

I live in nontaburi also, I go out to the local bars in the area around were you are talking about.

There is a lot of Mia nois in the river side bars and restaurants in the area . Most farang only see the western side of things but I can assure u the Thai side of the night life and Mia noi gig industry in this area is massive. Along with the massage parlors , on rattan a Tibet alone there is from the ones I know about 12 massage parlors.

If you take a drive aronund the area you would see many restaurants and bars tucked away in areas were the Thai man goes with there Mia noi or gigs.

A lot of people come to nontaburi from other areas also.

I have been in the area now for 10 years I agreed big changes here .

Drop me a PM if you want to get together for a beer some day

• Like 1

I'm not being facetious, but a short-time hotel needs bribes? They don't offer people for hire, just rooms by the hour or three, right? I know in Taiwan, short time hotels are often used by married couples who have kids or parents at home with little privacy. I know they are also used by married people--just not married to each other.

But are they illegal in Thailand that they would need to pay bribes to keep open?

Most businesses like these would have to pay protection money to operate without H&S etc etc (any other BS excuse) disrupting their business and closing them down, unless owned by influential people.

Just off the plane mate?

For a quick education in Thai business read up on Santika nightclub and the ownership of it. Opened in a district that did not allow such venues it was licensed as a 'Noodle Shop' and was not allowed to sell alcohol. The police raids stopped as soon as the local high-up police officer was made a share holder... take a look at the full story of it.

Corruption rules this land from top to bottom, whether you think a business is legal or not, and don't you ever forget it.

In the west we grew up with the backseat of cars....a motorycle seat is not nearly as comfortable. People need somewhere to take their friends to as it is not done to do it at home.

Of course there is always the commercial trade too for those who do not want to or cannot bring their own.

hahahahaha, when we went to Bangkok last weekend we arrived at 1 am and the only hotel we could find was one of these. Couldnt work out why so many people were staring at us carrying a small suitcase upstairs until I got in the room and saw the hire by the hour sign and got a descent wiff of the place, probably thought we had brought our own "toys". Worst nights sleep I had for a long time but every room was full and we had gotten the last one so I wasnt going to bitch, it had a dunny and a shower and a bed, they even brought us a clean cover for it ans we slept on top of that.sick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

Edited by seajae

How do I get there from Australia???

Start swimming, but instead of heading across the ditch (to New Zealand), once you clear Sydney Heads, turn left, not right ... laugh.png

Also make sure you walk sideways through the turnstiles when you arrive. laugh.png

Turnstile.alewife.agr.jpg

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I asked this question to a Thai friend who is heavily involved in the real estate development market. He stated that licenses for short time hotels are managed, much like massage parlors, and the quota for Bangkok has long been filled. So someone wanting to open such an establishment would have to buy a license off of a current holder or move to another jurisdiction.

Nonthaburi's quotas are nowhere near being filled, so developer flock to just over the border and build the hotels, counting on Bangkok residents to scoot over the border for their activities.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, I asked this question to a Thai friend who is heavily involved in the real estate development market. He stated that licenses for short time hotels are managed, much like massage parlors, and the quota for Bangkok has long been filled. So someone wanting to open such an establishment would have to buy a license off of a current holder or move to another jurisdiction.

Or give some nice envelopes.

Remember the Santika 'Noodle stall' in a district banning nightclubs. :whistling: