Extending stay in kingdom (retirement)

circusman

What are the latest copies needed at C.M. Immigration? First page of passport, latest arrival stamp copy, latest arrival card copy, latest visa stamp copy, Notarized letter from Embassy to verify income. Have I missed any? What about a passport sized photo?

Edited by metisdead
Large font resized to normal

There is never a definitive answer to your question. When you get to Immigration they will always find something they need that you don't have.

You need the photo and you need copies of any/all the previous visas you have had. BTW you question is soon to banished to the Visa/Immigration

forum by your "friendly" moderator.

There is never a definitive answer to your question. When you get to Immigration they will always find something they need that you don't have.

You need the photo and you need copies of any/all the previous visas you have had. BTW you question is soon to banished to the Visa/Immigration

forum by your "friendly" moderator.

And why would your 'friendly' moderator banish the question ? But I agree with your answer 'never definitive'. The OP has the about the correct paperwork idea, a copy of those items, for the one year retirement extension, plus a photo. And I agree with L&J, there is never a definitive answer, much depends on the mood of the processing officer. Even when I have gone to trouble of copying every page in my passport (just to be sure) some officers find something extra required. I have pointed out to the officer that it's in the pile of copies, but I get a hard look and have to scurry off to the photo copy office. Later the officer throws out the unnecessary copies, much to my annoyance. But remember Jai Yin Yin ...biggrin.png

Much like Immigration there is never a definitive answer as what the Moderator will do with a topic. Since it mentioned

Visa requirements I would have totally expected it to go to another place. Which it may well have done otherwise. smile.png

• Like 1

Visa extension document requirements in Chiang Mai,to the best of my knowledge are noted below. Yes, requests can vary, but in my case the following have always sufficed. Normal processing time: 10 - 15 minutes, if you are prepared.

1. TM7 Application (completed, signed and with addition of telephone number and/or email address)

2. One passport-sized photo.

Photocopies:

3. Passport ID Page.

4. Last Border entry stamp

5. Departure Card

6. Re-Entry Permit (if current) [Not always requested]

7. All Thai visas including the original and all extensions [Almost always requested]

8. Bank letter plus photocopies of all relevant account book ID pages and transaction pages ; pension affidavit; or combination thereof proving Bt65k monthly income.

NOTE 1: People have been asked to provide proof of funds transfers from abroad and/or (rarely) documents proving pensions, such as pension entitlement declarations. Local and foreign account bank books and statements generally work. Whether it is worth it to photocopy this material (except in 8 above) in advance is debatable. I have never been asked in several years for this information.

NOTE 2: If a retiree has a spouse or other eligible close relative getting a NI-O (Dependent) visa, the financial support (as above) needs to be documented as with the retiree. A dependent does not have to show financial independence. Also, of course, documentation to prove dependency (e.g., marriage certificate, birth certificate) need to be shown.

NOTE 3: If you have an old passport with Thai NI-O Long-Stay visa and extension stamps in it, bring it.

Visa extensions can be assisted by agents in Chiang Mai. Assist Thai Visa Services is a good one: http://www.assistthaivisa.com. This would be especially true in case of medical incapacity.

I think that's it.

Edited by Mapguy

With the exception of copies for all the previous extensions. You have pretty well got it. I have never had a problem with extending my retirement or what ever you want to call it.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I always have copies of my letters from various pensions in addition to the letter from the consulate with me. Looks good and I always have my Thai wife who is very familiar with what is needed. In fact she prepares it all for me with the exception of the form that I fill out myself.

Like I say I don't know if it helps but I think it looks good to them.

MHS immigration insist that the consular income affidavit be translated into Thai by an official translator.

That sucks.

What have they got a convenient translator on site.

For a price of course.

I could be wrong but I believe you had mentioned living in Pai could you not come into Chiang Mai and get it done here?

Hubby thought he had it all covered last time and then they asked if he rented or owned his condo. When he said he rented, he was asked for his lease! He did the sad dog look at all pile of documents he'd brought and said he didn't have the lease and besides it was in his wife's name. (It is, but they probably assumed it was a Thai wife.) Anyway they "let him go" with a warming to "bring the lease next time".

Hubby thought he had it all covered last time and then they asked if he rented or owned his condo. When he said he rented, he was asked for his lease! He did the sad dog look at all pile of documents he'd brought and said he didn't have the lease and besides it was in his wife's name. (It is, but they probably assumed it was a Thai wife.) Anyway they "let him go" with a warming to "bring the lease next time".

They have asked me for this document each and every year for the last 5 years.

Rent or own a condo ??!! huh.png

That's a new one! What possible bearing would that have as a proof of anything to do with Immigration law ? Did Hubby forget to shower, or what ! wacko.png

There are two officers who for a few years now have routinely done retirement visa and extension work. The senior sergeant on the right at the back of the room, and the woman, also on the right, behind the 90-day Report station. Which was it? I have found both of them eminently reasonable and efficient as well as helpful. Or was it, SHUDDER, she who must be obeyed who has normally been handling marriage visas to "help." Is she still there? I haven't noticed.

I assume MHS is Mae Hong Song.

I always get the guy at the back on the right...every year without fail. We must be assigned to certain officers, no? He never says a single word to me and just hands me that one form we have to sign. A couple of times I have forgotten to give him the copy of my rental agreement (which I always have in my file with me), and he has asked me in Thai to produce it.

So I have not been able to get an appointment on-line for months now. This will be the first time I will go w/o the on-line queue card. I need to go this week or next. Is 7:00 A.M. too early? Not early enough?

Thanks.

See, Hubby isn't the only one who's been asked to produce a rental agreement! And yes, he showers at least twice and usually three times daily. He even wears long pants, socks, real shoes and a shirt with sleeves and buttons to Immigration.

As for Electrified's delimina, yes 7 am should be soon enough, provided you're politely assertive with all the late-comers when they open the door. Goodness, Mapguy made it sound like a tea party there today, what with everyone being so polite and well-dressed.

The last time I did it I got there at 8:00 and didn't get out until darn near 3:00.

so I would say yes 7:00 is a good time.

There goes your "never more than an hour and fifteen minutes" record !

Do you have a tablet that you can check ThaiVisa while you wait? I heard they have free WiFi.

See, Hubby isn't the only one who's been asked to produce a rental agreement! And yes, he showers at least twice and usually three times daily. He even wears long pants, socks, real shoes and a shirt with sleeves and buttons to Immigration.

As for Electrified's delimina, yes 7 am should be soon enough, provided you're politely assertive with all the late-comers when they open the door. Goodness, Mapguy made it sound like a tea party there today, what with everyone being so polite and well-dressed.

Thanks for that. 7:00 it will be.

And I too, always wear slacks and a button down shirt when visiting government offices in Thailand. It may seem silly but it is what the Thais in every class-level do and shows that you are being respectful to their custom. I wouldn't bother in USA or Europe but this is Thailand.

• Like 1

MHS immigration insist that the consular income affidavit be translated into Thai by an official translator.

That sucks.

For a price of course.

I could be wrong but I believe you had mentioned living in Pai could you not come into Chiang Mai and get it done here?

It sucked even worse since the nearest licensed translator is in CM. AFAIK you have to go to the office in your home province for visa extension. Even though they run their own little fiefdom their own power-mad way, they do come to Pai once a month (and more often soon, rumor has it) and I've never seen a scene here or MHS like what is described as a daily ordeal there in CM.

The last time I did it I got there at 8:00 and didn't get out until darn near 3:00.

Do you have a tablet that you can check ThaiVisa while you wait? I heard they have free WiFi.

Hate to bring reality into your world but it was 1and 1/2 hour wait and that was for a 90 day report not a extension.

You best get a agent to handle it for you as you seem to be easily confused.

That sucks.

For a price of course.

It sucked even worse since the nearest licensed translator is in CM. AFAIK you have to go to the office in your home province for visa extension. Even though they run their own little fiefdom their own power-mad way, they do come to Pai once a month (and more often soon, rumor has it) and I've never seen a scene here or MHS like what is described as a daily ordeal there in CM.

Well yes it can be a scene but what a lot of posters myself included forget to mention it has a lot to do with the Burmese. As you can see the 90 days have been going smoothly the extensions unless you have an appointment can be time consuming. But still shorter time than coming into Chiang Mai and getting it translated and then driving to MHS. Maybe when they send the fellow in to Pai he will be more senseable.

Good Luck

Hate to bring reality into your world but it was 1and 1/2 hour wait and that was for a 90 day report not a extension.

You best get a agent to handle it for you as you seem to be easily confused.

Wow! I didn't realize joking remarks are only allowed for you and when you like them.

I already have an agent handling it for me.

I admit I am easily confused.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

Wow! I didn't realize joking remarks are only allowed for you and when you like them.

I already have an agent handling it for me.

I admit I am easily confused.

Joking scenes are allowed but not when you are deliberately misrepresent facts that the people you are presenting your idea to have no idea of the facts. In your own inept way you were trying to make me out as lying to people.

How ever I am honored that you follow me so closely so as to be able to pick out posts from a long way back to misrepresent.

That sucks.

For a price of course.

Pai is Mae Hong Son province.

If someone happens to look at the forum without signing in they would not know they have a PM. Not everyone do things the same way. So, a post to indicate a PM has been sent should alert the person.

• Like 2