success pizza - near dukes riverside

willfreeman

Everytime I go there i mean to get the braised beef shank, but i see the schnitzel and it calls my name.

I thought it was pork schnitzel ? Maybe they have both , i cant remember...

It is really good though...might try the lamb steak next, just afraid the size wont be as big as the schnitzel.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pizzas 150-180 baht

meat dishes 100-180 baht

pastas 100-150 baht

coke 20 baht

I say give this place a try as its quite possibly one of the most sensibly priced restaurants and the quality and taste is very acceptable.

If you do go, take some pictures and post them. The restaurant is open air, but there are many, many, many fans on the ceiling. We went at 330pm and were not hot once settled in and is also a good place to just look at things as they go by, since the entire front of the restaurant is fully open.

photo0087.jpg

photo0088.jpg

I went today and I have to agree.. I went in with really low expectations, but like has been said, it's really quite nice for the money. It's not 'cuisine' but then again which pizza is; they get the thin-crust thing right, and toppings are okay. Some people prefer a thicker, more bread-like experience like you get at Pizza Hut and that's fine. This isn't like that.

It's actually pretty similar to the Canal Road place near the gold driving range (called Yummy Pizza I believe) and even though the latter is way out of town, it's priced higher. And similar to what Billy serves up at his place off Kamphaeng Din road, near AIS (also priced higher).

At Success Pizza you spend less, and get to watch the river this time of year (as the water is high enough wink.png ) and it's right downtown.

post-64232-0-06536800-1376294894_thumb.j

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

pizzas 150-180 baht

meat dishes 100-180 baht

pastas 100-150 baht

coke 20 baht

I say give this place a try as its quite possibly one of the most sensibly priced restaurants and the quality and taste is very acceptable.

If you do go, take some pictures and post them. The restaurant is open air, but there are many, many, many fans on the ceiling. We went at 330pm and were not hot once settled in and is also a good place to just look at things as they go by, since the entire front of the restaurant is fully open.

photo0087.jpg

photo0088.jpg

I went today and I have to agree.. I went in with really low expectations, but like has been said, it's really quite nice for the money. It's not 'cuisine' but then again which pizza is; they get the thin-crust thing right, and toppings are okay. Some people prefer a thicker, more bread-like experience like you get at Pizza Hut and that's fine. This isn't like that.

It's actually pretty similar to the Canal Road place near the gold driving range (called Yummy Pizza I believe) and even though the latter is way out of town, it's priced higher. And similar to what Billy serves up at his place off Kamphaeng Din road, near AIS (also priced higher).

At Success Pizza you spend less, and get to watch the river this time of year (as the water is high enough wink.png ) and it's right downtown.

attachicon.gifsuccess.jpg

Some dishes are good and others are hit and miss. I wish they would give both salad and potatoes though, seems like the lettuce doesnt cost too much for the amount that they give.

But anyhow, i found another new place. Koh Lanta Italian is my newest place for tasty Italian that's good value for money.

This one is a miss, chicken breast so small i think they got it from a Hummingbird.

photo0203.jpg

This one is a hit, chicken breast in wine sauce.

photo0204.jpg

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

Some dishes are good and others are hit and miss. I wish they would give both salad and potatoes though, seems like the lettuce doesnt cost too much for the amount that they give.

But anyhow, i found another new place. Koh Lanta Italian is my newest place for tasty Italian that's good value for money.

This one is a miss, chicken breast so small i think they got it from a Hummingbird.

That chicken breast in wine sauce looks pretty good smile.png

Was that Success or Koh Lanta ?

They both appear to be on the same table! blink.png

They both appear to be on the same table! blink.png

laugh.png

Well there ya go then

good eye as I only saw food

There's always a logical explanation, maybe it's an old one he brought back with him from holiday last year and he took it along for comparison purposes?

That would be Success .

• Like 1

That would be Success .

Thanks

Now that you mentioned location in the other thread I realize I have eaten at

Koh Lanta Italian

It was good & nice folks run that place.

We have not been back only because we rarely go

up Nimmanhaemin way.

Edited by mania

• 3 weeks later...

My deep dish, I mean deepest, apologies to open the proverbial can of pizza again but somewhere in this expansive topic someone said they'd be interested in my opinion of Duke's pizza. And again sorry but you asked for it .

Had a very nice lunch there yesterday with the Junglechef Family of Food Critics of a medium size cheese pie, greek salad and a piece of carrot cake.

The pizza was good and had the familiar grease on the top where one has to wash it off their hands like back in the States. Not my favorite that I remedy with mixing in some cheddar. But there was definitely a good amount of the greasy and gooey stuff. The presentation was a little too untraditional for me even though I have had square pieces in Italy and Italian neighborhoods in America. I like a crust to hold on to because I would not be seen dead eating pizza with a knife and fork (you have my permission to kill me if you see in the act). But the bigger problem was the different size pieces, especially with young ones counting how many the other had, with some pieces actually five times bigger than others. Don't understand the rack it's served on, maybe for cooling (and to turn tables?) but all the extra cheese that gets left from pulling off a piece fell thru the holes which the kids actually enjoyed fishing out so no great loss there. Maybe Dave could explain the purpose. Also the middle of the dough was not totally cooked which I think had something to do with those pieces having their sauce thinned out and causing the cheese to slid off. The 8 yr old Thai gourmet thought it was a bit sweet but I didn't. Maybe he's just use to us saying that about most pies here? The crust, besides the partially cooked part, and crust was good too. So overall the pie was fairly priced for here considering the restaurants location, and was no doubt a real pizza pie, so Dave that's amore! (for you and your pie).

I'll leave out a full review of the rest of the food, service etc. as this is a pizza oriented post but all was good too. Now would I go back for the pizza, a definite yes, but is it the best? Well I'll have to stick with my past and present all time favorite of the pizza at Mama Mai Pizzeria.clap2.gif

• Like 2

We were at the Dukes on Friday night for dinner. We ordered a small garlic/chicken pizza (no tomato sauce) and a Chefs salad. Fed 3 people comfortably and I have to say that for whatever reason, it was the best pizza I have ever had at the Dukes.smile.png It was cooked to perfection. My 4 y/o kid loves going to the Dukes and can eat a considerable amount of food there.

• Like 2

I agree not the most healthy and we personally only eat it on occasion as the kids like it and it's a nice causal fun meal after bowling as was the case yesterday. Brown rice and homegrown organic veg with fish from our pond or carefully store bought product is the norm at the house but as Julia Child said "Take everything in moderation including moderation". Really nothing wrong with pizza every now and then and in my opinion much more healthy (has all four food groups after all) than half the stuff they are serving nowadays. Why the obsession, who knows or really cares, probably a combination of things including something everyone (ok most of us) like, reminds us of our childhoods and can discuss together. Everyone's a food critic after all. But "truly horrible" and saying it is a "'food'" implying to me your saying it's not? Would please explain your opinion in more detail.

As to the original posting about Success Pizza -

I haven't had the pizza there. I have eaten there a couple times now, and I think the other Italian dishes are rather mediocre. They have a variety of dishes - tomato sauce, white sauce, wine sauce types - but its rather ordinary, bland, and inferior ingredients to the good Italian restaurants in town.

I do find eating the good Italian to be an expensive meal, so its not something I do often.

As to the meal I had with wife and son today at Success Pizza: We had spaghetti carbonara, meat lasagna (like Stouffers micro-wave lasagna), spinach 'casserole' thingy - a veggie dish - and a "spicy green salad with a couple few goong. The boy had his usual spaghetti with meat sauce. The bill was over 500 baht.

Previously I tried the spaghetti with peas and mushrooms in white sauce and the Eggplant "parmesan" thingy. BTW - We eat Thai style/family style - we share all dishes - so I don't eat eat 2 or 3 entres by myself.

We eat better at the The Dukes just down the street (not Italian but other foods) for the same amount.

Bottom line: Success Pizza is cheap (food), and not inexpensive. I probably went there for the last time today. I can cook better Italian dishes myself.

(hate that auto-spell check!)

Edited by qdinthailand

As to the original posting about Success Pizza -

I haven't had the pizza there. I have eaten there a couple times now, and I think the other Italian dishes are rather mediocre. They have a variety of dishes - tomato sauce, white sauce, wine sauce types - but its rather ordinary, bland, and inferior ingredients to the good Italian restaurants in town.

I do find eating the good Italian to be an expensive meal, so its not something I do often.

As to the meal I had with wife and son today at Success Pizza: We had spaghetti carbonara, meat lasagna (like Stouffers micro-wave lasagna), spinach 'casserole' thingy - a veggie dish - and a "spicy green salad with a couple few goong. The boy had his usual spaghetti with meat sauce. The bill was over 500 baht.

Previously I tried the spaghetti with peas and mushrooms in white sauce and the Eggplant "parmesan" thingy. BTW - We eat Thai style/family style - we share all dishes - so I don't eat eat 2 or 3 entres by myself.

We eat better at the The Dukes just down the street (not Italian but other foods) for the same amount.

Bottom line: Success Pizza is cheap (food), and not inexpensive. I probably went there for the last time today. I can cook better Italian dishes myself.

(hate that auto-spell check!)

Yup, Dukes is much better value. Our bill was also 500+ (more like 600) at Success and was a huge disappointment. Like one poster said, pizza crust was like a Matzo cracker. I would never return. We've been to Dukes twice in the last couple of weeks and the bill was 481 Baht for 3 of us and the meal was excellent.

just had a pizza at Sahara tonight, and i must say it was pretty good...had that 'twang' about it from the pepperoni...little light on the tomato sauce, but the crust imo was very good.

Very surprised i must say.

Portions at Success have gotten smaller, so the pricing imo is no longer worthwhile. :(

I highly recommend that if your going by Sahara keep going! Went for lunch on Friday and was served undercooked chicken and hard beans. They took it back but it was just thrown back in the fryer already cut in half and the oil just absorbed into the meat and what I got back was like a sponge full of grease. The staff were trying their best but told me that there was a new Chef who was on a 3 month contract so they has to put up with him until then. They also said that it use to be busy but they have lost almost all their business because the food quality has gone done so much and all the customers complain. They pass along these comments to the owner but the Chef won't listen to him and nothing changes. I was asked to write down what was wrong for him but when I inquired where he was they said he only comes in at night. As his business is going down the tubes and he doesn't care enough to be there to take care of his business I wasn't prepared to spend my time especailly as he only was working 6 hrs a day (I averaged 16 hrs a day for yrs when I owned a restaurant). Since they had already given me a full sheet of paper and pen I wrote down my cell# so at least if he wanted my opinion and perhaps my advice he'd also have to hear that he should be there etc. Of course never heard for him as I expected so glad I didn't waste my time making him notes. Why in earth, esp. considering labor costs here, would one let someone destroy your business? At least hire a new Chef, or do it yourself until a suitable replacement could be found, and have him peel potatoes for the remainder of his contract! Feel real bad for the staff as I'm sure their tips have decreased immensely and they truly felt terrible and frustrated and obviously cared (maybe more than the boss) but couldn't do anything more. I've eaten there before a while ago and the food was good with very generous portions, the room is very nice and the front of the house staff is great, what a shame to let one short contract employee throw all that away! If anyone is running the place who cares, WAKE UP and smell the lousily prepared food!!

I highly recommend that if your going by Sahara keep going! Went for lunch on Friday and was served undercooked chicken and hard beans. They took it back but it was just thrown back in the fryer already cut in half and the oil just absorbed into the meat and what I got back was like a sponge full of grease. The staff were trying their best but told me that there was a new Chef who was on a 3 month contract so they has to put up with him until then. They also said that it use to be busy but they have lost almost all their business because the food quality has gone done so much and all the customers complain. They pass along these comments to the owner but the Chef won't listen to him and nothing changes. I was asked to write down what was wrong for him but when I inquired where he was they said he only comes in at night. As his business is going down the tubes and he doesn't care enough to be there to take care of his business I wasn't prepared to spend my time especailly as he only was working 6 hrs a day (I averaged 16 hrs a day for yrs when I owned a restaurant). Since they had already given me a full sheet of paper and pen I wrote down my cell# so at least if he wanted my opinion and perhaps my advice he'd also have to hear that he should be there etc. Of course never heard for him as I expected so glad I didn't waste my time making him notes. Why in earth, esp. considering labor costs here, would one let someone destroy your business? At least hire a new Chef, or do it yourself until a suitable replacement could be found, and have him peel potatoes for the remainder of his contract! Feel real bad for the staff as I'm sure their tips have decreased immensely and they truly felt terrible and frustrated and obviously cared (maybe more than the boss) but couldn't do anything more. I've eaten there before a while ago and the food was good with very generous portions, the room is very nice and the front of the house staff is great, what a shame to let one short contract employee throw all that away! If anyone is running the place who cares, WAKE UP and smell the lousily prepared food!!

Something odd does seem to be going on there. Went there the other day and (coincidentally) had the peperoni pizza that was recommended above. I found the crust to have a strange flaky texture and it to be topped with less than half as much peperoni as what is shown in the photo on the advertising poster in front of the restaurant. However, though I felt that the pizza was a waste a calories, it was still far from being the worst pizza ever recommended on ThaiVisa. I got the same story as you mentioned about the chef being new and I found it believable that it was not the same chef as the last time that we visited.

• Like 1

Not really fair as these meals cost more than that but I for one am not complaining about price but do feel value is an important factor as are many other things. BTW had a great lunch today and will write up a post all about it but spoiler alert, it cost 3.1/2 pounds ea.!

Not really fair as these meals cost more than that but I for one am not complaining about price but do feel value is an important factor as are many other things. BTW had a great lunch today and will write up a post all about it but spoiler alert, it cost 3.1/2 pounds ea.!

Then perhaps the "scream bloody murder" threshold needs to be set at something in excess of 180 baht per head. But that still probably isn't going to be enough to get Chef Ramsay to relocate to Chiang Mai.

Sorry to inform you but I might be as close to GR as your going to get here when it comes to the tell it like it is harsh reality al la Kitchen Nightmares with a fair amount of Hell's Kitchen pissed-off-ness when I'm charged good money for worthless food!