What's up with "inverter" style air conditioners?

I bought one and, while it's true that it's saved a lot on electricity, when I leave my condo for more than a couple of months the A/C doesn't work and I'm stuck with repair costs that just about uses up any savings I might have gained! I'm told (now, of course - not at the time of purchase) that these machines have to be used regularly or something goes funky with "the electronics". According to him there isn't anything I can disconnect or otherwise do to prevent this happening.

Anybody else having this problem? Ever heard of this? Ideas?

Not really sure I understand what type A/C you are talking about.

Seems the only one's I see here in Thailand are the Japanese engineered units that attach to your wall with the compressor outside.

I have 4 individual units in my home. One unit is over 10 years old. All have worked perfectly, even after a year or more sitting idle with power off in my home while away from Thailand.

These units are very reliable. Suggest you fore go the warranty and have someone else look at it. Good luck.

Inverter s are used to control the output of mostly motors.

Your a/c unit saves you around 40% in power cost by controling the compressor baised on the temperature set and continually adjusts the power (speed) of the compressor to match the load.

We use them to control pumps, large blowers and our Reverse Osmosis systems.

The inverter also corrects power factor problems and will run at basicly any voltage (with in resonn) and give you a continous steady output to the load.

What brand of A/C do you have, most have surge protection built into the units and some should have power applied all the time.

If you can tell me the brand and model number of your A/C I will look at the specifications and let you know how to fix this problem, or maybe wiring problem, depending on the inverter some need to be connected properly (hot and neutral) need to be correct.

• Like 1

It's either a Daikin split inverter FTKD 18/24 OR GV2S. Hard to tell because the manuals are all in Thai & I have several of them. If this information isn't helpful, I can try climbing all over the thing on a ladder to look for numbers or, failing that, ask the dealer. Let me know.

TVF rocks! I don't think I've had a single question that members haven't checked in to offer assistance. Thank You.