Jobe In English Language Newspapers - For Thais Only?

I'm browsing through the Jobs section of today's edition of The Nation. There are tons of decent looking Finance, IT and Genaral Managerial jobs from a wide variety of companies. MOST of the ads do not specify what nationality one must be. A few say Thais only. Is it generally understood that these positions are intended for Thai nationals? Why do they advertise in an English language newspaper if that's the case?

Thanks for clearing up my ignorance.

They're most likely looking for a Thai national with good enough english skills to be able to read The Nation. That, in turn, would imply a Thai with, perhaps, an overseas education or, at least, a more worldly perspective than the norm.

Having said that, i know one farang who applied for such a job, and got one, despite the 'For Thai National' line in the advert.

When I used to live in Thailand. Our neighbours're either graduated from top thai universities or from oversea. I don't know if it's the hippest thing to do...but they would read BKK post every morning! .....and the rest of the family got to read only thai newspapers like....the Thai-rat or Daily news

• 3 weeks later...

ok i will try to clear up your ignorance. although i'm definitely not for job ads that say 'Thai national' or english teaching job ads that say 'US, UK, Aus, bla bla bla' who do you think the Nation and The Bangkok Post rely on for income to run their business (i hope u get my point which is that the advertisers know who the majority of the readers are and they are the English speaking community but most would be Thais). Also how many English medium schools and colleges do you think there are in Thailand not to mention returning students from the US, UK, Aus, NZ, Singapore, India, and who knows where else. btw, i have seen some jobs for, like have mentioned, Finance, IT, and General Management, and Marketing and went into the 'yada yada native US, UK, AUS, yada yada' type deal.......I hope someday soon enough Thailand will have things like speed limits on the roads and highways, non discrimination in hiring including advertising for employees (maybe the ad could say 'must be legally authorized to work in thailand' or 'employment authorization will be provided' or 'if not legally authorized to work in thailand employment authorization will be provided'......anyway enough rambling. hope you're not offended.......:o

I'm browsing through the Jobs section of today's edition of The Nation. There are tons of decent looking Finance, IT and Genaral Managerial jobs from a wide variety of companies. MOST of the ads do not specify what nationality one must be. A few say Thais only. Is it generally understood that these positions are intended for Thai nationals? Why do they advertise in an English language newspaper if that's the case?

Thanks for clearing up my ignorance.

Usually when they want an expat of when the position is open to boht Thai and Expat the jab add will show so.....that said I also know that there are a lot of adds which show no preference.

I think if you ask a 'Thai' salary you will get the job because most companies would like to show off with a farang staff.....but if you ask expat wages....you are in for a long, long wait

J

• 3 weeks later...

It might be a late posting but better late than never.

I've had very few problems getting a job in the field of IT. I can however, speak Thai ( badly ) and I've worked here for years. Now I don't think that that matters.

I suggest checking out the following websites:

www.prtr.com

and

www.prtrexecutive.com

I know these companies offer jobs to both Thais and farangs. The www.prtrexecutive.com website is for executives and is looking for both Thais and Farangs, so give them a shot.

there are speed limits???????? can u tell me where i can see one???????? i usually drive with imaginary speed limits and boy does it piss off mr. taxi driver and mr teenager and friends in his mercedes. the cars on the roads pretty much try to break the sound barrier all the time it seems. talking about TIT, two weekends back i had to go to three malls to get a phone that had some features that i wanted and they screwed up so bad........first they gave me the wrong phone....i go back and change it and the lady complains about the change in her systems being too difficult and if i could come back the next day so i say no and then she completes it in 45 seconds......get back home ......right box wrong phone inside.........go back and get pissed at them big time and they change it.......so what do i get from them..........a nice 'you should be used to TIT apologetic smile'..........okay well except the ###### gasoline for the entire thing would have got me another phone.......and have u guys tried calling shops and asking for stuff.......they always say you have to go to the shop and look around yourself........isnt that why the roads are so damned jammed......lack of social responsibility.

anyway, there are some good sides of living in TIT land too i guess :o

inet

This may come as a surprise to you inetizen, but there are speed limits in Thailand. Routinely ignored and routinely unenforced, but they're there.

As for non discrimination, TIT so get used to it.

It might be a late posting but better late than never.

I've had very few problems getting a job in the field of IT. I can however, speak Thai ( badly ) and I've worked here for years. Now I don't think that that matters.

I suggest checking out the following websites:

www.prtr.com

and

www.prtrexecutive.com

I know these companies offer jobs to both Thais and farangs. The www.prtrexecutive.com website is for executives and is looking for both Thais and Farangs, so give them a shot.

I checked out some of the jobs listed here. All looks very interesting but again doesn't specify nationaility other than to give a guide of the level of English required. What did confuse me was the salary information. An example would give 15-20k baht but it didn't say whether this was monthly or weekly (or even annually but that would just be plain silly!). If it is weekly then it seems very high for Thailand but, conversely, if it is monthly then it would probably be too low for any farang to consider. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Job I saw today on www.jobserve.com

It says they have now opened it up to all nationalities and not just Thai

CICS/DB2 expert or just mainframe expert to re-model the Banks systems

Paying 120k THB - 150k THB a month for 12 months I think it is.

May suit a guy semi-retired who wants to pay for a nice extended holiday.

The mainframe guys i know still in the business have suddenly found themselves in deman with contracts stretching for years paying decent rates - I have one pal I have been to Thailand with twice in the past year keeps saying he is finished working at the end of the contract but they keep extending it

there are speed limits???????? can u tell me where i can see one???????? i usually drive with imaginary speed limits and boy does it piss off mr. taxi driver and mr teenager and friends in his mercedes. the cars on the roads pretty much try to break the sound barrier all the time it seems. talking about TIT, two weekends back i had to go to three malls to get a phone that had some features that i wanted and they screwed up so bad........first they gave me the wrong phone....i go back and change it and the lady complains about the change in her systems being too difficult and if i could come back the next day so i say no and then she completes it in 45 seconds......get back home ......right box wrong phone inside.........go back and get pissed at them big time and they change it.......so what do i get from them..........a nice 'you should be used to TIT apologetic smile'..........okay well except the ###### gasoline for the entire thing would have got me another phone.......and have u guys tried calling shops and asking for stuff.......they always say you have to go to the shop and look around yourself........isnt that why the roads are so damned jammed......lack of social responsibility.

anyway, there are some good sides of living in TIT land too i guess :o

inet

You want some cheese to go with your whine?!

BTW Thais only = shorthand for not needing to get you a work permit; able to speak Thai, able to actually not act like a foreign retard in the workplace etc etc. If you can meet most expectations, it is not cast in stone; similar to any other general specs.