A trip to Thailand's great northeast

webfact

Sounds nice.

A few bits of vital information are missing though, like, how would the average traveller get from Wat Khao Phanom Rung in Buriram to the elephant village in Surin.

I did a good part of this loop a few months ago. Having your own transport is pretty important. Sure, you can get from one major city to another without, but getting to some of the attractions without your own wheels would make it tough and very time consuming.

I'd like to finish the loop by doing Nong Khai to Chiang Khan then to Loei. Sounds great.

The article is spot on regarding the rural roads. They were in pretty bad shape.

"You’ll need about a week to do the following itinerary,"...Maybe BUT:-

The Surin elephant festival is in November, whilst Loei’s main event is the Phi Ta Khon which is in June/July, and furthermore the Nong Khai Naga Fireball Festival is held every October on the last night of Buddhist Lent,

There will be a few disappointed tourists if they follow the itinerary expecting to see everything described!wub.png

there are activities at the village every day involving elephants. The 'Elephant festival' in November is in fact a round-up, all animals registered at Surin have to return then. Much stupid and mindless cruelty involved, leave it out please. ฿1000.- entry ....http://www.boundingoveroursteps.com/surin-elephant-roundup-behind-the-scenes/

That's a very interesting and sad read. Should be required reading for everyone who goes to the elephant festival.

• Like 2

Sounds nice.

A few bits of vital information are missing though, like, how would the average traveller get from Wat Khao Phanom Rung in Buriram to the elephant village in Surin.

CAR

how would the average traveller get from Wat Khao Phanom Rung in Buriram to the elephant village in Surin.

Most average travellers to Thailand do not have a CAR

Sounds nice.

CAR

how would the average traveller get from Wat Khao Phanom Rung in Buriram to the elephant village in Surin.

BUS

Sounds nice.

CAR

BUS

Even a bus would be difficult.

Not aware of any buses at Khao Phanom Rung, And as far as I am aware the elephant village (which is way outside Surin) is not served by a bus route.

Car is the only real option, and it would therefore be necessary to rent one for a few days.

I think this is impossible in a week apart from the dates of some festivals being months apart.

Lived in Khon Kaen not user friendly for a visitor not knowing it.

Nong Khai ok but full of dogs if you walk the wrong road. Stay at Whites hotel.

Nakhon Phanom good but you really need to know where you are going, not a lot there.

How do you get around it all that's a lot of kilos.

Could say much more.

If you wanted to follow this and have a car I would suggest two weeks minimum longer if you have it. Three better. Simply hours and hours of driving so how can you see all the sights.

i have lived in this area between Khon Kaen and Udon Thani, for the past 6 years and it is far way above the best area of any other place in Thailand for residing in. You get to feel the true thailand at first hand, not like at any of the many over commercial. over priced places, where tourist flock to, and get ripped off.

• Like 1

i have lived in this area between Khon Kaen and Udon Thani, for the past 6 years and it is far way above the best area of any other place in Thailand for residing in. You get to feel the true thailand at first hand, not like at any of the many over commercial. over priced places, where tourist flock to, and get ripped off.

Most tourists like to flock to the commercial, over-priced places though. They're like sheep - they just follow other tourists. Not many any interested in seeing anything off the beaten track.

....last night of Buddhist Lent, when orbs of light mysteriously rise from the river, arc hundreds of metres through the sky and promptly disappear.

There is nothing mysterious about the ballistic curve.

The pious attribute them to Naga, the seven headed Serpent Lord whose body and crested heads forms the balustrades of temples. In one tale, these dragon-like creatures dwell at the bottom of the Mekong River. To pay homage to the Buddha every year, they shoot off the fireballs.

The Pious are aided in their belief by copious quantities of alcohol and the desire to create a tourist attraction out of nothing but mumbo-jumbo and a few fireworks.

A more scientific explanation is that the orbs come from methane deposits ignited every year by the full moon.

Wipe you mouth - you still have some BS stuck to the side of your lip.

Sounds nice.

CAR

Excellent idea, though I think that I would hire a car with a driver who can speak at least a little English.

The driver will know the best way to get to the required places and if there are any problems, he will speak Thai and sort things out.

You can relax and enjoy the views. Of course you need a good driver, not someone high on drugs or alcohol.

In 2000, on holiday in Penang, that´s just what I did, the driver was fantastic and even took us to other attractions along the way that he knew about, like seeing orangutang, even getting to hold a baby one.

The car hire firm booked nice hotels for us and the driver was given a small amount of cash and allowed to sleep wherever he choose.

The trip was from Penang to the Cameron Highlands.

I´m glad we had a good driver as I would have been too stressed and tired to enjoy the attraction after the work of driving there.

Not knowing the way, hard to understand signs, narrow, winding potholed roads etc.

The driver also choose super eating places along the way, not too expensive but quite an attraction in themselves.

I haven´t actually tried this in Thailand as friends and family have always taken care of our trips to the beauty spots.

Take care when choosing the company providing the service cos TiT.....