Visiting Thailand for a month... Advice needed please!

Neo6

I've been in a cage with the Tigers at Mae Rim Tiger Kingdom (near CM).

Enjoyed it and got great photos, taken by their in-house photographer for an extra 200bht.

After the photographer wakes them up, you sure wish he hadn't, they are big, fast and scary.

I've been to the Elephant show in the same road, great show, elephant ride (extra cost) not so great.

I've also been on two Elephant rides on the road to Doi Inthernon, really great rides through the jungle and river. Most enjoyable.

All the animals seemed well fed and healthy.

Good enough for me.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in a cage with the Tigers at Mae Rim Tiger Kingdom (near CM).

Enjoyed it and got great photos, taken by their in-house photographer for an extra 200bht.

After the photographer wakes them up, you sure wish he hadn't, they are big, fast and scary.

I've been to the Elephant show in the same road, great show, elephant ride (extra cost) not so great.

I've also been on two Elephant rides on the road to Doi Inthernon, really great rides through the jungle and river. Most enjoyable.

All the animals seemed well fed and healthy.

Good enough for me.

Did you read the news report above? The cruelty given out to these animals just so you can see and ride them, is heartbreaking.
  • Like 1

As lineofentry, mentioned, Kanchanaburi is a great place for a few days.

We have a Safari Park were you can feed all sorts of animal by hand from the car. passifier.gif

The Tiger Temple (which I do not go to). bah.gif

Elephant rides, canoeing on the river, that should be fun for young ones like your good selves.laugh.png

Waterfalls and our very Famous Kan Beach, fresh water one and mostly used be the local kids with their moms and dads. facepalm.gif

Jet Skies are also for hire from our French folks, same folk that rent the canoes out, I think? blink.png

Only a couple or three hours by road from Bangkok, so no big deal at all.

Some places that I have visited around Thailand can be found in the below link:-

http://www.pbase.com/win13/root&view=tree

Have a safe trip and most of all, see all and have fun. w00t.gif

Welcome to Thailand wai.gif

Win from Kan thumbsup.gif

Edited by Kan Win
  • Like 2

It'd be nice to know when you'll be here. The monsoons are rapidly approaching and this will have a huge impact on Thailand...as normal. Phuket is very quiet August till early November. It rains hard and the seas are rough, making island hopping a problem as well as doing diving and other sightseeing activities. I don't think Samui is as hard hit.

Samui is extremely touristy and crowded. If you're looking for a place without many tourists, this is not the place. One of the other islands there might be better. Or even some mainland places on the beach. Some are quite stunning.

Not sure what you are looking to do. Being an ex-stressed out businessman, I sure understand the desire to just sit on a beach for a few weeks. But that might get boring. There's so much to see and do here. I'd highly recommend getting the Lonely Planet guide book for Thailand. It lays out itineraries and many things to do. The Bangkok section is very good also. Bangkok is not to be missed. 3-4 days is perfect. Take her to some of the hi-so restaurants on the roof tops of the large skyscrapers, fantastic shopping malls, and many great restaurants. Not to mention the many sightseeing places. Great fun.

Chiang Mai is fantastic also. Lots to do and see in that area. Easy to spend a few weeks there just tooling around. When you start to get your plan together, I'd recommend doing a post in the sub-forum for that area. That way the locals can help you with ideas.

If you are looking for more "risque" stuff, Pattaya is the place. The beach isn't very good, it's crowded, and the infrastructures is..well...uniquely Thai, but walking street might check your box. Lots of couples are coming here now, quite a few places for dancing and of course there are many shows. Some use strong arm techniques to separate you from your money, so keep your wits about you. But places like Tiffany's for the ladyboy show is one of the best in Thailand. Stay at the Hilton if you can. Right on top of a nice shopping mall with great views and in the middle of all the action.

If you can, please avoid elephant camps. What they do to these beautiful animals is absolutely disgusting. Google "elephant training" and look at some of the videos. There supposedly is one or two camps up in Chiang Mai that are good, but that's about it. All the others, and I mean pretty much 100%, abuse these animals just for tourist shows. Same with the tiger temple. It's highly controversial and people do get hurt seriously by the cats. Same with Elephants. We had a lady killed near us recently while feeding one on the beach (which is illegal, but allowed due to the corrupt police).

One last word of warning. Renting a scooter is very dangerous here. Especially if you are not experienced. If you do, be careful and make sure you have good insurance. I think Samui is the most accident prone place in Thailand for this.

You are totally misinformed when it comes to your information of elephant camps and totally inacurate. There are several elephant camps outside of Chiangmai that are 100% humane and treat the elephants there with care. One even has a free elephant clinic that provides free care to all the elephants in the area. The clinic is funded by elephant art. No elephants are being harmed like you have said. I repeat other than doctored and edited docs that are floating around where is the actual proof to back up your comment? Elephant camps info is inaccurate at best.

Any place selling elephant art should be avoided. Do you really think that elephants love to sit around all day painting? From what I've read, the painting requires the most training and the most abuse.

• Like 1

The OP wrote "For me it will be silly little things like going on a bike tour (apparently this is a great way to see the real city) and visiting one of the tiger sanctuaries. In Koh Samui I'd love to hang out with some elephants too"

In Chiang Mai there is a relatively easy bike ride every Sunday open to all. It usually gets 50-100 participants, the majority are Thai. There is a different local destination every week. If you're a serious cyclist, it's pretty easy to rent a quality bike and hook up with one of several group rides. There's also a hiking group that goes out for anything from easy walks in the forest to strenuous challenges in the mountains.

I'd avoid the tiger "sanctuaries", both the Tiger Temple and Tiger Kingdom. The tigers are drugged. If they weren't, that would be even more reason to avoid them.

I'd avoid most of the elephant camps but the Elephant Nature Park is worthwhile. It's about an hour north of Chiang Mai, in Mae Tanam (?). There's also an Elephant Rehab Center in Lampang but I can't comment as I haven't been.

The Elephant park mentioned is a scam. I was there once. What a joke. Looks like a hippy gathering there.

That's very informative.

Did you read the news report above? The cruelty given out to these animals just so you can see and ride them, is heartbreaking.

If they weren't earning money, they would be quickly killed.

Another misconception. In actuality it is the opposite.

Most of the very young elephants in the "camps" are poached in the wild, which usually entails killing the mother and other relatives. Think about that next time you're riding an elephant.

• Like 1

How old are you , what do you like doing. It would take years to see all of Thailand.

Give some more details and people can advise better.

Hi,

I'm 28, GF is 25

I like seeing beautiful places that aren't full of tourists (who doesn't)... I'd love to see some elephants, tigers etc. I'm not at all interested in anything sexual (shows, ladyboys and so forth)

My GF is more of the elite luxury type, so that's where the 5 star resorts/Koh Samui come into play

Not sure what else to say smile.png

Two suggestions:

- A few days in and around Chiang Mai in the North of Thailand (but no beaches).

- Yes 5 star hotels are mostly very expensive in Thailand. Some googling will find plenty of 4 star hotels which are only a little less luxurious than 5 star but often with a lot of savings. And your more likely to meet the real locals in 4 or 3 star hotels etc., but you need of course to keep your gf happy

• Like 1

It'd be nice to know when you'll be here. The monsoons are rapidly approaching and this will have a huge impact on Thailand...as normal. Phuket is very quiet August till early November. It rains hard and the seas are rough, making island hopping a problem as well as doing diving and other sightseeing activities. I don't think Samui is as hard hit.

Samui is extremely touristy and crowded. If you're looking for a place without many tourists, this is not the place. One of the other islands there might be better. Or even some mainland places on the beach. Some are quite stunning.

Not sure what you are looking to do. Being an ex-stressed out businessman, I sure understand the desire to just sit on a beach for a few weeks. But that might get boring. There's so much to see and do here. I'd highly recommend getting the Lonely Planet guide book for Thailand. It lays out itineraries and many things to do. The Bangkok section is very good also. Bangkok is not to be missed. 3-4 days is perfect. Take her to some of the hi-so restaurants on the roof tops of the large skyscrapers, fantastic shopping malls, and many great restaurants. Not to mention the many sightseeing places. Great fun.

Chiang Mai is fantastic also. Lots to do and see in that area. Easy to spend a few weeks there just tooling around. When you start to get your plan together, I'd recommend doing a post in the sub-forum for that area. That way the locals can help you with ideas.

If you are looking for more "risque" stuff, Pattaya is the place. The beach isn't very good, it's crowded, and the infrastructures is..well...uniquely Thai, but walking street might check your box. Lots of couples are coming here now, quite a few places for dancing and of course there are many shows. Some use strong arm techniques to separate you from your money, so keep your wits about you. But places like Tiffany's for the ladyboy show is one of the best in Thailand. Stay at the Hilton if you can. Right on top of a nice shopping mall with great views and in the middle of all the action.

If you can, please avoid elephant camps. What they do to these beautiful animals is absolutely disgusting. Google "elephant training" and look at some of the videos. There supposedly is one or two camps up in Chiang Mai that are good, but that's about it. All the others, and I mean pretty much 100%, abuse these animals just for tourist shows. Same with the tiger temple. It's highly controversial and people do get hurt seriously by the cats. Same with Elephants. We had a lady killed near us recently while feeding one on the beach (which is illegal, but allowed due to the corrupt police).

One last word of warning. Renting a scooter is very dangerous here. Especially if you are not experienced. If you do, be careful and make sure you have good insurance. I think Samui is the most accident prone place in Thailand for this.

You are totally misinformed when it comes to your information of elephant camps and totally inacurate. There are several elephant camps outside of Chiangmai that are 100% humane and treat the elephants there with care. One even has a free elephant clinic that provides free care to all the elephants in the area. The clinic is funded by elephant art. No elephants are being harmed like you have said. I repeat other than doctored and edited docs that are floating around where is the actual proof to back up your comment? Elephant camps info is inaccurate at best.

I don't believe he was talking about what you see. He was talking about the methods they use to train them so what you see is a nice gentle tame animal.

If you read the whole article he does mention that there is 1 or 2 in Chiang Mai that are good to the animals. Just ask around if you get here. The smog is real bad in March It starts in Feb. and ends in Apr. But you are not coming here then any how.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply and give ideas, it really helped a lot. I've come up with a modified plan based on the ideas given and I would greatly appreciated any further comments or suggestions. Thanks again!

Arrive in Bangkok on 4th August
Stay 3 nights in lebua at State Tower
Activities in Bangkok:
- Siam Mall (VIP cinema, Aquarium)
- Boat ride down river (Chao Praya or Loy Nava)
- Bike tour
- Shooting range
- China Town

Fly from Bangkok to Krabi on 7th August
Stay 5 nights in Krabi area (Amari Vogue)
Activites in Krabi:
- Hire long tail boat for the day (visit Koh Phi Phi and/or Koh Yao Noi?)
- Rawai area exploration via scooter

Hire driver to go from Krabi to ferry port, take ferry to Koh Samui, arrive in Koh Samui on 12th August
Stay 5 nights in Koh Samui (Banyan Tree or Buddy Oriental)
Activites in Koh Samui:
- Muay Thai fight
- Lots of sun bathing

Travel by ferry from Koh Samui to Koh Phangang, arrive in Koh Phangang on 17th August
Stay 5 nights in Koh Phangang
Activites in Koh Samui:
- Thong Nai Pan Noi beach

Travel by ferry from Koh Phangang to Koh Tao, arrive in Koh Tao on 22nd August
Stay 4 nights in Koh Tao (Sensi Paradise)
Acitivites in Koh Tao:
- Relaxation and sun bathing

On 26th August get back to Koh Samui and fly up to Chang Mai, arrive in Chang Mai on 26th August
Stay 5 nights in Chang Mai
Activities in Chang Mai:
- Elephant santuary (Baan Chang or Thai Elephant Conservation Centre)
- Tiger santuary (Tiger Kingdom)
- Khao Yai National Park
- Chiang Rai or Pai

Fly from Chang Mai to Bangkok, arrive in Bangkok on 31st August
Stay 3 nights in Bangkok
Activities in Bangkok:
- Ancient Siam
- Grand Palace
- Ayutthaya or Kanchanaburi day trip

Leave Thailand on 3rd September

SWEET! I'm jealous! Can you do a few trip reports if you have time? Would love to read how things go.

A few recommendations. When in Bangkok, to see how the rich party, visit Thong Lor. Lots of great places to eat, drink and party. Great live music also.

If you are renting a scooter, make sure you have insurance to cover accidents. Most travel insurance does not cover this. Many stories of travelers stuck here with huge hospital bills. Samui is one of the worst places in Thailand to rent a scooter. Be careful! I tend to rent a car just to be safe. And in case of rain! laugh.png

5 nights in Krabi is a long time. If the weather's bad, which is likely, there's not much to do. I'd move a bit of time over to CM/CR. The Mae Hong Son loop is fantastic. Rent a car in CM, spend a night in Pai, spend a night in MHS. Check out the hill tribes there, then back to CM. It's a relatively easy drive.

Khao Yai is not in CM. It's down near Khorat, north of BKK. Maybe you meant another park?

• Like 1

Sure thing!

Is Thong Lor an area in Bangkok?

Yeah the more I think about it (and read) the less I want to rent a scooter. I'll probably just get a car instead.

Appreciate the tips on the CM part of the journey. I'll see how things are going island wise, maybe we will trim a few days off if it gets boring and spend them in the North instead

SWEET! I'm jealous! Can you do a few trip reports if you have time? Would love to read how things go.

A few recommendations. When in Bangkok, to see how the rich party, visit Thong Lor. Lots of great places to eat, drink and party. Great live music also.

If you are renting a scooter, make sure you have insurance to cover accidents. Most travel insurance does not cover this. Many stories of travelers stuck here with huge hospital bills. Samui is one of the worst places in Thailand to rent a scooter. Be careful! I tend to rent a car just to be safe. And in case of rain! xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.SDkxrRteka.png alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20>

5 nights in Krabi is a long time. If the weather's bad, which is likely, there's not much to do. I'd move a bit of time over to CM/CR. The Mae Hong Son loop is fantastic. Rent a car in CM, spend a night in Pai, spend a night in MHS. Check out the hill tribes there, then back to CM. It's a relatively easy drive.

Khao Yai is not in CM. It's down near Khorat, north of BKK. Maybe you meant another park?

Yes, Thong Lor is Sukhumvit 47. If you like wine, try Wine Republic. Expensive, but that's Thailand. Also there is a great beer bar nearby with a huge selection of beer. That whole area has lots of places to visit. Just walk up and down!

Yes, Thong Lor is Sukhumvit 47. If you like wine, try Wine Republic. Expensive, but that's Thailand. Also there is a great beer bar nearby with a huge selection of beer. That whole area has lots of places to visit. Just walk up and down!

Thong Lor is Sukhumvit Soi 55.

Sophon

• Like 1

Thong Lor is Sukhumvit Soi 55.

Sophon

Yes! Sorry! My friend lives on 47. Got that stuck in my head.

wai2.gif