Dengue situation in Northeastern part of Thailand worrisome

webfact

Dengue situation in Northeastern part of Thailand worrisome

BANGKOK, 6 July 2013 (NNT) - Dengue situation in Northeastern part of Thailand is exacerbating as over 5,400 people in 4 provinces have now been infected with dengue virus. The virus has, this year, killed 5 patients in those provinces.

According to the Public Health Ministry, over 5,400 people have been infected with the deadly dengue virus in 4 northeastern provinces, including Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Buriram, and Surin. Five of those patients have already been killed by the virus.

Therefore, the Disease Prevention and Control Center is now raising public awareness and educating residents in those areas regarding the issue. Risk-prone areas will be cleaned up weekly and mosquito-killer spray will be used, especially in schools, where mosquitoes usually breed.

Those who experience flu, headache, body ache, or loss of appetite for longer than 2 days, are warned to consult a doctor immediately as they could be infected by the deadly dengue virus.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-06 footer_n.gif

they came with the smoke-engine near my house 2 days ago but before i could ask them to walk around my house they were nowhere to be found

my neighbour's place got a full blast could not see the house for 10 minutes so are some of the other houses but somehow they " forgot" to do the farang house

probably the house is so big that they could not see it ?

Edited by retell

LOL .. mosquitoes breed in the air, anywhere after a full blood sucking readies up the eggs for fertilization by any fly male mosquito (no blood sucker mouth part), the fertile eggs now require an aqueous solution to develop into a mosquito. The Dengue mosquito still needs an aqueous solution for their eggs to develop into another mosquito, right?

especially in schools, where mosquitoes usually breed

it is that is a serious item otherwise i would think the reporter tried to be funny sad.png

It's not funny that they wait until 5 people died and 5400 people are affected to launch a program to raise awareness and educate residents.

• Like 1

Just recovered from 2nd bout. Jao-Natee phoned 3 times to say they'd be round to spray/give advice. Still waiting, a week later. 2 days earlier they sprayed the Thai houses but not mine or my neighbour's. Yes, he's a farang. I know every rule has exceptions but the general rule is if you're a farang they don't give a FF.

Perhaps the phrases are out of order "Risk-prone areas will be cleaned up weekly and mosquito-killer spray will be used, especially in schools, where mosquitoes usually breed."

Could be: Risk-prone areas will be cleaned up weekly and mosquito-killer spray will be used where mosquitoes usually breed, and especially in schools. or something like this...

it is that is a serious item otherwise i would think the reporter tried to be funny sad.png

It's not funny that they wait until 5 people died and 5400 people are affected to launch a program to raise awareness and educate residents.

Serious and sad though these figures are you could hardly call a 1 in 1000 death rate as deadly. Sure the suffering of this disease is awful and that alone as well as the apparent big rise in cases reported this year is more than enough to take serious action to kill off as much as we can these bloody pesky blood sucking flying pests. Surely it is high time now well into the 21st century that science found a way to eradicate these unwanted worthless insects.

Edited by rayw

Seems like the mosquitos could be well educated, on a serious note, I know that Mukdahan hospitals are getting quite a few reported cases, but let's not forget, many cases go undiagnosed (many people are not given blood tests and are being told it is simply a "virus"), therefore not reported, many people think they have a cold/flu so do not attend a hospital/clinic. As for spraying, I guess the BIGGEST source of water is the paddies and they are NOT sprayed.

they came with the smoke-engine near my house 2 days ago but before i could ask them to walk around my house they were nowhere to be found

my neighbour's place got a full blast could not see the house for 10 minutes so are some of the other houses but somehow they " forgot" to do the farang house

Well i had this in January, Bangkok Pattaya hospital reported to the government. 2 days after i was released from hospital they came to my house asked me and my family if we could leave for 24 hours so they could smoke the house and garden. They did and they also did the whole village the following week...so don't say they never care about Farang...it is getting old.

+1

Correct - our house they always do and it really doesn't matter if it is a farang ir local house. They have the order to go around and smoke every house.

• Like 1

Well i had this in January, Bangkok Pattaya hospital reported to the government. 2 days after i was released from hospital they came to my house asked me and my family if we could leave for 24 hours so they could smoke the house and garden. They did and they also did the whole village the following week...so don't say they never care about Farang...it is getting old.

sorry to hear you had to stay hospital , but i am not making this up last year they didnt even bother to come near , the year before that we were still building but they sprayed anyway i do not know why the exept our house ?

(this is N-E thailand Mukdaham province and not Pattaya)

Edited by retell

Had it 4 yrs ago. Went to the hospital (ram 3 CM). I got it in the city and everyone followed the known rules. Thais and Farangs worked together. This problem goes beyond Thais and non-Thais. This is not a funny disease when you get it.

There's been several cases in our village between Ubon and Sisaket. One of the cases is 3 houses away from us, and with 2 very young children dengue has been something I've always been very worried about and its now literally on my doorstep.

Nobody here seems too bothered by it as they just think you just have to drink Sprite and some kind of sauce and you will be better the next day!!

Does the Aedes mosquito have to bite someone who has had dengue at any point in their life or just if that person is sick with it now to pass the disease onto someone else?

I've had it two times in the years I have been living here. If they truly cared about public health, how about getting the bad drivers off the road? Course then they would be empty....

There are some small things you can do around the house to help stop the mozzies from laying their eggs. Empty all pots that have collected rain water if you do not need that water. If you have water features, put in a Siamese fighting fish ( pla gat ), they'll eat the larvae. Stock up on Baygon or a similar spray and blast a mozzie if you see it. OK., these sprays do not smell nice but they do work. Mozzies like dark places and especially wood, so a quick sweep with a re-chargeable or battery mozzie bat can be very gratifying when you here them zap. They only cost around 100baht and are available just about everywhere.

Didn't know that mosquitoes bred in school. Must be the stagnant brains, er, water

man went to the doctor ,doctor said you need new brain , i have three for sale ,american brain 100 bt ,african brain 200 bt ,thai brain 100,000 bt ,why is the thai brain so expensive ,doctors answered ,never been used ,joke can be changed ,irish ,english what you like

• Like 1

It is not just the Northeast. It is the whole region: all of Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, even Singapore.

Dengue is always endemic here but every 2-3 years there is an epidemic and this is one of those years.

The guilty mosquito has a very limited flight path so you will almost always be bitten close to where it breeds. Water jars are a major source but any stagnant water will do.

Since it doesn't fly very far, you can greatly reduce your risks by clearing out any stagnant water areas and being sure any water jars are securely covered (I use mosquito netting over it PLUS a lid).

That will help prevent getting it at home,. Still need to take care when you go out. the fresh markets are especially bad as lots of water standing about. Put plenty of repellent on before you go places like that.

There's been several cases in our village between Ubon and Sisaket. One of the cases is 3 houses away from us, and with 2 very young children dengue has been something I've always been very worried about and its now literally on my doorstep.

Nobody here seems too bothered by it as they just think you just have to drink Sprite and some kind of sauce and you will be better the next day!!

Does the Aedes mosquito have to bite someone who has had dengue at any point in their life or just if that person is sick with it now to pass the disease onto someone else?

Apparently the mosquito must bite the infected person during a particular part of that person's infection/disease cycle.

from wikipedia:

Humans are the primary host of the virus, but it also circulates in nonhuman primates. An infection can be acquired via a single bite. A female mosquito that takes a blood meal from a person infected with dengue fever, during the initial 2–10 day febrile period, becomes itself infected with the virus in the cells lining its gut. About 8–10 days later, the virus spreads to other tissues including the mosquito's salivary glands and is subsequently released into its saliva. The virus seems to have no detrimental effect on the mosquito, which remains infected for life. Aedes aegypti prefers to lay its eggs in artificial water containers, to live in close proximity to humans, and to feed on people rather than other vertebrates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

One of the difficulties with controlling dengue is that those infected often have no idea that they have received the virus-- 80% of people who get it are asymptomatic, or display only a mild fever. It thus is difficult to map or eliminate. Perhaps obviously, there is no preventive inoculation available at this time.

Edited by DeepInTheForest
  • Like 1

There are other ways the disease can be transmitted as well. These are not as common, but still a cause for great concern, particularly for those receiving blood transfusions.

again from wikipedia:

Dengue can also be transmitted via infected blood products and through organ donation. In countries such as Singapore, where dengue is endemic, the risk is estimated to be between 1.6 and 6 per 10,000 transfusions. Vertical transmission (from mother to child) during pregnancy or at birth has been reported. Other person-to-person modes of transmission have also been reported, but are very unusual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

Wow I`ve got a lot to learn... So Farang is looked down upon? Someone to exploit? I`m in a bit of trouble maybe...Hmmm I need to start another thread on this but getting back to this Dengue fever my gf is pregnant and she is in A north eastern province I am concerned about her getting this and also is the white smoke they use an insecticide? Is it safe? last year in a Hotel in Suphan Buri they sprayed this smoke through out hotel lobby. I cleared out and wondered If in Thailand being a poorish country whether they are up to date with Saftey issues like do they still use DDT for example. Cheers

They go where ever the gates are opened in our neighborhood. Open the gate and they come through the yard, but leave it closed and they go to the next yard.

So far this season they've fumigated 5 times on our block... at intervals to catch the new fry that may have been eggs a week or so earlier.

I'd love it if they'd fumigate directly into the street gutters - since that seems the most likely remaining breeding place after people check their yards.

So far this season they've fumigated 5 times on our block... at intervals to catch the new fry that may have been eggs a week or so earlier.

5 times this season! You're lucky. I've not seen them once in over 5 years and I live in a residential housing estate in Pattaya proper (the light side).

I reckon the translator used 'especially' wherein 'particularly' would have been more appropriate?

My lad's school in Udon closed for an extra 2 days last weekend so they could do cleaning and mossie eradication. Looks like they sorted out a fair few wet spots along the guttering that I had seen from outside the first-floor classrooms.