Getting a Nano Sim in Pattaya

djmatty

Hi All,

Will be travelling to Jomtien next week and want to obtain a pay as you go nano sim for my iPhone 5 which is unlocked.

I remember visiting a large red building in Pattaya with many phone stalls last time I was there. Is this the best/only place to go if they are available

or are there others local to Jomtien?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by djmatty

The large red building with the phone stalls is probably Tuk Com. And although it may not be the only place to get a nano sim, it is the most likeliest place in Pattaya to find one.

When I changed my phone recently I needed to change from a regular SIM to a micro-SIM.

I just went to the True shop in BigC where they did it for free in about a minute.

Thanks, I'm guessing it's not that difficult to get a nano sim then. Can you top them up in a 7/11?

Thanks, I'm guessing it's not that difficult to get a nano sim then. Can you top them up in a 7/11?

I dont see why there should be any difference in getting tops-ups as all that is done over the air anyway, based entirely on your phone number. They never take the SIM out or even look at it for a top-up. Of course when I got my new micro-SIM my number didnt change at all as they ported it across and turned the old big SIM off.

To me it seems a lot of hassle to be cuttings bits of plastic off a SIM when the operator may just give you a new one for free if you ask. So even if you cant initially find a nano SIM in 7/11 I would be inclined to ask at the operator's own shop before spending any money elsewhere. There are lots of operator's own shops around and as far as I know they all sell the same cards and billing packages as one finds in a 7/11 (though only for their brand, of course).

Which operator do you prefer? I dont think there are any proper branded phone shops in Jomtien as such, but if you go up Theprasit to Sukumvit there are a couple in the BigC and a couple in Tesco too, I think. And of course if you go to Central in Pattaya there are several more.

I dont see why there should be any difference in getting tops-ups as all that is done over the air anyway, based entirely on your phone number. They never take the SIM out or even look at it for a top-up. Of course when I got my new micro-SIM my number didnt change at all as they ported it across and turned the old big SIM off.

To me it seems a lot of hassle to be cuttings bits of plastic off a SIM when the operator may just give you a new one for free if you ask. So even if you cant initially find a nano SIM in 7/11 I would be inclined to ask at the operator's own shop before spending any money elsewhere. There are lots of operator's own shops around and as far as I know they all sell the same cards and billing packages as one finds in a 7/11 (though only for their brand, of course).

Which operator do you prefer? I dont think there are any proper branded phone shops in Jomtien as such, but if you go up Theprasit to Sukumvit there are a couple in the BigC and a couple in Tesco too, I think. And of course if you go to Central in Pattaya there are several more.

Thanks Kitten, I have no real preference as far as operators are concerned, unless you have a particular recommendation, so I'll just pop into Central and browse; good idea. Even if they don't have nanos off the shelf I'm sure they'd be able to cut one for me. Once in you're right of course, no difference.

Thanks Kitten, I have no real preference as far as operators are concerned, unless you have a particular recommendation, so I'll just pop into Central and browse; good idea. Even if they don't have nanos off the shelf I'm sure they'd be able to cut one for me. Once in you're right of course, no difference.

I make very few calls so I use True Intersim which only requires one minimal top-up (50B) per year to keep it active with no charges if you dont use it. All other types seem to require more frequent top-ups or make some sort of regular charge. This SIM is widely available at 7/11s etc, and as I mentioned True gave me a new micro-SIM for free when I needed one, and ported my number and credit balance over to it. It also works overseas, not that I need that feature very often.

For a smartphone or tablet you might want to think about 3G data usage add-ons and/or the very cheap mobile wifi that some phone providers offer around town for their subscribers. Both can be good value depending on your requirements.

• Like 1

I make very few calls so I use True Intersim which only requires one minimal top-up (50B) per year to keep it active with no charges if you dont use it. All other types seem to require more frequent top-ups or make some sort of regular charge. This SIM is widely available at 7/11s etc, and as I mentioned True gave me a new micro-SIM for free when I needed one, and ported my number and credit balance over to it. It also works overseas, not that I need that feature very often.

For a smartphone or tablet you might want to think about 3G data usage add-ons and/or the very cheap mobile wifi that some phone providers offer around town for their subscribers. Both can be good value depending on your requirements.

I travel to Thailand 2/3 times a year and stay between 1/2 months, I have always ended up getting a DTAC sim from 7/11 and sticking it in an old phone. Like you I don't make many calls. If I could get a True nano straight off the bat from Central or Tuk Com that would be so much more convenient, as I would just top it up and keep the same number, as the DTAC sims always expire between trips. Apparently you can call cheaply internationally(1THB/min) if you use a 00600 prefix, have you tried this out?

I will also ask about wifi and data too, as although many places have it free, I get stuck occasionally when out and about.

You've been really helpful, and have saved me a few THB and a lot of hassle, thanks again.

The 600 prefix does work and is cheap. You can pay a bit more via another prefix and get slightly better quality.

The big advantage for me with that SIM is that I keep the same number all the time but only need to think about topping-up once a year at worst. (Any top-up extends validity by one year, so anyone who makes more than one call a week would probably not even need to remember to do it.)

I rarely make outgoing calls but I do receive quite a few, and I also get texts from various banks both here and from the UK, and it would be a complete pain to lose the number every few months.

I think that True have some sort of unlimited wifi in Pattaya and Bangkok for a couple of hundred Baht a month for phone subscribers. It does disconnect automatically every hour or so though, presumably to stop people from using it to replace their home broadband.

• Like 1

When I changed my phone recently I needed to change from a regular SIM to a micro-SIM.

I just went to the True shop in BigC where they did it for free in about a minute.

Many thanks Kitten, did pretty much as you said, went to Tuk Com, got a True Inter sim for 120THB which had 70THB on it; they resized it in seconds, topped up and Hey Presto valid for a year. Easy when you know how. They sent me to True shop next door for wifi/3G, but that's a new sim apparently. Still no matter, I have my Laptop in the room unlimited. No more messing around each time I come, happy days.

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations on which package from True is best for internet use?

That depends entirely on how much you want to use it, and for what.

If you have minimal needs and are fairly central then the True wifi option might be worth looking at as it is very cheap and seems to work in most places. It will disconnect you every hour or so though.

I think it can be added to any phone package, including pre-pay.