When you're UNDERCHARGED in a restaurant, do you correct it?

If the owner of the restaurant chain was to restaurants what Branston is to Flight Companies, I would do anything to get money out of them. You don't become multi millionaires through business without being a rogue, ie screwing the customers because they want to fly during the holiday period. But as I say, as long as the ordinary employee does not lose out of it.

PICKLES!!!!

Pickles to you and all capitalists.

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely correct these mistakes....but if I find a bag of money in the street, I keep it.wai2.gif

I always wondered what to do if I found a large amount of money in the street. I would not hand it in to the BIB for obvious reasons. I could be someones holiday money and from what I can see, there would be no way of returning the money to them if there was no ID.

Always tell them they've undercharged, and always tell them if they give you too much change back. Pays huge dividends.

EDIT: By the way, the "very white" comment (while I understand the intent of the comment), could be objected to. coffee1.gif

be polite and talk in a low voice so that they will not lose face. and the white comment does apply! just check it out.

Of course I always speak up in this case, ditto if given to much change at a store. Obvious thing to do IMO. If you are aware you were undercharged and say nothing, you are knowingly taken what is not rightfully yours aka stealing. That a waiter or shop made it easy for you by an error on their part doesn't change that fact IMO.

Another reason besides not wanting to take what isn't due me is that the waiter or salesperson may later end up in trouble or having to pay out of pocket to make up the difference, so simple consideration for others dictates that you help avert this. Definitely likely to happen in a shop as the register tally will come up short at the end of the day; may or may not happen with an omitted item on a restaurant bill depending on the internal controls in place at the restaurant.

I would add that more times than I can count, I have mistakenly paid too much for something at the local market and had the seller inform me and return the excess amount. Usually happens in the crowd and confusion of a fresh market but also occasionally in a store. So Thais are not strangers to the concept.

Well said Sheryl,

Both myself and the good lady always politely highlight any irregularity in the bill, overcharged or undercharged, and like many others here we have experienced vendors giving excess money paid back to us on numerous occasions.

No big issues, no drama and no sign of waiters being chastised in the background.

This seems to be a simple question of morality. Your personal moral take on the issue would dictate your initial answer to the OP's question.

Able.

Edited by Able

If the under charge me or give me too much back, I always tell them . I eat alot of street vender food and I know how hard they work for the money they make . Lots of places if they make a mistake it comes out of the staffs pocket and I would not want that to happen ...

+1

I normally do not check the bill but just pay if it seems to be in the ballpark. That said, If I am aware that any

bill is less than what it should be under any circumstances (restaurant, market, dept. store, etc), I will always

be sure to rectify the situation. I generally figure the person who undercharges me will end up being forced to

make up the difference from their own pocket at the end of their day and that wouldn't sit well with me at all.

Personally, I think people are exaggerating the potential impact on waiters. If they present a bill and they forgot to list an item, do you really think every time the boss finds that out? I think not so much at least at the kind of funky places I tend to go. Yes if there was an addition error, that could easily be found.

Personally, I think people are exaggerating the potential impact on waiters. If they present a bill and they forgot to list an item, do you really think every time the boss finds that out? I think not so much at least at the kind of funky places I tend to go. Yes if there was an addition error, that could easily be found.

seems like the majority view on this thread JT is yes they repay undercharge.

for me I don't give a monkeys toss if its a street vendor in Khon Khaen or a 'funky place' in BKK.

'Personally, I think people are exaggerating the potential impact on waiters'

if you spend your time hanging around 'funky places' this comment does not surprise me.

Edited by SinglePot

'Personally, I think people are exaggerating the potential impact on waiters'

if you spend your time hanging around 'funky places' this comment does not surprise me.

The best food is at funky places.

Again, there is a difference between an addition error and a missing item on a bill.