Advice needed in buying a helmet

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one called a modular helmet, not flip up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Every-single box I saw Bilmoa, LS2, Shark had flip-up written on it for some reason. Well now I know more:)

Shoei is out of the question, too expensive, either I have something within 4-5k range or nothing at all.

This one called a modular helmet, not flip up.

Every-single box I saw Bilmoa, LS2, Shark had flip-up written on it for some reason. Well now I know more:)

Shoei is out of the question, too expensive, either I have something within 4-5k range or nothing at all.

Modular generally refers to helmets where the chin bar can be easily and completely removed converting them from a full face to an open face helmet. Stick with the term ''flip up'' most people will understand.

T

The Multitech will most def not going to be anywhere near his 4-5k limit...

For such low prices you can only get much lower quality helmets...you gonna get what you pay for, mate...

I know- they're ~9K in the States- I figured I'd toss it out there in case someboy's interested.wink.png

I only wear Shoei- I've got an RF-1100 and a GT-Air (on the way)- they fit my head great (unlike Arai, which I just can't get comfortable in- nice helmets, though).

Edited by RubberSideDown

I was interested in this helmet so did a bit of investigating.

1. Very expensive, like US$800
  2. Sold online from Russia
  3. Many options available, LEDs lasers, removable 'dreadlocks', paint schemes
  4. No quality control and no safety standards
  5. Poor customer service

In a nutshell..... STAY WELL CLEAR.

Sure they look good but from all the many sites and blogs I read, the message was very clear....if you value your health (Think: head/noggen/swede/think tank/scone) do not waste you cash on one of these.

• Like 1

Guys one of the problems of expensive helmets was theft has any of you tried the following

http://www.motorcycle-tourer.co.uk/pacsafe-lidsafe-anti-theft-helmet-bag/

I got a bit faster bike so I might invest in a better helmet. So far I have a real (brand) helmet and that is good and dot certified but i might buy better if i could protect it. Would be a bummer to loose an expensive helmet.

Had the same problem.

Had 2 Shoei's Multitech helmets stolen in 2 separate occasions, so I bought a motorcycle tail box and never had a single helmet stolen again:

http://www.cbt.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/E350RN_on-bike-1.jpg

I am getting side boxes and that is already a compromise.. so no a tail box would be a bit too much. I doubt a tail box would look good on a ninja 650r

That is why i ask if anyone has tried that.. seems nice and small would fit in the side box or under the saddle.

Edited by robblok

Guys one of the problems of expensive helmets was theft has any of you tried the following

I got a bit faster bike so I might invest in a better helmet. So far I have a real (brand) helmet and that is good and dot certified but i might buy better if i could protect it. Would be a bummer to loose an expensive helmet.

Great idea and Im at 2 minds over which is better. Pacsafe takes up less room than say a top box, but then the top box is also good for carrying more stuff. Decisions decisions!

Here in Singapore virtually every bike is with a top box. They don't look good in my opinion.

I have side bags on my Thai bike but my good helmet doesn't fit in. I however only take my good helmet for longer trips and always take it with me when leaving a bike. My other helmet is for short runs and it fits fine in side bags that can be locked.

i run a cable lock (for a bicycle through the triple clamps and through the full face part of the helmet, nobody's gonna get it.

You can always put some cheap Index helmet stickers over the name brand also.

i run a cable lock (for a bicycle through the triple clamps and through the full face part of the helmet, nobody's gonna get it.

You can always put some cheap Index helmet stickers over the name brand also.

Damm stupid of me not to have thought of that. Thanks.. duh.. have to examine my brain better next time. Still its a nice bag and water tight so that does count for something.

I find Shoei and HJC have similar fits for my rounded head.

I covered my HJC carbon helmet completely in stickers and half the time just strap it under my scooter seat if there is no room in my topbox.

Hasn't been stolen in over a year of parking in public spaces since thieves don't know it was relatively expensive.

Here in Singapore virtually every bike is with a top box. They don't look good in my opinion.

There is a reason for that as in Singapore they don't allow 2 car batteries, five car tires or two rolls of carpet on their motorcycles or scooters. Maybe that should be and not or....laugh.png

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

Honestly, we don't need to bring back our equipement from our own country anymore, you can find everything you want it Thailand now.

I don't agree with that at all- Thailand doesn't have the selection if you want high-end stuff, and if it is available, the price is usually ridiculous.

I've got a Shoei GT-Air in the 'Journey' graphic on the way from the States that was way less than it would ever be in LOS.

Look at the price of Dainese, Alpinestars, etc here compared to the States (especially when something is on close-out)- there's no comparison in most cases.

If you're a big guy (especially with large feet) good luck finding sizes as well.

You can find the occasional good deal in LOS, but it's certainly the exception, not the rule.wink.png

Edited by RubberSideDown

post-140969-13740674302132_thumb.jpg

I use a k3 helmet I bought in America. It cost me $120 plus tax which came our to be about 4,500฿

I bought a Rossi replica k3 at paddock for 6500 but I think the price went up a little now.

I suggest you spend a little bit more and get a decent helmet.

I am curious are the visors much better on those expensive helmets then the 3000 baht helmets. For me a good visor is real important one that does not scratch easy and such.

Generally, yes- the optical quality of the visor on an 'expensive' helmet is usually better than cheaper ones (which stands to reason as it's factored into the price)- Shoei is known for the clarity of the visors on its helmets, as are other higher-end manufacturers- on some helmets pin-lock shields come standard as well.

That said, there are some fantastic deals on nice, current helmets with discontinued graphics patterns right now in the States- Revzilla is closing out the RF-1100 in the 'Chroma' graphic for $380- that's an incredible price- they ship overseas, or maybe someone has a friend visiting soon who could pick it up for them- I have one in a different graphic pattern, and it's a terrific helmet.

I am curious are the visors much better on those expensive helmets then the 3000 baht helmets. For me a good visor is real important one that does not scratch easy and such.

Generally, yes- the optical quality of the visor on an 'expensive' helmet is usually better than cheaper ones (which stands to reason as it's factored into the price)- Shoei is known for the clarity of the visors on its helmets, as are other higher-end manufacturers- on some helmets pin-lock shields come standard as well.

That said, there are some fantastic deals on nice, current helmets with discontinued graphics patterns right now in the States- Revzilla is closing out the RF-1100 in the 'Chroma' graphic for $380- that's an incredible price- they ship overseas, or maybe someone has a friend visiting soon who could pick it up for them- I have one in a different graphic pattern, and it's a terrific helmet.

Thanks for the anwser but i heard that its better not to order a helmet online because size and fit might be an issue ?

I know you can save a lot of money buying one abroad.

Thanks for the anwser but i heard that its better not to order a helmet online because size and fit might be an issue ?

I know you can save a lot of money buying one abroad.

That can certainly be an issue- it's often possible to try on a helmet at of of the shops in LOS to check sizing (even if it's not the same model it's usually consistent within a brand, meaning if you're a large in one Arai you're most likely a large in all Arais) and then order it cheaper somewhere else. Often there are dozens of user reviews online that can be helpful as well.

I've always worn a large Shoei- if I read several reviews for another brand that said their sizing is similar to Shoei, I wouldn't worry too much about ordering it sight-unseen- doing research helps a lot.