Advice needed in buying a helmet

Obviously I consider that a great choice- my GT-Air was delivered to my brother's house in the States a few days ago- he'll bring it to LOS next week.

I haven't read a bad review of it yet.

You didn't mention the internal sun visor- that's another feature I'm quite interested in.

It does work, but to be honest I have just ridden once with it and it was not sunny. Also I have almost never ever used sunglasses while riding so its not a feature that is real important for me. The important things are for me that it does not fog up, is real aerodynamic (no pull on my head) and i can now ride with my visor down with comfort.

I have read about and seen the internal visor and it does work so its a nice plus just have to really use it more.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know where to buy decent helmets in Pattaya, other than Bigwing and Kawasaki? By "decent helmets" I mean better than Index. Neither stocked a size or weight of helmet that would fit my girlfriend. Almost all the helmets were L or XL, so much too big for her. Don't really want to buy over the net as helmets really need to be tried on before buying.

I live in bangkok.

But i know a shop in sampang who sell them at good price i dont k ow why they have such a price drop on that model. Helmet2home sell them 8900 ..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My enquiries led me to G T Rider on Pattaya Tai Road which has a wide selection though less in the 10,000฿ + range. I shall be visiting that shop again.

Edited by Briggsy

• 5 weeks later...

I was in another thread about top box, saw some helpful links posted by members, also selling helmets too, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/645740-top-box/

Here are a few of them:

http://www.auto2speed.com/product-th-861842-GIVI+BOX.html?lang=en

http://www.okhelmet.com/?lang=th

http://helmet2home.tarad.com/product_882820_th

I checked the Shark S600 and the agv k3 and both have 4 star safety standard, so which is a better one? Are they snell certifield?

Also can someone tell me about this brand Bilmola Explorer, where is it made and what safety standard it has, also some feedback on this Explorer modular flip up helmet will be very much appreciated.

http://gtautobike.tarad.com/product.detail_552530_th_4622545

Edited by Cobrabiker

The Shark 4k baht helmet line are no better than REAL, there is no foam protection that extends to the full face portion of the helmet to reinforce structural integrity.

I think that's a simplistic position to take. I'd be highly surprised if REAL got 4 star safety in testing. Considering that plenty of SHOEI helmets only get 4 star, I'd actually be incredibly surprised.

Edited by EBF

i like bilmola helmets here in Thailand. There graphics are nice. real helmet looks like made for Kawasaki as mostly they are green.

But for the same price, you can get a HJC and some other internationally recognized brands for 2 k thb more so why i buy a Bilmola or real?

Tested one HJC CSR1, cost a few hundred more than the 4 stars shark s600, at 4900 baht, very good cushion support, luckily the shop did not have my size, I later check the internet and found out it only had a mere 1 star, for a so called branded helmet, so even good brand may turn out to be no better than Thai's Real helmet. Here is the rating,

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/hjc-cs-r1

I have had 2 crashes and my OGK saved my head, funny thing is that they are extremely cheap in Singapore, and most of the helmets sold in Singapore are not quick released, but here are mostly quick release type, which is not too safe in a crash, so I guess maybe will get a cheap one first, any cheap one to recommend with internal visor full face helmet besides Index?

Edited by Cobrabiker

Tested one HJC CSR1, cost a few hundred more than the 4 stars shark s600, at 4900 baht, very good cushion support, luckily the shop did not have my size, I later check the internet and found out it only had a mere 1 star, for a so called branded helmet, so even good brand may turn out to be no better than Thai's Real helmet. Here is the rating,

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/hjc-cs-r1

I have had 2 crashes and my OGK saved my head, funny thing is that they are extremely cheap in Singapore, and most of the helmets sold in Singapore are not quick released, but here are mostly quick release type, which is not too safe in a crash, so I guess maybe will get a cheap one first, any cheap one to recommend with internal visor full face helmet besides Index?

Love OGK, had one back in the states. Whenever i took it off it was like taking a suction cup off. Multidirectional composite overlays, awesome helmets - and light.thumbsup.gif

i am still using my Shoei while approaching to the final months of its fifth year - means i need to get anew helmet soon - and it is the best helmet i bought and used in my riding life.

And still shiny and structurally strong except inner pads are wiped out a bit.

I wonder if 'every 5 years change your helmet' rule can be flexed a bit?

as i love it and the dragon graphics in shoei x 12 new model is different and not as good as mine. wanna use it more but not sure if it is good after 5 years.

Edited by ll2

The Shoei GT-Air is a bit pricey, but it's the best street helmet I've ever owned- I really believe a high-end helmet is well-worth the money.

I'm looking at a Shoei GT-Air as my next helmet. How much are they in Thailand? I'm off to Singapore shortly so I'm guessing it would be cheaper there...

The Shoei GT-Air is a bit pricey, but it's the best street helmet I've ever owned- I really believe a high-end helmet is well-worth the money.

I'm looking at a Shoei GT-Air as my next helmet. How much are they in Thailand? I'm off to Singapore shortly so I'm guessing it would be cheaper there...

21,500 baht at the Paddock. My dealer in the States hooked me up with the Journey graphic for $525, and my brother brought it over.

gt-air_journey_tc-1.jpg

Edited by RubberSideDown

i am still using my Shoei while approaching to the final months of its fifth year - means i need to get anew helmet soon - and it is the best helmet i bought and used in my riding life.

as i love it and the dragon graphics in shoei x 12 new model is different and not as good as mine. wanna use it more but not sure if it is good after 5 years.

If the pads are wearing out, the integrity of the helmet is compromised.

The nice thing about Shoei's newer helmets is that the interior is replaceable.

An X12 isn't the greatest choice for the street (though it's an excellent track helmet)- take a look at the GT-Air or the RF-1100 (I've got one of them as well- there are some amazing deals on discontinued graphics if you can source one from the US- I've seen them for ~$350)

Edited by RubberSideDown

If the pads are wearing out, the integrity of the helmet is compromised.

The nice thing about Shoei's newer helmets is that the interior is replaceable.

An X12 isn't the greatest choice for the street (though it's an excellent track helmet)- take a look at the GT-Air or the RF-1100 (I've got one of them as well- there are some amazing deals on discontinued graphics if you can source one from the US- I've seen them for ~$350)

thanks rubber side down.

you can get replacement pads for x 11 as well but for 6500 thb! 1/4 of the price of the helmet itself!

Although, i am so happy with Shoei x11, i will check gt air and rf 1100.

AGV and Arai has good options in Thailand as well.

the only requirement for me, it has to have a dragon graphics!

21,500 baht at the Paddock. My dealer in the States hooked me up with the Journey graphic for $525, and my brother brought it over.

gt-air_journey_tc-1.jpg

That's a really nice looking skid lid.

I just bought a Nolan N44 Storm from Dirt Bike. I'm very happy with versatility of it, although you chaps might well say it isn't particularly safe.

I am looking for the replacement padding for a Real Helmet. I believe it is available. I went to Kawasaki Pattaya but they did not stock anything like it.

Anyone know where this can be bought?

There is a website for real helmets maybe contact the people there

http://www.real-helmets.com/

I e-mailed them in Thai. I have taken the effort to learn to read, write and type Thai. I place the probability of receiving a reply at around 35%. We shall see.

I know its a long shot but the Real stockist in Surin, right opposite bus statipn has the internals. I bought a few helmets there and he changed the padding toget the right fit for me.

Have u tried asking a few stockists???