Advice needed in buying a helmet

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you guys know 320sp shop in Bangkok ?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/320-SP/198202680224575

Here another link : https://th-th.facebook.com/320SP

I wonder if they are real or fake helmets. Because the price is very interesting.

Regards,

Tony

As far as I'm aware they are real.. just end of lines or overstock. They only have limited colours and sizes.

At least that's what it looked like last week when I went.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I own two Bell helmets in your price range.

One is an EVO Revolver with an articulated mandibular section (Modular Design). It is DOT certified.

The second is a Vortex Full Face, it is DOT and Snell certified.

There is no such thing as a Snell certified Modular Helmet.

If you drive very fast or your driving style is akin to our Thai brethren, Snell certified is the way to go.

Short trips around town and minimal highway driving... a DOT certification should be fine for that usage.

Fit is a personal comfort thing, it should be snug but not vice-like in it's grip. Who wants to end every long ride with a headache? As one poster mentioned the foam will eventually compress some but maybe not enough to make an actual size difference. Look at the heels of your running shoes for example.

I get great service from both of these helmets and the flip down sun shade on the EVO is a nice feature if you start your ride in the sun and finish at night. The linings are also removable for cleaning, a good thing in this climate. You could also opt for a Transitions face shield that will darken or lighten based on the amount of sunlight. Great addition, but it will amost double the price of your helmet.

F1

If by 'Modular' you mean a flip up then you might like to have a look at web bike world, I think you might find there are Snell certified flip ups

I stand corrected, available as of March this year. Only in XL and XXL and three times the price point of the helmets I mentioned. The site you recommended has a nice review. Thanks for the update.

F1

• 5 months later...

Honestly, we don't need to bring back our equipement from our own country anymore, you can find everything you want it Thailand now.

I don't agree with that at all- Thailand doesn't have the selection if you want high-end stuff, and if it is available, the price is usually ridiculous.

I've got a Shoei GT-Air in the 'Journey' graphic on the way from the States that was way less than it would ever be in LOS.

Look at the price of Dainese, Alpinestars, etc here compared to the States (especially when something is on close-out)- there's no comparison in most cases.

If you're a big guy (especially with large feet) good luck finding sizes as well.

You can find the occasional good deal in LOS, but it's certainly the exception, not the rule.wink.png

Hey, did you get your GT Air ok? Did it go through customs? I am looking at getting one too, but waiting until I go back to the US this summer. They're $604 now, but I see that Paddock has them for 21500 baht right now, which doesn't seem bad to me. How is your ventilation here, good enough? The sun visor dark enough and work well?

^

I had a friend bring it in, so no customs issues.

It's an great helmet- the ventilation is excellent, and it was built to accommodate my Sena SMH-10 headset. The shield is just dark enough to be effective, but if I had my choice I would have gotten a shade or two darker. I have a good relationship with the dealer I bought it from, and he let it go for $525.

Note it fits slightly more snug than my RF-1100, and both helmets are 'L'.

Edited by RubberSideDown

You don't want the flip-up helmet. When you land on the street face-first (and I have seen many accidents like that), you want to have a full-face helmet.

those 1/2 or 3/4 ones are nice and breezy in the hot weather but if shit happens you could get your entire jaw bone ripped off

google for pics if you are feeling brave

i have had about 5 helmets stolen over a few years in bkk but i use the real brand ,theyre the cheapest ones that are dot approved

1400 baht so not the end of the world when someone eventually cuts the strap and steals it at big c etc

its as low as i would go safety wise /price

dont buy anything from the big c or tesco lotus ,they are not made to any standard ,they just look like helmets

spd_20121006130053_b.jpg