Advice needed in buying a helmet

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice, a helmet is not something you buy everyday and some of them are quite expensive.

IMHO a high-end helmet is well worth the money (and, really, you can get a great one for 10K or less if you're lucky- your head is worth it)- it's the most crucial part of your gear as far as your environment is concerned- if your helmet isn't comfortable and well-fitting, you're going to feel crappy no matter how good your other gear might be.

I drive a ninja 650r and budget is still open for debate. I got a HJC helmet that i got with my CBR250R its still ok but I am shopping around an if its a lot better I might buy a new ones. Important is airflow and a good visor and I hate it when my helmet fogs up.

Thanks for the advice, a helmet is not something you buy everyday and some of them are quite expensive.

IMHO a high-end helmet is well worth the money (and, really, you can get a great one for 10K or less if you're lucky- your head is worth it)- it's the most crucial part of your gear as far as your environment is concerned- if your helmet isn't comfortable and well-fitting, you're going to feel crappy no matter how good your other gear might be.

To be honest I never felt bad in my HJC helmet or in my previous real helmet. I am just wondering how much better something is going to get for double or tripple the price. Just getting some opinions here. I already checked out that shop you mentioned. Any idea what the duty can be on helmets ? The prices here for high end stuff are like 20k or so or more.

I found a size chart that shows HJC and Shoei are similar.

I drive a ninja 650r and budget is still open for debate. I got a HJC helmet that i got with my CBR250R its still ok but I am shopping around an if its a lot better I might buy a new ones. Important is airflow and a good visor and I hate it when my helmet fogs up.

Check out the Shoei GT-Air- I won't have mine until next week, but the reviews have been outstanding.

To be honest I never felt bad in my HJC helmet or in my previous real helmet. I am just wondering how much better something is going to get for double or tripple the price. Just getting some opinions here. I already checked out that shop you mentioned. Any idea what the duty can be on helmets ? The prices here for high end stuff are like 20k or so or more.

I found a size chart that shows HJC and Shoei are similar.

HJC makes a nice helmet- their over-all fit-and-finish is great for the price- I do think there are better manufacturers, though. I think spending the extra money on a high-end helmet is worth it- you won't get twice the quality for twice the price, but the overall package is better, IMHO.

Duty can be a hard hit- 30% give-or-take is possible

Edited by RubberSideDown

Check out the Shoei GT-Air- I won't have mine until next week, but the reviews have been outstanding.

I am seeing it and without taxes and shipping I would save 3000 bt on the helmet compared to the paddock. However if you factor the chance of that in and fitting issues it might not be worth it. But the helmet looks real nice.

The best eye protection i found by far was yellow plastic glasses at the tuesday/friday market

at soi buakaow, no wind or dirt whatsoever enter my eyes,

unlike the specially made biker glasses with padding i had bought earlier.

When they get scratches, i give or throw them away, i think they are around 130 baht a piece

Edited by poanoi

Yeah, the sellers here have gotten a bit smarter over the last few years- they know how much it costs to import a helmet, and they try to stay a grand or two over, which is enough to make most people decide to avoid overseas ordering.

How much is it at the Paddock?

Yeah, the sellers here have gotten a bit smarter over the last few years- they know how much it costs to import a helmet, and they try to stay a grand or two over, which is enough to make most people decide to avoid overseas ordering.

500$ at revzilla ad 31 or 32 (not sure what it is as i think in euros) 15750 and then I did not factor in shipping not sure how much that is. If its only a few 1000 then I am not really going to buy it abroad. On other products the prices are a lot higher.

Good to know that here the market has dictated lower prices.

500$ at revzilla ad 31 or 32 (not sure what it is as i think in euros) 15750 and then I did not factor in shipping not sure how much that is. If its only a few 1000 then I am not really going to buy it abroad. On other products the prices are a lot higher.

Good to know that here the market has dictated lower prices.

I use arai rx7 cost around 22,000 personally if you go at speeds over 80kph I would buy something of high standard IMO. I like my arai it fits snug and has air vents which you can feel the air pass through your helmet and over your head.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by dezy1801

Yeah, that's pretty close- I'd buy it locally in that case.

If you're in the area, you should at least stop by and try a few on.

I would drive there and try it on first why buy locally if your not going to try. But thanks for the suggestion of that helmet. Its hard to know what is good in this climate.

I would drive there and try it on first why buy locally if your not going to try. But thanks for the suggestion of that helmet. Its hard to know what is good in this climate.

I live in LOS and the Paddock isn't local to me.;)

Note that they have the X12 for 3-4K more than the GT-Air- it's their top-end helmet, but it's made more for the track than the street- it's quite small and confining, and it's very noisy- it flows a lot of air, though- I considered one, but the reviews led me to the GT-Air, which is a bit heavier but is noted as a better street helmet- the RF-1100 (or the XR-1100, which is the Euro version) is kind of between the two- I've got one, and it's also a nice choice.

Guys one of the problems of expensive helmets was theft has any of you tried the following

http://www.motorcycle-tourer.co.uk/pacsafe-lidsafe-anti-theft-helmet-bag/

I got a bit faster bike so I might invest in a better helmet. So far I have a real (brand) helmet and that is good and dot certified but i might buy better if i could protect it. Would be a bummer to loose an expensive helmet.

i run a cable lock (for a bicycle through the triple clamps and through the full face part of the helmet, nobody's gonna get it.

You can always put some cheap Index helmet stickers over the name brand also.

I do the same, run a bicycle cable lock (or chain and pad lock) through the open face then through the rear seat handle on my carb model CBR150r.

I have had two helmets stolen here- a 1,300 baht full face Index (cut the strap) and a 700 baht Index open face Index (not locked, sitting on my CBR150r mirror when I was in a bar, maybe 25 feet away)

They will steal Index as well, 555.

The local motocy guy has a like new Index open face helmet; he told me he bought it second hand for 200 baht. I don't think it was stolen, 555!

I am looking for the replacement padding for a Real Helmet. I believe it is available. I went to Kawasaki Pattaya but they did not stock anything like it.

Anyone know where this can be bought?

If looks is the main driving factor, the half-egg-shell at the market @400 baht is a steal.

As an extra it is also small enuff to fit in the sissy-bag,

actually the only helmet that meets this requirement as far as i know.

(yes, that was my primary requirement)

Edited by poanoi

I am looking for the replacement padding for a Real Helmet. I believe it is available. I went to Kawasaki Pattaya but they did not stock anything like it.

There is a website for real helmets maybe contact the people there

http://www.real-helmets.com/

I e-mailed them in Thai. I have taken the effort to learn to read, write and type Thai. I place the probability of receiving a reply at around 35%. We shall see.

There is a website for real helmets maybe contact the people there

http://www.real-helmets.com/

I e-mailed them in Thai. I have taken the effort to learn to read, write and type Thai. I place the probability of receiving a reply at around 35%. We shall see.

Ok i hope it works for you, anyway there are many shops stocking real helmets, I am not sure they stock items like that they rather have you buy a new one. I wish you luck in your quest.

Most helmets don't have replaceable pads/interiors (in fact, helmets actually have suggested expiration dates that are usually five years after the date of manufacture as some components degrade over time).

Are you able to remove and replace the current pads yourself (meaning they're attached by snaps or velcro)? If not, you should probably start shopping for a new one.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Most helmets don't have replaceable pads/interiors (in fact, helmets actually have suggested expiration dates that are usually five years after the date of manufacture as some components degrade over time).

Are you able to remove and replace the current pads yourself (meaning they're attached by snaps or velcro)? If not, you should probably start shopping for a new one.

Yes I can remove 3 parts of the padding. They are easily removed by the release of velcro tabs and press studs.

p.s. No reply yet from Real.

It is very easy to find Index helmets but as Real helmets are the next step up in terms of price, they are usually only stocked by more serious bike shops aimed at big bike riders.

We shall see.

I live in LOS and the Paddock isn't local to me.wink.png

Note that they have the X12 for 3-4K more than the GT-Air- it's their top-end helmet, but it's made more for the track than the street- it's quite small and confining, and it's very noisy- it flows a lot of air, though- I considered one, but the reviews led me to the GT-Air, which is a bit heavier but is noted as a better street helmet- the RF-1100 (or the XR-1100, which is the Euro version) is kind of between the two- I've got one, and it's also a nice choice.

Got the helmet I was after, and yes its a change.. a visor that does not fog up a visor that i can keep down and ride (other helmet just got too sfuffy) Its a lot less noisy, but it does have to break in a bit as its tight. The XL was too loose, this is tight but not too tight.. would be better if it was just a bit more loose but that will happen.

I must say love my gps on the bike it really helps me find my way now that i get used to it. Paddock was in the end like pandariders not hard to find.

^

Which helmet and in what color scheme? It's fun getting a new piece of gear.;)

It will break in, but it will take a while- I am the same size as you (in between L and XL) and it always takes several rides to feel really comfortable- if it broke in too easily, the pads wouldn't be as protective.

I got the Shoei GT air bit metalic black. It is a good thing that i have experienced helmets being tight on me before getting a bit looser else I might have gone for the XL but the shop guy even wanted to give me an M (so he was going for smaller). So i remembered those times and everyone always saying you need a tight helmet. But I did worry a bit as its an investment, a normal real helmet I would have bought new without a second thought. But not something like in this price range.

I must say i was impressed with the ventilation and anti fog properties. Especially the ventilation on the head, after a while you don't feel it but when you switch it from closed to open you really notice the difference. It also has a pinlock visor so if anything happens I can always get a new pinlock insert at minimal costs. Now I am waiting for my helmet bag from pack safe to arrive before using it on rides where i leave my helmet. Not only do I worry about theft but also about scratches and that bag with steel mesh and cable will prevent both.

Obviously I consider that a great choice- my GT-Air was delivered to my brother's house in the States a few days ago- he'll bring it to LOS next week.

I haven't read a bad review of it yet.

You didn't mention the internal sun visor- that's another feature I'm quite interested in.