I want my deposit back

Why don't you say to her if she doesn't give you the full amount back you will open the case with the consumer protection board?

http://www.ocpb.go.th/main.php?filename=index

The landlady will then retain the full fifty thousand baht, pending the result of the tenant's complaint, and the tenant will be stressed out for a long time while the case is resolved. Would it be worth all the hassle for ten thousand baht?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone has already mentioned this, but in Thailand it is your responsibility to return any rented/leased property in it's original condition - i.e. all maintenance and repairs (even normal wear and tear) must be fixed at the renter's expense.

So a tenant is supposed to replace some clapped-out old air-conditioner at his expense? Nonsense.

My rental contract states quite clearly that I am responsible for repairs/costs up to 1000B only in any month and the owner is responsible for repairs/costs above that amount. That's what the tenant is paying rent for.

go ahead destroy some things in the unit and it will be 50K your out instead of 10K. duh super intelligent

You may even find yourself unable to leave thailand for some years like the guys from singapore.

We had a running joke in San Francisco:

If the money was going from the American the the China-man, he spoke perfect Oxford English.

If the money was going from the China-man to the American, he could only speak Mandarin.

There is a corollary here. Enjoy it - To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Edited by thaigold
  • Like 1

just walk away mate ...surprised u got 40 back ..dont damage anything they will get u .. have known guys who didnt get a cracker back and had left the place immaculate ...u r dealing with WONDERFUL HONEST PEOPLE ..walk away errr make that RUUUUUUUNNNNNNN

As other have stated consider yourself lucky to get 40k back..if u wish to damage a few things maliciously and out of respite, then for sure u will feel the full force of thai temperament....please let me know as i would love to watch another arrogant farang go down inflames while trying to outdo a thai on his soil

• Like 1

With regard to deposits, I have found that landlords seem to be consistent.

If they are very liberal in their definition of damage with one tenant and keep 70% of the deposit, they tend to do it with all tenants. Similarly the ones who return deposits in full, tend to do it consistently.

So, when moving in to an apartment, see if it is possible to get this information in advance and you are less likely to have unpleasant surprises.

One rip off landlord family who owned several apartment blocks would immediately deduct 20% for "wear and tear" and another 20% for "depreciation" (!!!!) from every leaving tenant in addition to a 1000 Baht cleaning charge (small standard 32 sq.m. boxes). This was before they had examined the room for any damage.

I can understand the OP's frustration however rather than greetin he could either walk away and accept he got money taken from him for nothing, fix the issue for less thus reducing loss or go through the embarrassment of asking for connections to get back the 10k which tbh i could not see happening its a night outs money.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I will go for the 80% and destroy a couple of things, always wanted to know how it feels to destroy a washingmachine, flat screen and some walls using a hammer. Not scared for gangsters or cops as there will be no proof and I'm well connected with those.

So grown up of you. Good you have connections as you will need them.

No accepting everything will make the world better... Right. In my opinion it's basically stealing my money. But I guess this is Thailand so it's better to accept everything? Pfft..

weak & conservative old white guys who've forgotten that they have balls.

pathetic.

many of whom then verbally attack the OP whose only error was thinking he'd get any decent advice from the 'On Golden Pond' crew.

OP points out he's connected & is prepared to accept the consequences of his actions.

OP is the victim of theft & naturally wants revenge for being ripped off.

ie. like a guy with actual testosterone & not a whimpering old lady.

sometime the psychological payoff is worth the risk - do many here remember when they actually stood their ground?

does he get any support or encouragement?

no, you guessed it, mostly just the 'consider yourself lucky' bleatings of elderly eunuchs.

if i ever need any beige 'turn the other cheek' waffle, i'll know where to look. bah.gif

Agree with everything you say , but the op is asking for advice, so what advice do you give him ?

Thanks for the replies, I will go for the 80% and destroy a couple of things, always wanted to know how it feels to destroy a washingmachine, flat screen and some walls using a hammer. Not scared for gangsters or cops as there will be no proof and I'm well connected with those.

No accepting everything will make the world better... Right. In my opinion it's basically stealing my money. But I guess this is Thailand so it's better to accept everything? Pfft..

This is exactly the reasons why they just keep taking from poor ol whitey.. cause we just accept it. Steal, rape and pillage, no problem, let's just consider ourselves lucky we are allowed to even breath their air.

I say good on you OP, do whatever it is you need to, to get back that 10k this thieving rat took of you. It's so blatant anyone who just accepts it without making a huge effort is just an idiot.

And seriously, I am not surprised by the some of the replies I have read here.

Welcome to the Land of Smiles!!!!

Consider yourself lucky to have gotten back as much as you have. I walked away from many deposits in BKK, Rayong, Chiang Mai, and even Nonthaburi.

The worst one I got screwed on was a 21k deposit which I was only returned 4k. I tried to speak to management, and he looked at me like I was some sort of fool and suddenly couldn't understand my Thai. What an insult !

It's time you removed your balls off the mantel piece and attached them where they belong.

Lots of garbage posts as usual. It's not normal for landlords in Thailand to deduct money from the deposit unless you caused damage or didn't pay the rent. I lived in 3 places and had 100% back every time. The last place, the landlord kept back some money to pay the final electricity bill, but then deposited what was left over to my bank account, even after I had left Thailand. The vast majority of landlords here are honest. There was a survey on here a while back asking what deposit renter got back, and nearly every single person got 100% back.

Not sure what happened in your case because you said you reported the water leak, but you didn't sound like you followed it up. I also had a water leak in my last place, but followed up with the landlord until it was fixed. It's just the right thing to do. You sound like the first thing you want to do is quote the law. How about talking to your landlord from the beginning. I may have misunderstood your post, but it seems you reported the leak, it wasn't fixed, so you just left it for two year. Whatever the legalities of that situation, a decent tenant would have followed up. But the landlord should also have followed up. So I'd landlord is legally at fault, but you brought it on yourself. A bit like leave your car door unlocked and then complaining when someone steals something from it. Yes, the thief would be responsible in law, but you should take care of you car to avoid putting yourself in that situation.

I can't believe the cr@ I have scanned on this thread, which should never have got beyond the first three posts, the second two of which were good advice. I can only suggest to the OP that he grows up and accepts said advice. Endex!

• Like 2

pathetic.

many of whom then verbally attack the OP whose only error was thinking he'd get any decent advice from the 'On Golden Pond' crew.

OP points out he's connected & is prepared to accept the consequences of his actions.

sometime the psychological payoff is worth the risk - do many here remember when they actually stood their ground?

no, you guessed it, mostly just the 'consider yourself lucky' bleatings of elderly eunuchs.

if i ever need any beige 'turn the other cheek' waffle, i'll know where to look. bah.gif

Have you been here long? How have you fared in your disputes with Thais here in Thailand?

Welcome to Thailand, now grow up.

Don't come to thailand if you don't have money to waist.

You sound like you have no more money left.

She wants 300,- dollars /10.000bath is not a lot for two year stay.

Forget your strong sence of princepals and morals

they don't count in this country , or in any country anymore !!

• Like 1

I just wanted to play things fair, but if she wants war it's fine with me, I don't care about the other 10k as for me it's only about the fact I didn't do anything wrong. dam_n I would even pay it myself if she didn't try asking it from me in the first place. I think I'm gonna enjoy this payback :-)

Thanks guys :)

What comes around goes around,good luck with your"connections".

Lots of garbage posts as usual. It's not normal for landlords in Thailand to deduct money from the deposit unless you caused damage or didn't pay the rent. I lived in 3 places and had 100% back every time. The last place, the landlord kept back some money to pay the final electricity bill, but then deposited what was left over to my bank account, even after I had left Thailand. The vast majority of landlords here are honest. There was a survey on here a while back asking what deposit renter got back, and nearly every single person got 100% back.

Not sure what happened in your case because you said you reported the water leak, but you didn't sound like you followed it up. I also had a water leak in my last place, but followed up with the landlord until it was fixed. It's just the right thing to do. You sound like the first thing you want to do is quote the law. How about talking to your landlord from the beginning. I may have misunderstood your post, but it seems you reported the leak, it wasn't fixed, so you just left it for two year. Whatever the legalities of that situation, a decent tenant would have followed up. But the landlord should also have followed up. So I'd landlord is legally at fault, but you brought it on yourself. A bit like leave your car door unlocked and then complaining when someone steals something from it. Yes, the thief would be responsible in law, but you should take care of you car to avoid putting yourself in that situation.

Let's get this really clear. You don't pay a monthly fee to live somewhere to also take care of the person's (landlord) problems. The leak was the landlord's problem, he/she was informed (allegedly). There is no "a good tenant would have".... that was a remarkably obnoxious, illogical and even pretentious statement.

Edited by isawasnake

pathetic.

LOL!

It was worth reading the 5 pages just to come across this gem, well played sir!

Hey folks, I thought I should let you all know how it went.

I got every baht back, I told them to stop bullshitting me, after I was paid 40k ofcourse. And demanded the remaining 10k.

They refused to pay me so I told them I know some folks at the police. Guess what? They actually laughed and sent a high ranked police officer I was told, so I said sure as I started threaten them they said. He came (met in lobby of the old condo), he talked with me, he apologized to me (as i treatened him losing his job and even told him that he would not be able to pay the monthly bills anymore for his family, oh boy feels so good!) and left face down all within just 5 minutes. Now THAT was embarrassing for him as well as for the landlord, because I knew the officers' boss.

Soon after I received I received a whatsapp msg and I quote "check bank, 10000 there", I didn't take the effort for replying on that.

What I did was something I DO NOT like to do, I'm raised as a farang and learned things can be discussed and one does not need to threaten or try play smart and be a thief by keeping all or part of the deposit.

I moved to thailand as a half thai to discover my roots few years ago and I think I'm adopting nicely here, but still I feel somehow I did something bad against my feelings. I admit it felt good at that moment, but I still prefer talking and things being honest. Sadly many things don't work that way in thailand as I already knew.

The reason I made a post here was to see what all you folks would do, as I -even though half Thai- still feel and think as a farang but perhaps more and more Thai now.

I can now conclude that most guys here have no balls, a few have them but use it wrong (soi 64?) and the rest like myself is only a small group.

Sorry for typos, typed a bit fast....

Hans.

PS. @guys without balls, please try make it difficult no matter what for the landlords while being safe at the same time, u don't want to die for a few hundred $ right? This way we would help each other kinda, because clearly some Thais they think "farang, money, yes he not care much and scare also", and will do/use it again again and again. I'm absolutely sure the next farang on my condo will get it all back, so help another farang by helping yourself! :)

PSS. Answer to sone folks saying why care only 10k blabla, I didn't care about the amount.... Even if its about 10 baht I want back what is mine, period. And yes I can sleep still, I'm not worried, just a guy who likes to wonder what would happen if this or what if I would, etc. I need to learn the ways of my meh's country :)

• 2 weeks later...

I once rented a house in Central Thailand and spent a lot of money doing it up including new curtains, rails, garden re-modelling, a new shower and new light fittings as I was considering buying the house. However work stuff changed and I had to move two months before the lease was up. Howevr as I had paid the years rent up front I told the landlord to keep it but I wanted the deposit back. He told me to send him the keys and he would send the deposit (30K). Not a chance.

I explained what I had done and that I would remove everything and he still would not send the deposit back. The weekend I moved out the whole garden was dug up removing every plant and the waterin system which went to a friends up the road. The shower, curtains, rails and lights now adorn another friends house. I could have put the old stuff back but, oh well.

What did I make? nothing but satisfaction that he might think twice about thinking he had the right to keep the deposit.

What did he make? 30K but offset by the cost of replacing everything, re-doing the garden and making good.

I am told that the house is still in the same condition I left it in three years later. What a waste as that house was immaculate when i was there and would have re let in a heartbeat had he given me my deposit.

So grown up of you.

So it's in some way worse to want to get justice for your lost deposit than to be a cheating lying landlord who tricks tenants out of said deposit?

Sorry, but I dont see it. Thieving landlords get what they deserve. That's Karma.

The sensible way to approach karma is learning how to extinguish it not perpetuate the circle and/ or raise up the goodness side not take your self energies down a bad route.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I couldn't be bothered to read all posts but basically just forget the 10k and move on in life; don't be an idiot and smash the place up- you'll loose all deposit and wind up with further problems.

1980- just read your update post above.

I think calling in your contact was no bad thing to do at all. You tried to be reasonable and it failed so you did what was needed to get the fair result. I guess your smashing up the place comments were said in anger at the time? I still think that would be a bad move for anyone; and if they did not have your contacts walking away would have been better. Being on Thai ID rather than foreign passport you would not have visa issues others can be faced with like that guy in the press not long ago stuck in Thailand for years because of damages to his rented house and contents.

pathetic.

The OP is a NIEVE PRATT and needs to grow up. This is the world and it is not honest, the whole world over !.