PM Yingluck dismisses rumor of possible 'Egypt-Style' coup

webfact

PM Yingluck Dismisses Rumor Of Possible 'Egypt-Style' Coup

BANGKOK: -- PM Yingluck Shinawatra vowed that there would be no military coup in Thailand, dismissing the rumor about imminent coup that has been spreading after Ms. Yingluck was named Defense Minister in the latest Cabinet reshuffle.

Although Thailand has been flooded with rumors of possible coup for the last 5-6 years - following the actual coup in 2006 which deposed Ms Yingluck′s brother - the news of recent military intervention in Egypt has given idea to some anti-government critics that the Thai military might become fed up with perceived mismanagement of the Yingluck administration and followed Egypt′s example.

Ms. Yingluck appeared to be aware of such comparison as she said in the press conference that "The lesson can be learned from other countries. I believe no one wants to do harm to their own country."

Asked if she had talked to Gen. Yuthasak Sasiprapa, the Deputy Minister of Defense, about the rumor, the Prime Minister said she and Gen. Yuthasak have indeed consulted with each other, but only on official matters.

In the same press conference, Ms. Yingluck also insisted that "everything is not a political game", and that being politicized "will makes people biased against facts and opinions".

Ms. Yingluck said time will prove that the government is doing their best under limited circumstances to yield great benefits for everyone. She acknowledged that as the government is working towards their 3rd year in the 1st term, it is likely that the administration is facing increasingly tougher issues.

"However, it depends on the people whether this government would work full term, but I believe that the people will give the government a chance," she was quoted as saying.

Ms. Yingluck also commented on the "leaked" audio clip which allegedly revealed conversation between 2 top politicians about the plan to bring her brother Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra back home to Thailand. Mr. Thaksin, ousted in 2006 military coup and convicted in absentia of corruption charges, remained influential and polarizing figure in Thai politics.

She said the audio clip does "affect the government" but noted that officials still need to carefully investigate the issue.

When a reporter asked her if she had talked to Mr. Thaksin recently at all, Ms. Yingluck simply smiled and left the press conference.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM016UTBOVEEzTVE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-07-10

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When a reporter asked her if she had talked to Mr. Thaksin recently at all, Ms. Yingluck simply smiled and left the press conference.

That's nauseating.

Why? If she answered yes it would just set off a whole new barrage of questions.

• Like 1

Damn, she talks some crap.

"everything is not a political game" = yes it is, and her and her cronies are masters at the game.

"will makes people biased against facts and opinions" = facts, figures and opinions don't even enter into the equation, merely do as I say, I'm right, you're wrong.

• Like 2

Presumably these questions followed the 'promotion of Thainess' spiel.

Seems to be something they do extremely well, 17 in 80 odd years. Obviously it is an essential part of Thainess. Why would they even bother to ask her if there is going to be a coup, by definition, she will be the last one to know.

You really are on a roll today. thumbsup.gif

That's nauseating.

Why? If she answered yes it would just set off a whole new barrage of questions.

It's her job to answer ....

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

"Asked if she had talked to Gen. Yuthasak Sasiprapa, the Deputy Minister of Defense, about the rumor, the Prime Minister said she and Gen. Yuthasak have indeed consulted with each other, but only on official matters."

Of course she would have gotten and honest answer from the General. After all, when you want a truthful answer, you can always trust a politician or military big wigrolleyes.gifwhistling.gifrolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

"The lesson can be learned from other countries. I believe no one wants to do harm to their own country.....[However] everything is not a political game", and that being politicized "will makes people biased against facts and opinions....However, it depends on the people whether this government would work full term, but I believe that the people will give the government a chance,"....Ms. Yingluck also commented on the "leaked... audio clip [it will] affect the government" Ms. Yingluck [then] simply smiled and left the press conference.

That what you want a concise accurate statement that clearly define the governments actions and agenda from a coherent informed PM.

Edited by waza

I think it was Egypt that suffered a Thai style coup, actually. sad.png

I thought that too, actually. His removal was not democratic - and two wrongs don't make a right. Of course, the tricky question is: what would have made a right?

That's nauseating. 

Yeah, can't be seen actually thinking for herself can she.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Thai army's main responsibility (almost its only significant one) is supressing any threats to the existing power structure. As it has shown time after time after time, it has no qualms whatsoever about slaughtering large numbers of Thai citizens in pursuit of this goal so to the extent that Yingluck threatens the exisitng power structure, she faces the reciprocal threat of (yet another) coup. It's a very simple, straightforward relationship.

Edited by Zooheekock

Ms. Yingluck appeared to be aware of such comparison as she said in the press conference that "The lesson can be learned from other countries. I believe no one wants to do harm to their own country."

So this government hasn't done any harm to the country?

• Like 1

That's nauseating.

She did answer

• Like 1

The Thai army's main responsibility (almost its only significant one) is supressing any threats to the existing power structure. As it has shown time after time after time, it has no qualms whatsoever about slaughtering large numbers of Thai citizens in pursuit of this goal so to the extent that Yingluck threatens the exisitng power structure, she faces the reciprocal threat of (yet another) coup. It's a very simple, straightforward relationship.

While large numbers of Thai citizens have no qualms whatsoever to kill large numbers of citizens & soldiers, arson buildings, threaten other citizens and so on, and so on.

And being astonished if sometimes those citizens & soldiers shoot back.

It simply is not a very simple relationship.

Read some history.

That's nauseating.

God forbid that to happen.

• Like 2

Can you please elaborate on what exactly you mean by slaughtering?

For starters, 1973, 1976, 1992 and 2010. Anyone who knows what the word means will agree that those were slaughters.

Read some history.

I do. And regulalry, thanks. That's why I almost never bother with this forum; it's possibly escaped your notice but having an informed opinion and regular posting on this forum are not so much uncomfortable bedfellows as absolute polar opposites.

• Like 1

That's nauseating.

You don't know much about politics do you? coffee1.gif

• Like 2