Who's confused? Me, or immigration?

KarenBravo

Went to immigration this morning to check what I need for a retirement visa.

I also asked if I could get the retirement visa when entering with a visa exempt stamp.

They said I could upgrade from a 30 day visa on entry.

I told them that a visa on entry was not the same as visa exempt. They said that the 30 day stamp on arrival is called a visa on arrival.

Tried to explain that a visa on arrival was fro countries not covered by visa exempt and that there was a special desk at the airport for this.

They said that a visa on arrival is the 30 day entry and all the English info paperwork that they give refers to it as that.

Am I wrong, or, are the Immigration helpers that uninformed?

• Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you just try to upgrade to retirement using your current arrival stamp. They most likely won't know/appreciate the difference and just process your retirement in order to save face. biggrin.png

Can't at the moment.

Next week I'll be remitting the 800K. Once it's in the bank for three month, I'll then get the retirement visa + the bit of paper that allows you to leave and return from Thailand without using up the visa.

Pretty much knew I was right, but, the large African-American woman just wouldn't listen, insisting she was right. I think all the volunteers must think this, too, because the info slip refers to a 30/15 VOA.

Thought the 800k only had to be seasoned for 2 months on first application?

What it actually says on the info slip is that the money should be in the bank for 2/3 months.

Firstly, this is ambiguous in two ways. It could be read as two thirds of a month.

I will wait three as I don't what to give them any excuse to turn my application down, just because they are in a shitty mood.

• Like 2

From thai embassy website;

Visa on Arrival

Securing Visas upon entry in Thailand

The VISA ON ARRIVAL allows passport holders of 19* countries to enter Thailand under this rule provided that they meet these requirements:

1. The visit is strictly for tourism purposes.
  2. They must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry, as appropriate. Open tickets do not qualify. Travelling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.
    You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show you will be exiting Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry you will be most likely to be refused entry.
  3. It will also be necessary to prove that you have funds of at least 20,000 THB per person during your stay in Thailand. A fee of 1,900 THB is payable upon entry and is subject to change without notice.
    However, persons who are not eligible to enter Thailand under the VISA ON ARRIVAL and VISA EXEMPTION RULE are advised to obtain visas with the Royal Thai Embassy prior to their visit.

Visa Exemption

Passport Holders who can enter Thailand without a Visa

The VISA EXEMPTION RULE allows tourists from 48* countries to enter without a visa. They are granted a stay of maximum 30 days but only if entering Thailand via an international airport. However, persons, entering through a land border checkpoint from neighboring countries will be granted a maximum stay of 15 days.

Under the new provisions of the VISA EXEMPTION RULE effective December 6, 2008, passport holders of 48* countries are entitled to enter Thailand under this rule provided that they meet the following criteria:

1. The visit is strictly for tourism purposes.
  2. They must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry, as appropriate. Open tickets do not qualify. Travelling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.

You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show you will be exiting Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry you will be most likely to be refused entry.

3. It will also be necessary to prove that you have funds of at least 20,000 THB per person during your stay in Thailand.

A fee may be levied on persons entering Thailand under the VISA EXEMPTION RULE.

Note that a person traveling using a “UK Travel Document”, a “UK Certificate of Identity”, or a “British National Overseas Passport”, cannot enter Thailand whatever their nationality. They are subject to visa rules concerning their nationality.

I've had a look in the visa forum and it's just 60 days for first retirement application. No doubt Mario will be along soon and confirm or correct me biggrin.png

Mario has already said in post #2 that you only need a 30/15 day visa exempt stamp to start the process for a retirement visa.

This agrees with what immigration told me.

To apply for a 12 month extension for retirement (it is not a Visa)

You need the money in the bank for 60 days for the first application and three months from then on.

From a Visa Exempt Entry you need to convert to a Non Imm O Visa first before applying for the Extension.

They might send you to Bangkok to do this as most offices will not do it.

• Like 2

You need the money in the bank for 60 days for the first application and three months from then on.

Righto, but, I'm still not going to take a chance with a cranky immigration officer.

We all know that rules are applied selectively here.

From a Visa Exempt Entry you need to convert to a Non Imm O Visa first before applying for the Extension.

I had no problem converting to Non imm O in Phuket, but that was a few years ago, still can as

far as I am aware.

That's what I thought, but, they just wouldn't have it.

The slips of paper that have a list of all the things you need for the visa list 30/15 day VOA.

OK, thanks for that.

I think both "visa on entry" and "visa exempt" can be construed as VOA or visa on arrival, that

perhaps is the intenion of the phrase " VOA "

Edited by phuketjock

Immigration was wrong, the 30 day stamp at the airport or 15 days at a land border is a visa exempt entry. The VIsa on arrival is where you actually get and pay for a visa at the border.

Right. I am wondering if they weren't just trying to use terminology that most people do. The visa exempt stamp is misunderstood by most.

Immigration was wrong, the 30 day stamp at the airport or 15 days at a land border is a visa exempt entry. The VIsa on arrival is where you actually get and pay for a visa at the border.

Right. I am wondering if they weren't just trying to use terminology that most people do. The visa exempt stamp is misunderstood by most.

Maybe, but, this is the immigration department for Chrissake!

The slips of paper that have a list of all the things you need for the visa list 30/15 day VOA.

OK, thanks for that.

I think both "visa on entry" and "visa exempt" can be construed as VOA or visa on arrival, that

No, one is a visa, one is not.

Edited by stevenl

OK, thanks for that.

They are both fairly similar in discription for sure but VOA is according to Thai embassy..Visa on Arrival..not Visa on Entry

OK, thanks for that.

No, one is a visa, one is not.

Well steven I assume that you consider "visa on entry" to be a visa and "visa exempt" not to be a visa??

I have never had a visa on entry but I have lots of 30/15 day entry stamps which I will have to assume are

what you say are visa exempt stamps which clearly have a line on all of them which very clearly says

"visa class" next to which immigration has written or stamped "non re". This I would say makes this a

30/15 day visa in anyones book, otherwise why mention a visa class on a visa exempt stamp????

I think the exempt means exempt from the necessity to obtain a visa on entry but not exempt from actually

having one to enter the country.

Didn't it go up to 850k baht, recently?

I had to got to Sakon Nakhon immigration last week for something else. While I was there the officer saw my new 90 day permit to stay stamp obtained from Vientiane the day before (I am on a non- immigrant O 50-64) and said you could have done that here if you changed to retirement. He then proceeded to give me some papers showing what I need to produce for the retirement visa. I quote below what it says on the form.

'On the day of making the application, evidence of money deposited in a Thai bank amounting to not less than 800,000 baht; such amount having been continually in the account for at least three months prior to application.

SK will certainly from this be working on 3 months. Whether they are right or wrong is another matter but I think it shows again that even if some will accept 60 days on first application some will not so it is better to check with the office that you are going to apply to.

The form also shows about income and the mixed income/bank account route.

"To apply for a 12 month extension for retirement (it is not a Visa)"

Thank you for yet again clarifying that point about the distinction between a visa and an extension of stay.

I was beginning to wonder if the OP was visiting Immigrations or a Thai Embassy/or consulate outside Thailand, since in some threads people seem to think Immigrations and embassies are the same thing as well.

Edited by Suradit69

What it actually says on the info slip is that the money should be in the bank for 2/3 months.

Firstly, this is ambiguous in two ways. It could be read as two thirds of a month.

I will wait three as I don't what to give them any excuse to turn my application down, just because they are in a shitty mood.

Exactly, go for the maximum option then there's no mistaking on your behalf. I have to do my visa extension next month. I called into the local Immigration Office for the paperwork. Item 10 clearly states that you need the money in the bank for 2 months but just to make sure, my wife asked about it. 3 months was the officers reply so you have every right to believe the confusion that exists.

watch how you say they are wrong! the thai's have this thing about saving face and even when they are wrong if you don't give them a way out, YOU WILL NOT GET ANYTHING DONE! their pecking order is something else.

• Like 1

Exactly, go for the maximum option then there's no mistaking on your behalf. I have to do my visa extension next month. I called into the local Immigration Office for the paperwork. Item 10 clearly states that you need the money in the bank for 2 months but just to make sure, my wife asked about it. 3 months was the officers reply so you have every right to believe the confusion that exists.

here in issan, there are two choices, 800 K in the bank OR a letter from your embassy stating that you make over 65,000 baht a month. the more baht a month the better. ten years ago i had to

Why don't you just try to upgrade to retirement using your current arrival stamp. They most likely won't know/appreciate the difference and just process your retirement in order to save face. biggrin.png

Can't at the moment.

Next week I'll be remitting the 800K. Once it's in the bank for three month, I'll then get the retirement visa + the bit of paper that allows you to leave and return from Thailand without using up the visa.

Pretty much knew I was right, but, the large African-American woman just wouldn't listen, insisting she was right. I think all the volunteers must think this, too, because the info slip refers to a 30/15 VOA.

Just wondering...how does a large African-American woman figure into all of this?

• Like 1