"Pattaya" is bad for the reputation

Gone

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I couldn't imagine why that is?

Old guy - young girl... you're never going to solve the disturbance that causes in other people's minds.

That's one of the good things about living in Thailand - it doesn't raise any eyebrows.

The inability to speak Thai must be bliss.

Might not raise eyebrows, but it certainly gets tongues wagging.

The ignorance is unbelievable !!! Perhaps you have not been to Isaan? Yes there are rural communities, but you can also live inside, or near, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, and several other Urban Centers. Its not even what people think it is. The only thing that we do not have are gogo bars, a filthy beach, tons of tourists/pollution. Yes, thats right, Malls, Restaurants, Pubs and Cafes (albeit less), Gyms, Swimming Pools, Mountains (Loei) and Laos. The people up here are just friendlier... Sure, Pattaya has action...and its good for the adult male to get his foot wet, but its not at all as comfortable as up here.

My comments were not make out of ignorance. I've been to some of the urban centers you've mentioned.

No thanks, but each to their own.

One thing you should bear in mind whenever you want to condemn Pattaya though. It's like everywhere, there are good and bad spots to live.

• Like 1

Old guy - young girl... you're never going to solve the disturbance that causes in other people's minds.

That's one of the good things about living in Thailand - it doesn't raise any eyebrows.

You hit the nail in the head - one good reason why I have absolutely no interest in learning Thai... and another good reason to live in Pattaya - speaking Thai is not necessary.

.. and besides, Thais have seen the old Farang guy - young girl thing going on for decades. It's not a big deal.

• Like 1

Let's face it,most of them are jealous and would be here themselves if they could rid of their ropey old western wife

Yup, that's it. Everyone is just jealous they can't live among Russians in a brothel with filthy beaches, polluted sea water and never ending tour bus / baht bus traffic.

Insular thinking at it's best. @ DD13

Edited by anotheruser

You hit the nail in the head - one good reason why I have absolutely no interest in learning Thai... and another good reason to live in Pattaya - speaking Thai is not necessary.

.. and besides, Thais have seen the old Farang guy - young girl thing going on for decades. It's not a big deal.

Of course it's not necessary cause all the Thais here speak great English. :). Yesterday there was a Russian trying in basic English to get the right shirt size in the Lotus Discount store on Sukhimvit. The saleslady obviously didn't understand anything more than the word "big".

He walked away frustrated.

Maybe not necessary but can be quite useful at times.

Ahh, I knew it, the usual Pattaya bashers turning up as clock work and going off topic.

Why don't you stay in Isaan forum or farming in Thailand forum?? You must be bored, yes??

The reasons why I defend Pattaya are many(I like it here and call it home, yes it's not perfect but where/who are?) but at least I got the dignity and don't go bashing in the Isaan forum.

Regarding the mail address: I also use Banglamung/ Nongprue and it is always working.

I get letters on regular basis from Denmark & Singapore from banks and others and despite some of them have entered a fairly wrong address they still end up in my mail box.

• Like 2

In my OP I was referring to some remarks that have been made by recruiters and Employers. Most of the male personnel just make funny remarks because most of them have been here for holidays but some of the female remarks were not so nice and their attitudes changed when they were reading my address during a phone interview.

Now that I know I don't need to use "Pattaya" in my mailing address I will chose to take it out.

I have also GOT jobs because of my address on my website because I think they wanted to hear stories when I got there. lol. Either way, everyone seems to know by the time I show up on the job and it does make for some good conversations: http://www.timrooneycv.com

I have moved since so no need to stalk me hahahah

Of course it's not necessary cause all the Thais here speak great English. smile.png. Yesterday there was a Russian trying in basic English to get the right shirt size in the Lotus Discount store on Sukhimvit. The saleslady obviously didn't understand anything more than the word "big".

He walked away frustrated.

Maybe not necessary but can be quite useful at times.

Sure, it could come in useful from time to time, but as far as sales staff are concerned, the less English they know the better because I hate being stalked by sales staff.... following me around.

I reckon many people who live in Nakonsonowhere are jealous. You sound like one of them.

I'm not sure which is more hilarious, the fact that some of you guys actually think people are jealous of those who live in Pattaya, or the fact that some of you who live there are so touchy about what others think about Pattaya.

You couldn't pay me enough to live full time in a rural farming community. I know this full well, because my wife is Filipino and I spend a 2- 4 weeks every year living in a farming town in the Philippines (population 50,000) and know exactly how it feels.

If I was living full time where you are I'd be envious too. Each to their own.

The fact that you think everyone not living in Pattaya lives in rural Thailand and has nothing to do tells me that you desperately need to spend some time traveling around the country and upgrade your view on things. Perhaps 10 years ago you may have been correct, but not anymore. The rest of Thailand is developing just as Pattaya is, minus the Russians, Arabs, and Indians.

Why don't you stay in Isaan forum or farming in Thailand forum?? You must be bored, yes??

The reasons why I defend Pattaya are many(I like it here and call it home, yes it's not perfect but where/who are?) but at least I got the dignity and don't go bashing in the Isaan forum.

Expats only live in Pattaya and Isaan?

Fascinating.

The fact that you think everyone not living in Pattaya lives in rural Thailand and has nothing to do tells me that you desperately need to spend some time traveling around the country and upgrade your view on things. Perhaps 10 years ago you may have been correct, but not anymore. The rest of Thailand is developing just as Pattaya is, minus the Russians, Arabs, and Indians.

You must have missed the post above where I stated that I've visited some of the urban centres you mentioned. 2 out of 3 of them actually. I missed out on seeing Khon Kaen.

I'm in no desperate need to return.smile.png

You could have left out the "Russians, Arabs and Indians" comment though. That's not a very nice comment on an International forum, is it?

I can speak basic Thai and Lao although sometimes I don't let them know that fact. I hate when a taxi driver drags me into some dull conversation or when some old village drunk wants me to get them some whiskey. Pretending to not understand can also be useful.

Expats only live in Pattaya and Isaan?

Fascinating.

I never said that, I been to pretty much everywhere in Thailand and I see expats everywhere I go. Expats tend to make "colonies" in the popular holiday destinations places like Pattaya, Phuket, Koo Samui, Bangkok, ChangMai and so on.

When we stay in my wife's house at her farm near SiSaket I also see expats there, not many but they are there.

I find it very strange that many of those expats from other places like to go into Pattaya forum and starts bashing, my post dated 27 Jul was a bit sarcastic, I am sorry you didn't get thatwink.png

Edited by guzzi850m2

Sorry to be contrary to most of the posts, but I think Pattaya deserves its reputation in general. There are plenty of really nice places for a farang to live in Thailand - why choose the cesspit that Pattaya has become? Read all the other forums where those living there are constantly complaining about the place!

My sincere apologies to those who do lead a normal & enjoyment life there, but I think you are becoming fewer and further apart.

I am somewhat perplexed by "normal and enjoyment life...". Normal for me is getting up, eating breakfast, taking a walk, chanting with friends over breakfast, doing some shopping, sitting beachside to enjoy a good cigar, catching a movie, eating dinner, reading a book, watching the news and going to bed. Then, repeating with variation of course, such as a bit of traveling, volunteer work and enjoying the company of others on

occasion and much more. I believe that I am not alone in this type of general lifestyle.

I propose that one persons paradise is another's nightmare. I don't judge those that live in the countryside or those that live in the city and stay out all night. It's live and let live for me. Stay safe and stay alert all. :)

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

You must have missed the post above where I stated that I've visited some of the urban centres you mentioned. 2 out of 3 of them actually. I missed out on seeing Khon Kaen.

I'm in no desperate need to return.smile.png

You could have left out the "Russians, Arabs and Indians" comment though. That's not a very nice comment on an International forum, is it?

Indeed it isn't. But repeated hate speech against certain nationalities is commonly accepted for some reason.