Standing up for your rights

thhMan

Oh, the way foreigners react when they get pulled over by the police...no wonder things escalated for you.

First of all, your first mistake was not being able to speak Thai - although I'm not going to chastise you for that, since many foreigners don't.

Secondly, and more importantly, you forgot to smile and be patient.

Thirdly, you should have just negotiated rather than told him to write up a ticket.

Fourthly, you started shouting and acting rather uncouth rather than being patient and negotiating. If your wife was there with you, she could have easily negotiated for you.

Over the last couple of years, I've been pulled over only a small handful of times (I drive cars though, rarely do I drive my motorcycle any significant distance) and every single time without exception, a few nice smiles, some pleasant exchanges between myself and the police officer and I was on my way WITHOUT payment and WITHOUT any nasty comments being fired in either direction. Most of the time, I was alone. In fact, things usually go better for me when I'm alone or with a non-Thai friend who doesn't speak Thai (usually that's a Vietnamese friend of mine who has traveled here a few times on business).

The last time I was given a ticket or asked to pay anything for a traffic violation was about 6 years ago, even though I could already speak quite good Thai back then (I'm fluent now) a friend of mine, female, talked to the police after I got stopped for speeding, after which a 1000 Baht fine was paid by me (read: never again!) that wouldn't have happened if I were alone then. The problem was of course, that we didn't negotiate and my friend didn't help me at all, because it was me who paid the fine. She just asked him "how much?" and I paid (well I must admit I was pretty dumb to do so). I wonder if she would react in the same way, when she's the driver and gets caught for a traffic violation. That person, who I'm no longer close to as we've grown apart (nothing to do with that incident of course!) in my opinion has a pretty low view of cops, even though with a bit of negotiation we could have easily driven onwards after paying either much less, or nothing at all. These days whenever I have a local friend etc. with me I insist that I do all the talking and things work out for me.

In fact, in one incident about 4 years ago I got stopped for speeding near Udon Thani (we were on our way to Laos), I showed the cop my expired Thai license (has since been renewed), he told me it was out of date (I knew that already), showed him all my unexpired foreign licenses, we both laughed, I gave him some dragonfruit and we were on our way.

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should have done what most experienced riders in LOS do, especially ones on big bikes and that's don't stop in the first place.
Most stupid advice of today
Care to explain how it's stupid? I, as well as most riders I know don't stop for the uniformed mafia but they're on big bikes, not Finos.I know it's hard but you just have to grow a pair.

It is stupid because a policeman has a gun and doesn't mind to use it when you are running from the police. Just show your license, no problem.

I don't need a big bike to feel like a man.

Now that's stupid! The police don't arbitrarily shoot bikers who don't stop at their rip-off checkpoints. They just wait for the next 200 Baht to ride along. And it's not a question of just showing them your license as you well know. They'll make up any imaginary infraction to get money. Having to pass through multiple checkpoints just taking the bike to the dealers gets tiresome very quickly.

So you don't need a big bike to feel like a man? Well, you obviously need something!!!

You should have done what most experienced riders in LOS do, especially ones on big bikes and that's don't stop in the first place.

Tried that and got through 3 police blocks !!!!........... it did not go well from there and resulted in a chase with 12 police in pursuit..... cost me some coin to wiggle out off.

That's the most ridiculous bullshit story I've heard on here for a long time. 55555!

In my 6 years of riding here, I've never heard of anyone on a decent sized bike being chased. And even if it did happen, what can a police Boxer bike catch? They may at times radio ahead to the next traffic lights police box but they're easy to avoid. I'll repeat, no 'experienced' riders stop for the police.

In my 6 years of riding here, I've never heard of anyone on a decent sized bike being chased. And even if it did happen, what can a police Boxer bike catch? They may at times radio ahead to the next traffic lights police box but they're easy to avoid. I'll repeat, no 'experienced' riders stop for the police.

Yes you did, read post #90. whistling.gif

cheesy.gif

Tried that and got through 3 police blocks !!!!........... it did not go well from there and resulted in a chase with 12 police in pursuit..... cost me some coin to wiggle out off.
That's the most ridiculous bullshit story I've heard on here for a long time. 55555!

No point in me adding more detail as to how I was stopped but as as you were obviously there (you claim iam telling bullshit) would you like to tell us all how it went down.

Edited by Spoonman

Yes you did, read post #90. Posted Image

Posted Image

My eyesight may be failing me but where in that post does he say he was on a 'decent sized bike'?

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong point

No point in me adding more detail as to how I was stopped but as as you were obviously there (you claim iam telling bullshit) would you like to tell us all how it went down.

I wasn't there but your story reeks of BS. And if you were on a big bike and got caught by the police, well, the mind boggles...

Your mind might boggle but when you run out of road where do you run to ?

Also who said it was a "big Bike".... mine will out run a boxer but is by no means a big bike.

Edited by Spoonman

Yes you did, read post #90. whistling.gif

cheesy.gif

My eyesight may be failing me but where in that post does he say he was on a 'decent sized bike'?

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong point

I wasn't there but your story reeks of BS. And if you were on a big bike and got caught by the police, well, the mind boggles...

It would be nice if you learn how to quote properly.

Your mind might boggle but when you run out of road where do you run to ?

Also who said it was a "big Bike".... mine will out run a boxer but is by no means a big bike.

I didn't say it was a big bike, hence the word 'if'.

It would be nice if you learn how to quote properly.

What can I say? Using an iPhone to copy and paste with big thumbs!
  • Like 1