DSI called in to tackle taxis and raid foreign businesses

Lite Beer

DSI called in to tackle taxis and raid foreign businesses
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_DSI_to_help_Phuket_officers_c
DSI to help Phuket officers crack down on illegal taxi operators. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: A Department of Special Investigation (DSI) task force will arrive in Phuket next week to carry out raids and arrest illegal taxi drivers and foreign business operators found breaking the law.

The officers, expected to arrive on Thursday for a two-day campaign, will target taxi drivers at Phuket International Airport and businesses suspected of using Thai nominees.

The news follows Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak's visit last Wednesday to the DSI’s headquarters in Bangkok to seek assistance in curtailing what he called “mafia gangs” operating on the island.

Minister Somsak also specifically identified Russians as a target group who hired Thais as nominees to run restaurants, souvenir shops and beach-bed rental services that had exploited tourists.

DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said he would rally his officers to take up the challenge before month’s end.

“We have been gathering information for some time. We have found that in some cases the mafia gangs have even barred ambulances from picking up patients at hotels. The patients were made to take unlicensed-taxi rides," Mr Tarit said.

Lt Col Somboon Sarasit, head of the DSI’s Bureau of Special Crime Unit 3, told the Phuket Gazette that Minister Somsak and DSI officers will begin by targeting illegal taxi drivers on July 25.

“We received complaints from foreign tourists and some embassies that many illegal taxi drivers at the airport take advantage of tourists by forcing them to use their taxis and overcharging them,” he said.

“We will also call in officers from the relevant organizations to assist in following up on illegal foreign businesses using Thai nominees. We will hold a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall on Thursday,” Col Somboon explained.

“The day after that, we will raid illegal foreign-owned businesses. However, I cannot say which area we will target first. We will reveal more information at the meeting at Provincial Hall,” he said.

Additional reporting by The Nation

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/DSI-called-in-to-tackle-taxis-and-raid-foreign-businesses-21672.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-17

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so unlicensed taxi drivers can not rip people off but licensed ones can?facepalm.gif

Why not just kick out all the foreigners and leave Phuket for Thai ONLY, I am sure it will flourish within weeks if not days

I would not be surprised in the future to see most rooms over the island 300 baht per night, and beer in bars for foreigners, 200 baht each.

It's highly likely that the Phuket powers will let the Burmese build, and the farang buy, but it will all revert back to the local Thai families in the future and just end up becoming a cheap holiday place for all Thai's.

I'll continue to enjoy renting here while the release of new properties continue to drive the rent prices down. :) :)

• Like 1

Bloody foreigners!whistling.gif

All jobs that includes overcharging, treats, cheating and scamming are reserved for Thai nationals!w00t.gif

What would happen to Thainess, if foreigners took over that market??

Spoke to a friend of mine on the phone today. He's in Pattaya. He said Russians and Chinese everywhere. Russians working, obviously illegally, everywhere. Everyone making money.

It appears no need for the police to extort, scam, cheat etc up in Pattaya when everyone is happy making money and the tourist receive a better service.

It would be interesting to interview two seperate Russian couples - one couple who went to Phuket, and the other couple who went to Pattaya, and hear their comments on their holiday.

Similarly, it would be even more interesting to interview the same Russian couple after they have both been to the other destination - I think Phuket would lose out - twice.

Tourists know when they are getting "ripped" here - and they don't forget, and they don't come back.

• Like 1

All jobs that includes overcharging, treats, cheating and scamming are reserved for Thai nationals!w00t.gif

Spoke to a friend of mine on the phone today. He's in Pattaya. He said Russians and Chinese everywhere. Russians working, obviously illegally, everywhere. Everyone making money.

It appears no need for the police to extort, scam, cheat etc up in Pattaya when everyone is happy making money and the tourist receive a better service.

It would be interesting to interview two seperate Russian couples - one couple who went to Phuket, and the other couple who went to Pattaya, and hear their comments on their holiday.

Similarly, it would be even more interesting to interview the same Russian couple after they have both been to the other destination - I think Phuket would lose out - twice.

Tourists know when they are getting "ripped" here - and they don't forget, and they don't come back.

Pattaya Police and Mayor are by far more intelligent than their counterparts in Phuket.

In Pattaya they close their eyes on many things, but they get rewarded for it in more ways than 1.

In Pattaya, they do everything trying to keep the place as foreign heaven, because the money keeps rolling 365 days per year and everyone makes their bit, in Phuket they think by taking away money from foreigners, they will make money, not realizing, but by taking away money from foreigners they also scare off foreigners.

ie if there would be no Russian operators, Russians will simply stop to go there.

If there would be no English pub(English owned) English will simply stop to go and so on

Exactly. I was there late last year - saw it for myself.

The place, simply, "worked."

Not like what I see happening here, which is not getting any better.

• Like 1

Well the first place they should start is cleaning up the TukTuk's. I would say that they account for a good percentage of the complaints of foreign visitors.

As far as the Foreign business operating they had better get used to it because as soon as the AEC kicks in a few years from now, they will be overrun with foreign owned businesses and they will be completely legal, so this should be a wake up call for the locals.

If they keep up the tactics of the last 10 or so years, there may not be any tourists left by the time the AEC starts anyway.

As stated many times, the tourists are getting very tired of being ripped of every time they walk out from their hotel.

• Like 1

56 Phuket firms suspected of breaching FBA
PETCHANET PRATRUANGKRAI
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE Commerce Ministry said 56 companies in Phuket are suspected of breaching the Foreign Business Act (FBA) by having Thais acting as nominees so that foreigners can hold majority control.

A total of 153 companies were investigated by the ministry.

Most of the suspected companies are owned by Russian interests, and are involved in food and beverage trading, and financial agencies, Deputy Commerce Minister Natthawut Saikua said yesterday.

The Business Development Department will deepen its investigation into all 56 companies by questioning their directors and examining documentation. If any of the businesses have committed offences, their cases will be forwarded to state agencies for prosecution, he said.

Among the 56 suspected companies in Phuket, 24 firms have been set up this year and are not yet operating, 13 conduct a business listed in Annex III of the FBA, eight have not cooperated in the investigation, and three companies failed to respond when contacted by the authorities.

The stringent investigation of businesses that could breach the FBA is aimed at creating a standard for doing business in Thailand, and to prevent companies from benefiting from legal loopholes in conducting forbidden businesses that are protected for Thais only.

Under the Act, Thailand does not allow foreign interests to hold more than 50 per cent of some types of businesses, such as telecommunications, rice milling, property development, media and services such as retail and wholesale.

However, some foreigners have used Thai nationals as nominees to operate such prohibited businesses.

The businesses listed in Annex III of the FBA cover those in which Thais are deemed not yet ready to compete with foreigners.

Tourism concerns

Natthawut said that as Phuket is a popular tourist destination, the ministry would closely work with the Tourism and Sports Ministry and the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to ensure that the inspection of companies did not negatively affect tourism and business sentiment.

He added that the government would continue to investigate firms in other provinces to ensure fair practice for all.

The Business Development Department previously probed firms in the provinces of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Krabi, Surat Thani, Chon Buri and Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The names of companies in these provinces alleged to have violated the FBA have been passed on to the DSI and for punishment under Lands Department laws.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-18

BANGKOK: -- THE Commerce Ministry said 56 companies in Phuket are suspected of breaching the Foreign Business Act (FBA) by having Thais acting as nominees so that foreigners can hold majority control.

You must be joking! 56, try multiplying that number by 10 or even 100

Seriously! You just gave everyone on that island two days notice to clean up or go to Bangkok for a few days and disappear. I must know your next raid so that I can plan a holiday and have a peaceful time in Phuket. Jet-skis, here I come!clap2.gif

• Like 1

Announce the crack down before arriving, allows those operating illegally to get off the roads for a short holiday, the DSI can show that there is not the problem that these farang have complained about and then leave the status quo to resume.

A win for Thais in headlines and profit - for which the tourist will pay.

• Like 1

"DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said he would rally his officers to take up the challenge before month’s end."

So how will he do that?

Some kind of Churchillian speech along the lines of," ...we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them on the landing grounds...we shall fight them in the streets......etc."

Somehow I can't see this being DSI's finest hour.

What a great Plan... Even better, lets tell everyone about our great plan, including the dates and the places we will be... That way, all the baddies will not have any excuse for being in these places and can take 2 days off...

One can only hope they will spread the word and not return to Phuket.