Australia to Send Refugees to Papua New Guinea

News_Editor

PNG solution Budget cost

The cost will be $1.1 billion over four years including $174 million this financial year. This includes $236 million over the next four years to support people who have arrived by boat to live in the community (which is being offset by the slow down in growth to the aid budget).

Some of the $1.1 billion will be offset by a $423 million reduction in operating costs of immigration detention in Australia.

(The government had previously said it would give Papua New Guinea an extra $420 million over the next four years as part of the asylum seeker deal.)

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/the-pulse/politics-live-august-2-2013-20130802-2r3in.html#post_live_61872

I believe the smokers are the one who are going to pay for this with a 50% increase in cigarette taxes over the next 4 yrs. They are hoping to raise something like 3.5 billion.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PNG solution Budget cost

The cost will be $1.1 billion over four years including $174 million this financial year. This includes $236 million over the next four years to support people who have arrived by boat to live in the community (which is being offset by the slow down in growth to the aid budget).

Some of the $1.1 billion will be offset by a $423 million reduction in operating costs of immigration detention in Australia.

(The government had previously said it would give Papua New Guinea an extra $420 million over the next four years as part of the asylum seeker deal.)

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/the-pulse/politics-live-august-2-2013-20130802-2r3in.html#post_live_61872

I believe the smokers are the one who are going to pay for this with a 50% increase in cigarette taxes over the next 4 yrs. They are hoping to raise something like 3.5 billion.

$5.5 Billion?

Smoking goes up 12.5% a year for the next 4 years! Hooley dooley, talk about an expensive habit!

PNG solution Budget cost

$5.5 Billion?

Smoking goes up 12.5% a year for the next 4 years! Hooley dooley, talk about an expensive habit!

Bit challenging to believe this additional tax on cigarettes with generate a huge revenue gain. When the government increased taxes on cigarettes in 2010 and some other measures, tax revenue on cigarettes fell by about $340 million in the following tax year

Edited by simple1

I'm not in the loop at the moment ... have the boats stopped?

When I flew over the area the other day ... I didn't see any.

But, my view was limited because of my seat selection, I didn't have a window, so had to peer through the passenger's in front window.

• Like 1

I'm not in the loop at the moment ... have the boats stopped?

When I flew over the area the other day ... I didn't see any.

But, my view was limited because of my seat selection, I didn't have a window, so had to peer through the passenger's in front window.

laugh.png

I thought I posted this news yesterday...but it isn't here

Nauru to resettle asylum seekers permanently

The federal government has reached an agreement with the government of Nauru to settle asylum seekers on the tiny Pacific island nation, in a broadening of its controversial ''PNG solution''.

In a deal similar to the one struck with Papua New Guinea last month, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd on Saturday signed a memorandum of understanding with Nauruan President Baron Waqa making Nauru the final destination for asylum seekers hoping to arrive in Australia.

The deal means the 21-square-kilometre nation, home to about 10,000 inhabitants, will process and settle asylum seekers, mainly families, women and children.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/nauru-the-next-to-sign-up-20130803-2r65z.html

also this article about the funding of PNG police

Papua New Guinea's most thuggish paramilitary police unit - allegedly responsible for rapes, murders and other human rights abuses - is being discreetly funded by the Australian Immigration Department to secure the Manus Island asylum seeker detention centre.

Officers of the "Mobile Squad", who just last month beat a local man to death on the island, are receiving a special living away allowance of about $100 a day out of funding provided by the department.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/australians-funding-pngs-feared-cops-20130803-2r65w.html

Wait until these people meet the local PNG population.

The PNGers unlike the Australians won't take any guff and they'll only need look at the troublemakers to encourage peaceful behaviour.

Once word gets out on the hospitality awaiting in PNG, the refugee flow will slow to a trickle.

I do not know but will they be eaten PNG?

Edited by harryfrompattaya

Up to the Aussies, innit, but I wish the UK would take a leaf out of their book and send the bludgers from the EU to PNG. wink.png

The election is September 7 so the whole plan may go pear shaped in 4 weeks.

Up to the Aussies, innit, but I wish the UK would take a leaf out of their book and send the bludgers from the EU to PNG. wink.png

August 4 media report. A radar on Christmas Island detected the vessel carrying 16 people.

The passengers have been detained on the island for health and security checks. It's the 22nd boat to arrive since July 19, when the Rudd government announced its new policy which will see asylum seekers processed on Manus Island and those found to be refugees resettled in PNG. Those boats were carrying nearly 1600 people.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/suspected-asylum-seeker-boat-stopped-off-christmas-island/story-fni0xqrb-1226690901756

Edited by simple1

August 4 media report. A radar on Christmas Island detected the vessel carrying 16 people.

The passengers have been detained on the island for health and security checks. It's the 22nd boat to arrive since July 19, when the Rudd government announced its new policy which will see asylum seekers processed on Manus Island and those found to be refugees resettled in PNG. Those boats were carrying nearly 1600 people.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/suspected-asylum-seeker-boat-stopped-off-christmas-island/story-fni0xqrb-1226690901756

Sounds like PNG is the destination of their choice. They should be very happy there.

Perhaps another reason to really examine immigration policies. Definitely keep people like this out of civilized world . . . Poor girls.

-----

LONDON -- Two British teenagers who were the victims of an acid attack while volunteering on the Indian Ocean island of Zanzibar suffered burns that are "beyond imagination," according to one of their fathers.

Kirstie Trup and Katie Gee were due to arrive Friday back in London, where they will continue their recovery after receiving burns on their faces, hands, legs, backs and necks.

The 18-year-olds, who were volunteering as teachers on the majority Muslim island, were accosted by two men riding a motorcycle late Wednesday, who then poured acid on them.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/09/19943559-acid-attack-leaves-british-teens-volunteering-on-zanzibar-burned-beyond-imagination?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1

Sounds like PNG is the destination of their choice. They should be very happy there.

You know that is not true, they were shipped by traffickers who without doubt did not inform they they were to be transshipped by the Oz government to PNG

This thread is about Australia sending refugees to PNG. It is not about acid attacks in Zanzibar. It's also not going to turn into an Islam-bashing thread. So unless there is a link between boats coming from Africa to Australia.... Stay on the topic.

I wasn't aware that Australia got a lot of boat people from Africa, especially Zanzibar.

Oh, are acid attacks and abusive practices toward women limited only to Muslims from Zanzibar?

off topic, but no, there are currently an estimated 150 acid attacks on women a year in Colombia.

The statistics on acid attacks are hazy in Colombia, as in other countries where they take place.

Bogota city councilwoman Olga Rubio, a victims’ advocate, said about 100 of the assaults have taken place so far this year across Colombia. It is a pace that would easily surpass last year’s total of 150.

Edited by simple1

On Topic ... how many boats arrived or were intercepted before reaching Christmas Island or the Mainland this week?

I'm in Thailand now and don't have the resources, same as before.

Have any been sent to PNG of the recent arrivals?

Thanks

On Topic ... how many boats arrived or were intercepted before reaching Christmas Island or the Mainland this week?

Thanks

A new boat with 65 on board, takes to 1950 the number of illegal arrivals since Rudd announced the PNG Solution. In the meantime confusion with contradictory policy statements by PNG & Australian governments.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/federal-election/png-may-move-refugees-on/story-fnho52ip-1226692999783

First batch of 40 flown to PNG a ten days ago.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2013/08/20138145338142823.html

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Thanks

A new boat with 65 on board, takes to 1950 the number of illegal arrivals since Rudd announced the PNG Solution. In the meantime confusion with contradictory policy statements by PNG & Australian governments.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/federal-election/png-may-move-refugees-on/story-fnho52ip-1226692999783

Those numbers really mean nothing.

The true indication of the policies effect will be arrivals by boat for the month of November or after

• Like 1

Thanks

Those numbers really mean nothing.

The true indication of the policies effect will be arrivals by boat for the month of November or after

Agree

While buying a banana pancake from this Pakistani guy in Cha Am a few days ago we got into a conversation and he asked me where I was from.

Australia, I replied, though I don't currently live nor work there.

He was quite happy about my country of origin and told me that he has plans to get on a ship to Oz and then claim either asylum or refugee status - he has some USD10.000 saved up.

My telling him that the Oz navy will stop his ship and send him to PNG, he was quite unfazed. Firstly he had no idea what or where PNG is - a part of Australia was his guess . . . secondly he didn't believe me when I told him he wouldn't get either asylum nor refugee status and be locked locked up for a while during which his past would be checked.

The annoying thing was that he seemed to think it was ok telling me he was going to swindle 'my' government to get into 'my' country . . . Odd people around

I was going to ask ... have the boats stopped?

But GIYF ...

Two more asylum seeker boats intercepted

August 12, 2013

HMAS Maryborough and ACV Triton, operating under the coordination of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority’s Rescue Coordination Centre, rendered assistance to a suspected irregular entry vessel that sought assistance north west of Christmas Island last night.

Initial indications suggest there are 50 passengers and two crew on board.

The vessel was initially detected by a Customs and Border Protection Dash-8 surveillance aircraft.

Two asylum boats intercepted near Ashmore Islands

August 14, 2013

HMAS Glenelg, operating under the control of Border Protection Command, intercepted a suspected irregular entry vessel north-north-west of Ashmore Islands today.

Initial reporting suggests there are 121 passengers and five crew on board.

Here

While buying a banana pancake from this Pakistani guy in Cha Am a few days ago we got into a conversation and he asked me where I was from.

He was quite happy about my country of origin and told me that he has plans to get on a ship to Oz and then claim either asylum or refugee status - he has some USD10.000 saved up.

My telling him that the Oz navy will stop his ship and send him to PNG, he was quite unfazed. Firstly he had no idea what or where PNG is - a part of Australia was his guess . . . secondly he didn't believe me when I told him he wouldn't get either asylum nor refugee status and be locked locked up for a while during which his past would be checked.

The annoying thing was that he seemed to think it was ok telling me he was going to swindle 'my' government to get into 'my' country . . . Odd people around

I know, it is so frustrating to listen to so many of the people in Thailand who are trying to figure out some way of swindling the Thai gov't into allowing them to stay.

• Like 2

I know, it is so frustrating to listen to so many of the people in Thailand who are trying to figure out some way of swindling the Thai gov't into allowing them to stay.

laugh.png