new mobile fish and chips

dave2

So it starts and in Thailand with a motorbike cart, but better than a donkey & a wagon.

Hopefully this trend will continue & grow into mobile kitchens as there are many with a broad range of international foods in the States...we used to refer to them as Roach Coaches but over the past decade they've become something closer to mobile cuisine.

I am just wondering how long before one of these Farang operated sidecars has an accident, they then may realise operating an illegal vehicle without insurance wasn't such a good idea as a business model

So it starts and in Thailand with a motorbike cart, but better than a donkey & a wagon.

Hopefully this trend will continue & grow into mobile kitchens as there are many with a broad range of international foods in the States...we used to refer to them as Roach Coaches but over the past decade they've become something closer to mobile cuisine.

I am just wondering how long before one of these Farang operated sidecars has an accident, they then may realise operating an illegal vehicle without insurance wasn't such a good idea as a business model

But....why should that worry you? Surely that's his problem. His risk, etc...

[Or are you in league with 'ThaiDan' who suggested that he would shop someone working without a WP, if he knew about it??]

• Like 2

Why is it always either the Brits or Aussies to take a piss out of something...and in this case a good thing.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Idiots about, be lucky Thailand food isn't just Thai food.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

a good fish and chips starts with the right fish - firm and flakey. Atlantic Cod, Haddock, Grouper, Parrot Fish are all good.

Dory Fish, Pangas, Mekong Catfish are mushy - like mushy peas. No amount of batter can disguise the fish therein.

I'm interested in reviews that identify the fish - right up front.. The taste, the portion size, the price can come later (for me).

Where can I find a nice Atlantic Cod fish and chips in Chiang Mai?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

He has his locations and times on his FB. just search for Dee's mobile fish and chips and you'll find it. He told me that he still sells even on election days, but just dosen't go to the bars if they are shut.

Tried Dee's fish and chips for the first time about a week ago and thought they were great. Hot, crunchy, and delicious. 90 thb for a double order.

Hes good, i sometimes get 3x chips, definitely fills me up and i need to get 3-4x thai meal servings to fill up (ex powerlifter) so 180baht aint too bad

Half the fun is riding the pushie around and trying to hunt him down

Edited by Jdiddy

Hes good, i sometimes get 3x chips, definitely fills me up and i need to get 3-4x thai meal servings to fill up (ex powerlifter) so 180baht aint too bad

We've discussed this enterprising fellow months ago. He sells an unidentified fish (and chips) for 50 baht. His patrons say the fish is tasty, affordable, and filling. I guess that's all that matters . . . . except the identity of the fish ("white fish").

It's Mekong catfish. Pangasius. Panga.

More info in Bangkok Post (September 28, 2012) and elsewhere.

• Like 1

We've discussed this enterprising fellow months ago. He sells an unidentified fish (and chips) for 50 baht. His patrons say the fish is tasty, affordable, and filling. I guess that's all that matters . . . . except the identity of the fish ("white fish").

Hi Bob, You are always looking for good fish,well Makro have

some S.Atlantic Hake,looks nice and white,and is only THB

359 a Kg,a lot cheaper than the Patagonian tooth fish,which

is THB 750 Kg, and it just looks the same,

Regards Worgeordie

some S.Atlantic Hake,looks nice and white,and is only THB

359 a Kg,a lot cheaper than the Patagonian tooth fish,which

is THB 750 Kg, and it just looks the same,

Regards Worgeordie

Thanks for the tip off, I might give that a try.

There is a huge difference in the taste and texture of cold water fish. I used to make sure we had fish at least once a week back home, but I find it very difficult to like warm water fish apart from wild barramundi - I hardly ever cook fish here because it's all warm water mush. Even frozen and defrosted, that hake should be good.

Used in virtually every Farang restaurant in Thailand as the main fish & chip dish,.

About 100 Baht or so for 4 x 250g fish. Good value and passably tasty. The most authentic alternative to cod that I have found.

Used in virtually every Farang restaurant in Thailand as the main fish & chip dish,.

About 100 Baht or so for 4 x 250g fish. Good value and passably tasty. The most authentic alternative to cod that I have found.

Slightly off topic but whaat about Haddock or do they go with the "real deal" for that? Or is that also the Mekong catfish in Fish 'n' Chip eateries that sell it?

I'm mad for having some decent haddock and chips having read all these fish and chip pages on this forum!

Please do let us know if you find Haddock (real deal, authentic, no alternative) here in Chiang Mai.

Finnan Haddie, smoked Haddock,the real smoked kind ,not dyed,

is delicious,poached gently in milk,just dreaming as will never see

it here, think i remember seeing some for sale in Singapore ,years

ago.

We yearn for foods we cannot get here,but sometimes when you are

able to get them after several years,they never taste the same as

you remember them,an example a few years ago i had some

Conference pears and Cox's Orange Pippins brought from the UK,

and they were a disappointment,tasted nothing like i remember them.

Regards Worgeordie

The trademarked stuff from back home always tastes the same to me, but made in Thailand stuff often does not. I still buy imported Doritos from Australia or the US, because the Thailand version is not the same.

I really miss American buttermilk biscuits, but I have never tasted any over here that were more than barely acceptable (actually Popeye's Fried Chicken in Bangkok and Pattaya had good ones, but they closed down long ago).

I loved yellowtail tuna sushi in USA, but what I've found here is not nearly as good.