extension of stay based on retirement question

Currently on ED Visa which expires Sep 18

50th birthday is Oct 7

800K requirements in place already

Will not be renewing ED Visa was told I need to go out of Thailand, come back in

on a tourist (30-day stamp) and then apply for the extension based on retirement assuming

this is after Oct 7. Then I called Immigration and was told I cannot go from the tourist visa directly

to an extension based on retirement that I must apply for a non-immigrant visa first, that will take up to 15

days and will provide 90 days of stay. After that I can apply for the extension based on retirement.

My questions are:

1. Does this sound familiar/true?

2. If so, what is the reasoning and/or reason for the 90-day non-immigrant visa?

Thank you all in advance.

its correct;

ur not aplying for a retirement visa

ur applying for a retirement extension so u need the Non immigrant visa first as you can only get an extension on a non immigrant visa for long term stay ( i am NOT refering to 30 days extensions on a tourist visa)

apply for the extension within 30 days of ur NON immigrant visa is due to expire, ie 60+ days after u get it

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

its correct;

ur applying for a retirement extension so u need the Non immigrant visa first as you can only get an extension on a non immigrant visa for long term stay ( i am NOT refering to 30 days extensions on a tourist visa)

apply for the extension within 30 days of ur NON immigrant visa is due to expire, ie 60+ days after u get it

Right, but my question is what is the basis for the non immigrant visa? Why are they giving it to me? Is it based on my saying I will be applying for the retirement extension later or some other reason?

You could go out and re-enter and get a permit to enter stamp, and then extend that based on retirement. It'll save you the non-O visa fee wink.png

I don't understand this. My visa expires Sep 18, My 50th birthday is Oct 7. If I have a multiple entry stamp and I go out, say, Sep 17, when I return my current visa is no longer valid. Or are you speaking of something else, and if so please give details, thanks.

ykatz0 try and get a Non Imm O Visa from a Thai Consulate for the reason of exploring retirement.

They should issue if you are over 50.

If not get a Tourist Visa. This can be converted to a Non Imm Visa at Immigration for a fee of 2,000 Baht. (They might send you to Bangkok to do this)

You can then apply for the retirement extension. 1,900 Baht.

ykatz0 try and get a Non Imm O Visa from a Thai Consulate for the reason of exploring retirement.

If not get a Tourist Visa. This can be converted to a Non Imm Visa at Immigration for a fee of 2,000 Baht. (They might send you to Bangkok to do this)

This sounds more reasonable, however, I called a Thai Consulate earlier and spoke with a reliable contact who I know there (in Los Angeles, CA) and he said they have been restricted to not giving Non Imm O Visas based on that. And again, my question, what the Tourist Visa is converted to a Non Imm Visa, what is the reason for the Non Imm Visa? Is it of exploring retirement?

And just to be sure can I come into Thailand and get the 30-day automatic visa and convert it to a Non Imm O visa based on "exploring retirement"?

Edited by ykatz0

You could go out and re-enter and get a permit to enter stamp, and then extend that based on retirement. It'll save you the non-O visa fee wink.png

No it wont.

He would then have to pay 2,000 for the Non Imm Visa at Immigration.

My bad wai.gif I thought you could skip a step by doing the extension on the entry permit.

Still - you can get the entry permit stamp and then pay immigration for the non-O and save the hassle and expense of leaving thailand to get it. Then you have 90 days in which to achieve 50 and sort out the rest of the things you need like proof of residence. I'd recommend going to the immigration office you intend to use before you start spending time on things you might not need. I see reports of a wide range of interpretations of the rules by different offices, so best to get the requirements from the horse's mouth ;)

oh yeah! great point, I forgot about proof of residence! I already know I cannot get that unless I have a Non Imm visa in the region I live in, thanks! So I guess tabien bahn (proof of residence) is required for the extension based on retirement? Yes, I will ask the officer one last time before I go there as well!

Edited by ykatz0

Since you will not be 50 when your ED visa expires in Sept, most likely any Thai consulate will not issue you a Non-O for exporling retirement purposes. You should get a single entry tourist visa. That will give you 60 days on entry. When you turn 50 go to immigration and convert the tourist visa to a Non-O, 2000 baht. Most offices will not do the conversion and will send you to Bangkok. During the last 30 days of the Non-O, go to the immigration office responsible for the area where you live and apply for a 1 year retirement extension, cost 1900 baht. You do not need yor name on ta Tambian Baan book to prove residece (you won't get it anyway) you only need a rental or lease agreement.

When you go the the consulate to get the tourist visa you should explain your situation about turning 50 in one month and see if they will issue the Non-O. it's worthn a try nd would save money and hassle applying for the Non-O in Thailnad.

My 2 baht worth!

Edited by wayned

As said nothing hurt is asking if Consulate will issue single entry non immigrant O visa as you intend to apply for retirement extension when 50 - they may do it. If not a single entry tourist visa to cover the time and when age 50 take proof of financials (with at least 15 days remaining on permitted stay) to immigration to apply for conversion on basis of application for retirement extension. They may allow both steps or they may require you to return 60 days later for the actual extension (you may save the cost of extra financial paperwork if they will do in on step).

its correct;

try understanding it like the thais do....Immigration works like gastronomy.....if you began cooking Pad thai.... you have to first finish cooking it... you cannot make it into a green or Pad dang curry...... :)

thai Kitchen rules!!!!

"And just to be sure can I come into Thailand and get the 30-day automatic visa and convert it to a Non Imm O visa based on "exploring retirement"?"

You're talking about a 'visa exempt' entry, not an 'automatic visa'.

The problem with that is the airlines may not let you board a flight to here without either a visa or an onward flight within 30 days.

Good luck, whichever route you choose to take.

This sounds more reasonable, however, I called a Thai Consulate earlier and spoke with a reliable contact who I know there (in Los Angeles, CA) and he said they have been restricted to not giving Non Imm O Visas based on that. And again, my question, what the Tourist Visa is converted to a Non Imm Visa, what is the reason for the Non Imm Visa? Is it of exploring retirement?

And just to be sure can I come into Thailand and get the 30-day automatic visa and convert it to a Non Imm O visa based on "exploring retirement"?

The LA consulate gave information based upon what they can do. They do not issue non-o visas for retirement because they can do the OA visa. If you apply outside of the US at an embassy or official consulate they will do the non-o because they cannot issue you a OA visa.

I suggest you make a trip to any nearby consulate or embassy and try and get a single entry non-o visa since you will be turning 50 shortly after you make the application. If they don't want to do it then get a single entry tourist visa and then do conversion to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration.

You should contact your local immigration office to see if they can do the conversion.

Edited by ubonjoe

Ok, so here is my plan:

1. I will go to the Philippine consulate in Bangkok a few days before Sep 18th and get a tourist visa.

2. Will take a plane to Clark / Angeles and hang out there...for my 50th birthday! (if anyone is around hit me up and we'll

make a tour of it!)

3. Might travel to Cebu or Manila and get a tourist visa for Thailand or may decide to get the automatic 30 day (I have done this before and there is no problem about a plane ticket on the Thailand side, on the Philippine side there is definitely an issue).

4. When I get back to Thailand will go to Immigration, most likely in Bangkok, no less than 15 days before my tourist visa expires and apply for a Non Imm based on exploring retirement.

5. In the 90 days I can get some sort of writing in the Jangwat of my choice and bring that with my financial proof and apply for the extension based on retirement.

Wish me luck, will post back the rest of the experiences here for posterity sake (and those who are searching of course)!

Thank you all so much for your imput and patience!

~y

Why get a tourist visa when you can get a single entry non-o visa based upon you being over 50 for retirement. Even the not so friendly embassy in Manila should do it.

This would save you a trip to immigration and paying the same 2000 baht for the visa that you would pay at the embassy.

As said nothing hurt is asking if Consulate will issue single entry non immigrant O visa as you intend to apply for retirement extension when 50 - they may do it. If not a single entry tourist visa to cover the time and when age 50 take proof of financials (with at least 15 days remaining on permitted stay) to immigration to apply for conversion on basis of application for retirement extension. They may allow both steps or they may require you to return 60 days later for the actual extension (you may save the cost of extra financial paperwork if they will do in on step).

This is the most correct answer I have seen I did the same thing . I had an ed Visa and converted it for retirement I did not leave the country So My guess is if you talk nice to the immgration officer then maybe they will do it for you since you will be 50 in one month

The regulation on tourist visa is that you cannot apply for non immigrant, work permit or any other visa, so you have two choice as below

1- Change your Tourist Visa to Non Immigrant Visa in Thailand and than apply for retirement Visa

2- Exit from Thailand and than apply retirement Visa in your country of residence or get Non Immigrant Visa to enter in Thailand

I will suggest better change visa status in Thailand it will save your time. In the end you will find that the charges you will be paying for transferring Tourist to Non O Visa will be more or less same if you travel out and apply.

so Why not enjoy your 50th Birthday in Thailand and relax.. smile.png

He does not have a tourist visa to change from and his ED visa expires before he is old enough to qualify for retirement extension of stay. He needs some type of entry to fill this period of time and allow a change of status. If he could obtain a non immigrant visa rather than a tourist visa it is a win-win situation for him. And he would apply for retirement extension of stay - not retirement visa - inside Thailand. In any event he seems to have no choice but to exit Thailand at some point (unless he is up for a quick wedding).

Hi ,well i enterd thailand on ED visa ,after finishing my studies i made my company got the work permit and visa for 1 year .Its now 10 years but my visa still shows as Non Em ED Visa and not business visa .

The immigration renew it every year but they cannot change visa to business visa .

i just fail to understand ,can any body throw some light

The visa is nothing more than a permit to travel to Thailand. Once you arrive, immigration denies you entry or gives you a permission to stay. it is this permission to stay that is yearly extended, not the visa itself. That expired years ago. Normally you only change the reason of stay and do not get a new visa.

What is strange in your situation is that they allowed you a work permit on an ED-visa, most times that is not done and they will insist that you go abroad and get a non-B visa before a WP is issued.

At one time teachers got ED visas not B's.

To get an extension all that is required is a non immigrant visa entry according to police order 777/2551 which does not specify that it has to be a ED, B, O and etc.