• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Driving Laws in Thailand???

I thought there were only "Check Point Laws"

1) Where is helmet?

2) Registration?

3) Licence? Is it international? ( no licence? it's o.k., pay 200 thb and get a note so you can continue to drive without a licence for the rest of the day!)

I have heard that it sometimes happens, but, I have never seen a vehicle pulled over for unsafe driving or any moving violation.

Only get violations if you are unlucky enough to be caught at a check point..

ie. Check Point Laws.

Do they actually have driving laws in Thailand? Are they not only to give the BIB tea money when they run out?

I was stopped with my red plate on the 2nd day with the car (5 years ago, in Bangkok), and the policeman came with the story of keeping a log in the book, I got off free after telling him sorry, it's a new car, I didn't know. He checked the odometer to verify my story and let me go. I have returned to the dealership immediately and asked them about this - they said, no, you can't write anything there at all. And they advised that I write it in pencil, to show to the police, then erase it, before returning the book with the red plate.
Next car in Chiang Mai, 5 years later, no red plate, was driving around without license plate for 5 weeks, no trouble with police - actually a lot of cars are driving without plates here.

My trick on avoiding being stopped at checkpoints - told by an officer at the HuaHin-ChaAm bypass road checkpoint - is to always lower your (probably tinted) windows when approaching the checkpoint. Actually the officer said it is a law. Anyway I do so every time since that, at every checkpoint, and I had no license or registration check for years, just waved through.

>.....received a 15 minute lecture about driving in the farthest left lane with a small car.

Indeed this is a driving law in Thailand - did you fail to read up on Thai driving laws before taking to the wheel?

>....at the next police stop got a $400 baht fine ( with receipt) for not filling out the page in front of the handbook

400 Baht is the normal official fine for a moving traffic offence, often your driving licence will be confiscated and you will need to make payment at the local police office, then get your licence back when you return to the place you were stopped and show the receipt saying you have paid the fine. "In a hurry Farang? - we'll slow you down to prove a point!"

>...15 minute lecture because during the red plate usage time the car can not be used at night or driving in the rain (no fine this time) I wonder how many more of these unique laws I will encounter in the future.....

Probably many laws that you assume you know - Thailand is not the same as Farangland, it's different.

• Like 1

My wife drove her car with a red plate for 13 months (due to the intransigence of the sales dealer) yet was never stopped despite driving night and day all over the Kingdom and passing through numerous police checkpoints. Obviously a Thai is ignored whereas a Farang is fair game!

Having driven in Thailand for nearly 40 years I am still unable to find an answer to the following question, For how many metres does a No Overaking rule apply from the mandatory sign? Unlike some countries that use 'restriction no longer applies' signs, Thailand does not therefore there must be a 'depth zone' after the sign after which the restriction no longer applies.

Of course, the No Overtaking sign is top of the list to be ignored by Thai nationals although I have a personal theory that they actually don't see any traffic signs rather than ignore them!

The issue is not whether traffic is slow or not... it is simply that all traffic should drive in the leftist lane, unless to overtake other cars. Period. No "fast or slow" traffic and it is certainly illegal to hog the so called "fast lane". Although in some areas, the road on the leftmost lane is so badly damaged by trucks that it is almost undriveable.

That was my understanding too but even armed with a translated copy of these laws, the officer kept insisting this did not apply to bikes. I have so far not seen the traffic law stating bikes have to stay in the left.

However if this was not true why do all the Thais accept it as true. I pay as arguing with a guy with a gun is not that smart. I was certainly always keeping up with the rest of the traffic if not going faster.

It does gets on my nerves, not the fine but the fact that often you have to pay the fine somewhere else and get your drivers license. Time wasted is the problem.

In Thailand small and big bikes have the same laws as mopeds in your home country. The first time, I was stopped om my bike for not driving in the left lane (in BKK), I was fined with 500 Baht.

The second time I was lucky, as I managed to convince the engslish speaking BiB, that I had to use the next U-turn, which was not a lie.

There are three driving rules in Thailand that i'm aware of :

- show no mercy

- give no quarter

- take no prisoners

You forgot the three rules for overtaking:

1st Manoeuvre

2nd Signal

3rd Look in your mirror

Sorry .. everyone knows mirrors are tools of the devil and are not to be used or trusted.

Seems only laws that apply here are 1. If you are farang, you are in the wrong. We will figure out what you did wrong when we stop you 2. It is always your fault and you will pay. To question the well trained officers conclusions and accusations is to make him lose face. Higher payoff for that soul crippler.

My wife drove her car with a red plate for 13 months (due to the intransigence of the sales dealer) yet was never stopped despite driving night and day all over the Kingdom and passing through numerous police checkpoints. Obviously a Thai is ignored whereas a Farang is fair game!

Having driven in Thailand for nearly 40 years I am still unable to find an answer to the following question, For how many metres does a No Overaking rule apply from the mandatory sign? Unlike some countries that use 'restriction no longer applies' signs, Thailand does not therefore there must be a 'depth zone' after the sign after which the restriction no longer applies.

Of course, the No Overtaking sign is top of the list to be ignored by Thai nationals although I have a personal theory that they actually don't see any traffic signs rather than ignore them!

I would tend to disprove your allegation. I drove for four months on red plates all over Thailand, passed through several police check points at Mae Sot, etc. and never was stopped once for my red plates.

At check points, I got stopped some times for alcohol checks, but never got any word about my red plates, even at night (in Bangkok). Oh, and BTW, I do not have super-dark tints.

Last checkpoint was this week-end, an alcohol checkpoint on one of the banks around royal palace. Was not even stopped (they had floodlights to illuminate the cabins).

Red plates here are basically the same thing as 'dealer plates' in the West - their purpose is to provide a form of 'temporary permission' to drive an otherwise unregistered and uninsured car on public roads.

They are intended for commercial purposes e.g. transferring stock between showrooms, sending cars out for pre-delivery accessory fitting etc, and were designed as an instrument to help those in the auto trade drive their unregistered stock on public roads legally - with the restriction that they can only be used between daylight hours (6AM-6PM), and log books must be maintained.

The only thing strange is that they allow them to be used by customers wink.png

As for keeping left unless overtaking, I think you'll find that one's not unique to Thailand biggrin.png

You have to drive on red plates. A friend waited for more than 6 months for the white ones.

But mustn't bash the Thais (well, must we?) but they are stupid, stupid, stupid.

In the west you purchase a car and the dealer has the permanent plates fitted before you take delivery. An hour after receiving the cheque.

Here in the realm 'please don't get me started' bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Edited by johnlandy

Ive driven a motorbike in bkk daily for 7years. I really don't find driving in bkk bad at all, I actually find it quite normal. I keep a 100baht note between my bike and car licenses incase the Police nab me driving over a raised car only road/bridge or driving in the right lane. That only happens maybe 3-4times per year, as long as your polite with the police and smile they usually laugh it off and let you away with no bribe.

For the past year I have been working in Vietnam, i cant begin to explain how different the driving conditions are here. The level of driving skill/awareness is really nonexistent. whenever i go back to bkk i feel so relieved and calm to be driving on Thai roads after the nightmare conditions on Vietnamese roads.

From what I understand you drive on the left unless overtaking or if you are traveling faster then the traffic in the far left (sort of the same thing I guess). This is the same as the UK driving law so sitting in the inside lines is definitely a no, no. All the rest just seems be interpretation and it is just about luck. Some policeman seem to not understand the written law and even if you show them they will stick to their word. The only thing you can do is drive safely and defensively, smile, be polite and if you are unlucky enough to get a roadside fine, pay with a smile and just get on your merry way. There really is nothing you can do about it so you just have to accept it as being part of living and driving here. For me the most important thing is staying safe, so stick to that as following the law to the letter is no guarantee you won't have to shell out some cash next time you encounter the police.

My wife drove her car with a red plate for 13 months (due to the intransigence of the sales dealer) .....

I think you will find you are mistaken.

Let me explain how it works in Thailand......

While a new car is on a Red/Black index plate it is covered by the dealer supplied log-book, into which all journeys must be noted. This is to provide "who was driving at the time" information that would be used in the event of investigating a hit & run crash etc.

While the car is under the Red/Black index plate it is zero years old. And will remain zero years old until it has an official Blue Book issued, at that point and only that point is the car officially "born" and will start ageing.

Thus a car purchased in December 2010 running in Red/Black index plates can still appear "new" in 2011, the longest I've heard of this being played out is 18 months. So if the official Blue Book is issued in May 2012 and it gets it's proper White/Black or White/Green etc index plates the car can be officially called a 2012 model for the purposes of a sale. Snicky isn't it!

Often the motivation for the owner of a new car to keep the Red/Black index plate is to act as a status symbol that the car is "new" as there is no age related indication on the outside of many cars unless you know a make and the annual facelift and minor trim changes they make.

Being on a Red/Black index plate does not stop you having and paying your tax and insurance.

Other comments about the Red/Black plates being the equivalent of "Dealer Plates" in The West is also wrong.

"Dealer Plates" displayed on cars in transit from one location to another being driven by a dealer or their agent means that that vehicle is covered by a specific dealer's/trader's insurance policy.

The plate shows that the driver has insurance covering any vehicle they are driving with the plate displayed.

In Thailand the Red/Black index plate does not infer, provide or connect to any insurance coverage whatsoever.

If you keep you eyes open in places like Pattaya for Red/Black index plates you will see that certain "cherished" numbers appear frequently, from memory 8999 is one of the Red/Black index plates used by Toyota in North Pattaya. They have many copies of this particular plate (because nine is a lucky number) so it is not that uncommon to see a Vios and Vigo next to each other at a junction waiting the the stop-lights to change where both vehicles are wearing the 8999 Red/Black index plate for ชลบุรี province.

Some dealers with limited numbers of Red/Black index plates will want them back quickly and chase through the official number plate and Blue Book, others are lax on this issue but are happy to accept a 1,000 Baht to slow down the paperwork so the owner can enjoy their "new" car a bit longer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to be clear. There is no such thing and dealer insurance for cars like there is in The West, the insurance policy goes with the car - not the driver.

Edited by Cuban

maybe I've Been lucky but I've just been stopped once in 12 years. I've probably covered 250K kms here. Cops can be fussy about red plates but if you follow the rules regarding the, there should be no problems. Not sure why the cop would tell you to drive on the left if you have a small car - the you need to do battle with the trucks and that chewed up lane.....the time I got stopped was when i was going to Pattaya and was in the right lane. No fine just a warning.

Same stupid reason as for bikes to stay in the left. The law never states such a thing just that slow traffic should stay left (ike in any normal country)

As I understand it, the ride only in the left lane law dates back to the days of the Honda Super Cub 50, which couldn't keep up with traffic, and in general is part of keeping the bikers as second class road user citizens... You'll notice that the motorbike parking lot is invariably far away from the doors of what ever mall it is you are visiting. A lot of parking lots are running out of car space these days, (as the brilliant Bt100,000 rebate plan kicks in, alongside growing middle class incomes and cheaper cars)... so the solution? Make the bike parking lots smaller. Cut out four bikes in exchange for one car, even though most cars are single occupant. But that occupant, being a car owner and therefore wealthier than the motorbike scum, has a greater entitlement to a parking space - it doesn't even require conscious thought to know that. It's the same with the flyovers - is there any rational reason why bikes can't use a lot of them? Perhaps because they annoy the car drivers?

The Police are the law, judge jury and executioner they will decide what is wrong and what is right regarding driving rules, and they will charge you 200 Baht to prove they are the law and are always right, I have found it is never worth arguing with them for a few Baht as it can aggravate the situation I once was made to drive almost 20Km back the way I just came to pay a fine and get a receipt at the police station.

Edited by metisdead
Font

One little known of Thai driving law, to non Thais is this one:-

"Always try to drive on the left hand side of the road, unless turning right, then you may use the right hand lane of the road you are turning into, be on the look out for on coming traffic in that lane even though it might a surprise."

Edited by nong38

maybe I've Been lucky but I've just been stopped once in 12 years....

Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've just been stopped 365 times in one year.

Our town has a regular police block every day on my way to work. Yes, it's a huge traffic bottleneck and there are few detours available.

After 10 years of this, they know me by sight, but still have to stop, show them my registration, license, and tax tab. I just build it into my regular timetable/routine. They're just waiting for the day I forget one of the three, and they can nab me for the obligatory 200-400B. T.I.T.

Have you considered by purpose to forget one of the items pay the 200 baht and maybe be left alone for perhaps a year?

Yes, very good advice. That should work. tongue.png

I have been told many times for many years, they police the overtaking lane rule regularly and i wish they would do so in Australia, where drivers really love to travel at 10 ks below the limit three abreast and overtaking on the inside is the norm.

Just to give you an idea of how the Germans police overtaking on the inside by comparison.

No warnings, no Euros in the top pocket. Instant loss of your license.

I always wear large sunglasses hiding my farangness as much as possible.

Tootling along to Udon Thani one day at about 120 kliks I got pulled over by a short line of cops who herded me to the curb. I had forgotten the 100's notes in the top pocket and was going through the thousands in my wallet, when the last cop put his head through the window, pulling it back suddenly saying "Too much. Too much." and laughing.

I mumbled something like "Well I wasn't planning on giving you all that!" when he said smiling broadly "400". I presume 100 each.

I gladly paid him.

He looked absolutely resplendent. The polished boots, leggings, green uniform with shiny brass buttons and red piping, the sun glinting off the mirror like peak of his hat.

He smiled again broadly his teeth matching the absolute whiteness of his full length white gloves, and placing his hands in the prayer position he bowed slightly and then with a dismissive downward gesture of both hands he urged me

"Slow down, Slow down." Smiling warmly, his eyes full of job satisfaction and mirth.

No mention of my license.

If all the road patrols in all the world always treated me like that, I would be the happiest little lead foot on earth.

Only in Thailand.

• Like 1

maybe I've Been lucky but I've just been stopped once in 12 years....

Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've just been stopped 365 times in one year.

Our town has a regular police block every day on my way to work. Yes, it's a huge traffic bottleneck and there are few detours available.

After 10 years of this, they know me by sight, but still have to stop, show them my registration, license, and tax tab. I just build it into my regular timetable/routine. They're just waiting for the day I forget one of the three, and they can nab me for the obligatory 200-400B. T.I.T.

We find in Buriram the police checks are mainly on a Thursday (the day before pay day I am told)

There are three driving rules in Thailand that i'm aware of :

- show no mercy

- give no quarter

- take no prisoners

You forgot the three rules for overtaking:

1st Manoeuvre

2nd Signal

3rd Look in your mirror

I've never seen a Thai do number 2 or 3, just the first...

• Like 1

I find it difficult to suppose that one risks a stoppage or even a fine for driving a vehicle with red plates when it is raining. At the onset of the first few spots cops just disappear. Scared that their uniforms might further shrink?

• Like 2

My wife drove her car with a red plate for 13 months (due to the intransigence of the sales dealer) .....

I think you will find you are mistaken.

Let me explain how it works in Thailand......

While a new car is on a Red/Black index plate it is covered by the dealer supplied log-book, into which all journeys must be noted. This is to provide "who was driving at the time" information that would be used in the event of investigating a hit & run crash etc.

While the car is under the Red/Black index plate it is zero years old. And will remain zero years old until it has an official Blue Book issued, at that point and only that point is the car officially "born" and will start ageing. 

Thus a car purchased in December 2010 running in Red/Black index plates can still appear "new" in 2011, the longest I've heard of this being played out is 18 months. So if the official Blue Book is issued in May 2012 and it gets it's proper White/Black or White/Green etc index plates the car can be officially called a 2012 model for the purposes of a sale. Snicky isn't it!

Often the motivation for the owner of a new car to keep the Red/Black index plate is to act as a status symbol that the car is "new" as there is no age related indication on the outside of many cars unless you know a make and the annual facelift and minor trim changes they make. 

Being on a Red/Black index plate does not stop you having and paying your tax and insurance.

Other comments about the Red/Black plates being the equivalent of "Dealer Plates" in The West is also wrong. 

"Dealer Plates" displayed on cars in transit from one location to another being driven by a dealer or their agent means that that vehicle is covered by a specific dealer's/trader's insurance policy.

The plate shows that the driver has insurance covering any vehicle they are driving with the plate displayed.

In Thailand the Red/Black index plate does not infer, provide or connect to any insurance coverage whatsoever.

If you keep you eyes open in places like Pattaya for Red/Black index plates you will see that certain "cherished" numbers appear frequently, from memory 8999 is one of the Red/Black index plates used by Toyota in North Pattaya. They have many copies of this particular plate (because nine is a lucky number)  so it is not that uncommon to see a Vios and Vigo next to each other at a junction waiting the the stop-lights to change where both vehicles are wearing the 8999 Red/Black index plate for ชลบุรี province. 

Some dealers with limited numbers of Red/Black index plates will want them back quickly and chase through the official number plate and Blue Book, others are lax on this issue but are happy to accept a 1,000 Baht to slow down the paperwork so the owner can enjoy their "new" car a bit longer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to be clear. There is no such thing and dealer insurance for cars like there is in The West, the insurance policy goes with the car - not the driver.

My Sister in law drove her red plates for about 4 months, as she was waiting for her special "lucky" plates to become ready.

What please is a "blue" book? I have no such thing in my car. There is only the insurance policy and the windshield stickers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My Sister in law drove her red plates for about 4 months, as she was waiting for her special "lucky" plates to become ready.

What please is a "blue" book? I have no such thing in my car. There is only the insurance policy and the windshield stickers.

If your can is under finance the finance company will have the book, if it is not under finance and you are not on red plates then you should have the blue book.

If your can is under finance the finance company will have the book, if it is not under finance and you are not on red plates then you should have the blue book.

100% correct, though I am not sure I would keep the blue book in the car itself. Keeping a copy there ok because the real one would make it real easy to sell it if stolen.

• Like 1

There are "driving laws" but enforcement is all but non-existent. Amazing that it works about as well as countries where driving laws are strictly enforced. In those countries, you can't pay full attention to actual traffic because you are always looking 'over your shoulder' for the copsw00t.gif There is even a name for that kind of driving now(because of cell phones). The oddest thing about driving here (to me) is the fact that the U-turns are in the "fast lane" and few of them have the extra lane( or enough of one) to make traffic flow safe and smooth. Instead, you best be prepared to dodge and to watch out for dodgers. So the idea of a "fast lane" or passing lane is just a fantasy and imagine the amount of traffic if everyone did drive in the left lanefacepalm.gif