Thaksin Indicates He Will Handpick Next Pm

Michael W

Thaksin indicates he will handpick next PM

Thai Rak Thai Party leader Thaksin Shinawatra gave a strong hint Sunday that he would pick his successor for the post of prime minister.

He gave the hint after reporters asked him to comment on growing calls by various factions inside Thai Rak Thai that party members wanted to have a say on selecting the next prime minister.

Thaksin said it was normal for the party executive members to come out to express their opinion but eventually they would have decipline.

When asked whether Thai Rak Thai MPs-elect would have a free say on who should be the next prime minister, Thaksin replied: "I have my own way. I won't say it now but I'll hold a meeting [with Thai Rak Thai executives,]" Thaksin said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30001341

It appears the PAD celebrations were premature.

Doesn't it look like Thaksin is just laying low until after the King's 60 years on the throne celebrations?

Without the target of Thaksin to gel the oppostion, they seem to be fading out fast.

The puppetmaster speaks, so much for the new spirit of democracy.

Oh, rubbish.

What do you expect to happen here? Why in the world would the party that has won every election for years by huge numbers (and the leader of that party) NOT choose the next PM? If not them, who? Surely not the losers of all those elections by huge numbers. And certainly not those two senile loudmouths who are the self-appointed bandmasters of the PAD and who haven't been elected to anything.

By the way, I noticed that Economist's cover story this week is about Thailand and what they call the replacement of democracy here by minority mob rule. Funny that I never saw any mention of that cover story in either the Post or the Nation, and you know how both those papers love to exaggerate any mention at all of Thailand in the world press. I guess maybe nobody must have seen it, huh?

Edited by OldAsiaHand

The puppetmaster speaks, so much for the new spirit of democracy.

Oh, rubbish.

What do you expect to happen here? Why in the world would the party that has one every election for years by huge numbers (and the leader of that party) NOT choose the next PM? If not them, who? Surely not the losers of all those elections by huge numbers. And certainly not those two senile loudmouths who are the self-appointed leaders of the PAD and who haven't been elected to anything.

By the way, I noticed that Economist's cover story this week is about Thailand and what they call the replacement of democracy here by minority mob rule. Funny that I never saw any mention of that cover story in either the Post or the Nation, and you know how both those papers love to exaggerate any mention at all of Thailand in the world press. I guess maybe nobody has seen it.......

I think you misunderstood PanzerJohns' meaning. :o

Of course PAD or whatever they are calling themselves now don't have any right to choose, it is for the party membership. And that is the point, Thaksin shouldn't be the one who dictates who the next PM will be for TRT, the TRT membership should be able to choose who they want to lead them.