Trains, passengers and trainstations

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK we have no railway on Samui, so hard to do!!! tongue.png .... but the last couple of days I have been taking photos of photos ... glad I printed before losing images!

So here's my contribution (technically the photo taken in Thailand.... wink.png even though the original was not whistling.gif )

It's okay, thanks for having a go.thumbsup.gif Who are they, jimmy?

No idea who they are ! ...... a couple of clowns! tongue.png ... It was at my old village annual festival back in Canada, eh!

Oh sorry to Mr Wan Kin, a limerick, not a poem! giggle.gif

Yes! Dancealot you are correct,there is another perpective on travelling by train in Thailand.

There is something unique and exciting travelling by train in Thailand. The rawness of it all,from crossing between carriages that give you a mini fairground type ride,and the hope that you don't lurch too much,left or right, and get sucked out of the open side doors,never to be seen again.

But it's all worth it, to make it to the Restaurant Car,and the satisfaction that you have arrived in one piece (after the buffetting) to a well earned expensive Bottle of Leo,and surprisingly the inflated cost is irrelevant on trains,it's all part of the experience. Gazing out the window,with the cool air rushing through your hair,the smell of the Countryside, and the clank clank and screech of brakes at every station stopped at,couldn't be reproduced at a Theme Park,this is it,and what you paid your ticket for,and when the overnight train to Bangkok from Udonthani stops at Koen Ken to let the wheels cool down,and also a chance to stop at the platform shop ,and after a suitable amount of Beer,it's time to get back on,and hit your Bunk Bed,made up excellently by the onboard stewards,make sure you get to your Bunk around 11 pm,because they lock the interconnecting carriages,and your only hope of getting to your carriage and Bunk,is to wait for the next station and run to it along the station platform,you have about hmm..less than a minute before the train will leave without you!

Arriving in outer Bangkok at around 6 a.m after a rocky nights sleep,is the time to go to the Restaurant Car for your morning coffee and enjoy the the super countryside and a gentle meander into Bangkok and all the sights of people waking up to a new day,and going about their daily Business,thrilling stuff,filled with bouyant activity and visual interest.

A highly recommended Journey for those that can switch off ,enjoy the roughness of it all, it's not 1st class pampered stuff,but it's, as I said its a bit raw,but certainly interesting, and it's great fun,even for older guys like me! and charming in it's own right.

Journey time: Depart Udonthai 20:00 pm Arrive Bangkok 07-30 am. same times return journey from Bangkok.

Sorry I don't have any Pics.

What's missing from this picture?

attachicon.gifDSCN0807.JPG

It's probably busier now...

SC

I see one cleaner in the far distance, SC....thumbsup.gif

This looks very similar to the Bangkok, Makkhasan, BTS station...

The Skytrain....whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

It's Makkhasan, which, to my simple mind, and based on my brief visit there, was the worst-designed railway station I have ever visited. Although perhaps I was using the wrong criteria. It seemed to maximise land take, minimise integration with the surrounding environment, and the site roads seemed to maximise the taxi bill to get off site.

SC

9374441663_d83a116136_b.jpg

Nice picture of the Airport Rail Link columns, if I'm not mistaken.

Here's a couple of pictures taken from opposite directions, and a few years apart.

The first shows the view of the railway from my apartment at the time,

the second shows the view of the apartment once the railway had opened.

post-60794-0-09676400-1375227569_thumb.j

post-60794-0-73139100-1375227592_thumb.j

9374441663_d83a116136_b.jpg

Nice picture of the Airport Rail Link columns, if I'm not mistaken.

Here's a couple of pictures taken from opposite directions, and a few years apart.

The first shows the view of the railway from my apartment at the time,

the second shows the view of the apartment once the railway had opened.

attachicon.gifDSCN3774.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0830.JPG

you are correct, both images were taken with my back to where the track crosses asoke. there is a grotty little stall there i stop at when i go for bike rides.

It's Makkhasan, which, to my simple mind, and based on my brief visit there, was the worst-designed railway station I have ever visited. Although perhaps I was using the wrong criteria. It seemed to maximise land take, minimise integration with the surrounding environment, and the site roads seemed to maximise the taxi bill to get off site.

SC

You are quite right, streetcowboy. Here another shot of the gloomy chilling station.

post-70928-0-59359500-1375283120_thumb.j

When I arrived there at 11pm the station spat me out towards the high priced taxis. Decided to wait and in about 5 minutes the people and the taxis where gone. I was alone, felt apprehensive and started to walk to any of the big hotels(recall an Ibis sign as a marker). I don't recommend this walk to anyone, I had to wai off people who had enjoyed more then a few, who happily offered me a ride and so that walk soon turned into a march. Ended up in the Prince Hotel.... run down place but very good service.

Sorry I don't have any Pics.

Thank you very much, Mr, MAJIC.

[edit] Your story is worth a dozen photo's and made me smile a couple of times.thumbsup.gif

Sometimes I like to write something light hearted,can't be a Grumpy Old Fella all the time.wai2.gif

Archived