Phuket vs. Pattaya

grumpyoldman

O.K., so off of Big Bill's thread I thought it would be worthwhile to pop this topic open, as one poster mentioned (NKM you?), many are moving from Phuket to Pattaya.

I have some Russian friends that prefer Pattaya, they say it's cheaper and easier to get around, plus I believe more Russians.

Last time I was there...........2003 maybe(?), I didn't care for it as I'm a beach person and the beach there was not to my liking.

Nightlife, well, it's Patong basically......

A well established Phuket resort owner and restaurateur I have known for a long time moved to an area outside of Pattaya, further down the coast where I believe he is constructing a resort because he anticipates even more growth there.

Please lets keep this constructive and not degrade into one or the other sucks, please pipe in with experiences and personal opinions.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya:

The beaches are still very poor within the central areas.

It IS much easier to get around and also quite cheap (10 baht).

Since 2003 there have been massive changes. Many more luxury options near the beach area catering the family tourists and Bangkok Thais.

For example, the new Hilton and the luxury mall Central Pattaya Beach.

Yes I think commercially the future is very bright indeed for the Pattaya region.

• Like 2

There the tourist zone and there is the real zone which is very easy to access in Pattaya (walk a few minutes) and that impacts prices.

For example a few days ago I had this meal a few minutes walk from the tourist zone:

Spicy fruit salad w/ cashew nuts (best I've ever had)

Gai yang (small) small was actually more like large

Shrimp and bean vermicelli clay pot

About 200 baht

I don't think you can match that in Phuket near the tourism areas.

I think most tourists in Pattaya get stuck mostly in the tourist trap areas and don't realize what a great value it can be.

Not compared to Isaan but compared to Phuket, I think so.

It really has bloomed into a Bangkok by the Sea type of place.

There are fewer and fewer good reasons for Pattaya residents to even bother going to Bangkok.

Not that there aren't big downsides of course.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I just came back from my first ever visit there and my thoughts are:

1st/ Traffic is bad, but folks drive sensibly. More red lights than traffic circles but people patiently wait in their lanes and not much straddling like Phuket drivers.

2/ The beach was no comparison. First of all the water was a very unpleasant brownish color. I wouldn't swim in it (unless maybe I stayed there a long time and forgot how nice west coast beaches can be in Thailand)

And the umbrella vendors attempt to totally block out the sun from renters. A lot like Cha-am where they don't realize some people go to the beach to get a tan. I walked the beach in the morning and saw 1 person renting from the hundreds of chairs and 4 people laying in the sand of low-tide between the umbrellas and the water. I can only hope Phuket beach vendors never take this approach.

3/ Quality of hotels and food and bars seemed about the same to me.
We had a very nice hotel, near the action for 1500 baht/night ("Golden Beach Hotel") Only problem there was there was a lot of Indian people (which is fine) BUT, when a good looking girl came to the pool, they ALL stopped what they were doing and stared at her for a good 15 minutes until she finally left. It was eery! Will someone tell these people that is very rude? I think maybe they don't know.

4/ The "Walking STreet" part felt like a huge tourist trap. More like Bangla road and I didn't feel the people working there were genuine Thai people like I felt 8-10 blocks away.

All in all it was a good experience and I like seeing new places. But, I'll stay here in Phuket with it's clean water and beaches with sand to lay on if you so choose.
I must say once I got back, it took me a few days to get the aggressiveness back into my driving which is a requirement here it seems.

Edited by fiddlehead

I'd leave Thailand before choosing pattaya as a destination to reside.

Sits at the mouth of the chao praya river. Bangkok's anus.

Water quality in the gulf is atrocious.

Cheap food and beer isn't a plus when the surroundings are slummy.

Phuket has it's negatives but it's paradise compared to what Pattaya has to offer.

• Like 2

If you are a beach person and enjoy water sports Phuket would definitely be the winner. But if you just want to go beach once in a while its easy to catch a boat to koh Lan and enjoy some decent beaches. For other things like shopping, food, entertainment etc both places has it all. Pattaya has the advantages of a functional transport network which makes it very convenient. Also, IMO the locals involved in the tourist industry are much friendlier than in Phuket.

• Like 1

Pattaya

-Life cheaper in general

-Much more to do during the day and night

- Closer to BKK

-Very expat/foreigner oriented

-Despite what many like to think, there is a lot more to Pattaya than Walking Street and soi 6

- Cheaper transportation

-Lots of English channels on local cable,for pretty cheap price

-Local tv news, newspapers in English

-Lots of shows and festivals being hosted

-Developing really fast and turning more cosmopolitan

-Yes nearby beaches are dirty, however how often does one really go to the beach for a swim?!

-Police responds reasonably fast in case of trouble

-Emergency services are actually pretty good.

-A number of hospitals, including Western Doctors

-Variety for shopping

Just a few things i could think of :)

Good post and great observations. Lots of changes have taken place over the past 20 years in Pattaya. As for the expats I've met, they are much the same as people back home. Some are genuinely nice and sober and some not. I choose who I associate with those wherever I am and I give a wide bearth to those I don't want to be around.

I like Phuket, but being an island, I felt like a captive species with limits boundaries by water and the designs of those in control. I vote with my Baht and go where I'm treated fairly and safely. Enjoy the ride, it's really a great adventure.

I think generally Pattaya attracts a lot more scummy types. Ok they are trying to clean that up now but still. They can put all the infrastructure in they want but the lack of natural beauty around Pattaya will always make it 2nd to Phuket.

In terms of things to do I only covered Sri racha tiger zoo and Nong noch gardens. What else is there?

• Like 1

I was last in Pattaya about 6 months ago.

Pattaya is definately cheaper than Phuket for the hospitality industry (food/beverage/accommodation) but particularly with alcohol in bars.

Transport is good. Walk out of any bar, hotel or restaurant and within 60 seconds there will be a baht bus for you to wave in for a ride. No negotiating or changing of the price at the desination - it's a 10 baht fare whether you do the whole loop, or just go 500 meters down the road. Locals, tourists and expats use the baht buses. It's good to see a drunk tourist get into a baht bus, instead of on a motor scooter.

There is a large choice of bars and restaurants and many countries are represented. One thing I noticed was there was a lot of live music in the bars in Pattaya. Many put on a small band at night.

Similarly, there is a wide range of accommodation from 5 star to 450 baht a night guest houses.

Pattaya Beach is terrible, but many tourist go down to the Bali Hai Pier in the morning and get a boat to a nearby island where the beaches are very nice. Koh Larn is a popular day trip from Pattaya.

Another thing I noticed is the expat population is aging. There are many elderly expats there. As Bill mentioned in another thread, Pattaya is more wheelchair friendly - many places have ramps for wheelchairs or for expats that walk with a frame or a walking stick.

As another member mentioned, Pattaya has everything and anything you may need. There is no reason to go to Bangkok. There are large supermarkets and shopping centres and the main Thai banks are all there.

There were many Russians there and they are well catered for. There were 3 or 4 Russian TV channels and many Russian signs and most restaurants had their menu translated into Russian. There were many Russian travel agents, probably working illegaly.

I did not experience any negative effects from critical infastructure whilst I was there. There were no blackouts or flooding. My hotel never ran out of water. Internet was reliable and fast. Sat TV was fine. I did not need any medical care whilst I was there, but was told by a friend that hospitals and clinics are good. I do not know about education for children.

I never felt taken advantage of whilst I was there. Late at night and half drunk, I asked for a price from a moto-taxi rider. I was expecting the whole haggling from the initial rip off price, but the guy just said "40 baht." I had a similar experience with lady drinks - I was never told some rip off price.

I found the locals more approachable in Pattaya, when compared to Phuket. I got chatting with a young Thai tradesman, he was a carpenter. When he saw me watching him work for a few minutes, he waved me over and showed me what he was working on. I do not tend to get this interaction much on Phuket, but as others have said, possibly that's because I live in Patong.

For many years I said I could never live in Pattaya, mainly due to the amount of sex trade there, but I now find that Pattaya seems to "function" better than Phuket, so, I can understand why some of my friends have moved there.

Tourists are parted from their money due to good service and an extensive variety, where as, on Phuket, tourists are parted fom their money through monopoly, collusion, scamming, extortion and overcharging.

I'll be on Phuket for a while yet. Phuket definately has more natural beauty than Pattaya and my "work arounds" are going well for me, it's just that you don't seem to need "work arounds" up in Pattaya like you do here. smile.png

Anyway, my friends are happy there and they have more disposable income to play with. I'll visit them again later in the year and no doubt they'll ask me the same question as they always do, that is, "Haven't you got out of there yet?" smile.pngsmile.png

Well written, and I enjoyed the comparison between Pattaya & Phuket. Thanks for sharing.

The part of Phuket which is most similar to the touristy part of Pattaya, is obviously Patong. I always had the impression people in Pattaya tend to be friendlier than people in Patong. One reason could be, is that almost all Thai people in Patong come from somewhere else, whilst many of those living and working in Pattaya are locals. Sure, not the bar hostesses/massage ladies of course. The unfriendliest place in Thailand I have ever been is the island of Koh Samet off Rayong, where all the people have come from somewhere else, originally it was uninhabited.

i very seriously considered moving to pattaya before i came here. we spent a lot of time there, looking at land, houses and areas. it has obvious practical benefits over phuket, 1 hour to bkk, cheap for almost everything compared to phuket, but i just could not make my self like the place. to me is just seems dirty, ugly, dry and dull, and i'm not just talking about walking street, we looked all the way down past satahip.

each to there own but i'd rather pay 50% more and live in phuket

• Like 1

i very seriously considered moving to pattaya before i came here. we spent a lot of time there, looking at land, houses and areas. it has obvious practical benefits over phuket, 1 hour to bkk, cheap for almost everything compared to phuket, but i just could not make my self like the place. to me is just seems dirty, ugly, dry and dull, and i'm not just talking about walking street, we looked all the way down past satahip.

each to there own but i'd rather pay 50% more and live in phuket

"each to there own but i'd rather pay 50% more and live in phuket" - fair call steve, but surely there is a point where you would feel you no longer are getting value for money for the quality of lifestyle on Phuket.

You would be happy to pay 50% more, but would you be happy to pay 100% more, or pay 150% more?

I can only see prices rise, quite sharply, on Phuket in the future, especially since the main tourist market are the Russian, Chinese and Indian package holiday makers.

Phuket doesn't seem to cater for retired expats, the way Pattaya does. It's as if they don't recognise the big cash input into the local economy the older expats residing here give to Phuket, 365 days a year.

If the cost of living on Phuket ends up like the cost transport on Phuket, then I will leave Phuket, just on principle alone, not financial reasons.

One thing I noticed about Pattaya is that it is very large. You really need about 3-4 weeks minimum of walking slow to properly comb all of Pattaya nightlife whereas Patong was much smaller. You can do patong in a couple of days. Patong/Chalong: long term stayers, you need to live among thais or make friends with the right kind of people to keep your living expenses down. Pattaya seemed much easier infrastructural to live long term and cheap on the basic utilities. Never did a visa run in Pattaya so I cannot comment on the cost/length of the trip. The visa run in Phuket can easily average 11-14 hours.

Now in Pats there the song thaws (baht bus) that cover just about every major destination. I only wish the labels were a bit clearer, as some go down the same road but may turn at different junctions. I kept asking how you can tell the difference (which ones turn left/right), and no one knows the exact science. are minivans that leave every 15-20 minutes to go to bangkok; about 2-3 hours depending on the time of day. Traffic on Patong....well without a motorbike you are A**-out of luck unless you hire a day taxi to do your shopping. Hats off to all you that own a car there.

The bar scene seems much more aggressive in Pats. But to be fair, I didn't do the bar scene much at first as I'm not into alcohol. It actually seemed like there were more GoGo / Bar and voyeur scenes in Pats (clear distinction between 'short time' and 'long time') and Patong had greater emphasis on friendly massage places, clubs, and longer term companionship. I think a large reason for the difference is the beaches and numerous tours available in Patong/Chalong area.

The beaches are an unfair comparison; Patong / Rawai is much cleaner. I think this made the atmosphere more laid back. Most living in phuket would love to see baht buses and/or shuttle buses connecting different parts of the island together efficiently. But once you get into a routine (as a single young guy), its hard not to like the place if you can avoid taking the tuk-tuk. I can equally understand with no-nonsense transportation why an older guy might prefer Pats.

There is a bus company that has a coach service directly from Phuket to Pattaya daily.

Edited by 4evermaat

i'm losing the will to live, do you think in the UK, people are saying is it Blackpool or Southend, what difference does it make, it's like wine, white or red, who gives a sh*t, your drinking it with root veg and a dead animal, but if i had to say, oh it's so difficult, um pattaya, no wait Phuket, but i like red wine!!!!, so which is the white wine and have the veg been cooked perfect to complement the exquisite protein, OK i've made my mind up "RED WINE"

i'm losing the will to live, do you think in the UK, people are saying is it Blackpool or Southend, what difference does it make, it's like wine, white or red, who gives a sh*t, your drinking it with root veg and a dead animal, but if i had to say, oh it's so difficult, um pattaya, no wait Phuket, but i like red wine!!!!, so which is the white wine and have the veg been cooked perfect to complement the exquisite protein, OK i've made my mind up "RED WINE"

If Pattaya and Phuket are like red wine and white wine - why is the bottle of wine in Pattaya 800 baht and the same bottle of wine in Phuket 1500 baht? :) :)

Seems that this discussion is between Pattaya and Patong, not Pattaya and Phuket.

Patong is just small, yet loud, part of the island. What prices are in Patong are quite different in Phuket town or other parts of the island. Same goes to general attitude of the people, which reflects in smiles etc.

classic thread. ( for the 1000000000000th time too)

Whats that saying about winning a race in the special olympics ? laugh.png

That the winner has overcome his or hers obstacles in life and really made the best out of it, even if life has not given the easiest start?

Or perhaps the saying goes, that the healthy person who refers to special olympics the way you did, is a complete and utter moron?

That the winner has overcome his or hers obstacles in life and really made the best out of it, even if life has not given the easiest start?

Or perhaps the saying goes, that the healthy person who refers to special olympics the way you did, is a complete and utter moron?

+ 1

Well said.

+ 1

Well said.

+2 :)

I been living on Phuket for app 3 years until about 2003 and then moved to Bangkok and then ended in Pattaya after app 3 years in the Big Mango.

I still comes to Phuket about 3-4 times a year due to family commitments and stay typically 4-5 days each time.

I don't like laying on the Beach be it anywhere in the world but I like very much the beach promenade in Pattaya for walking and taking in the scenery.

Every time I come to Phuket (and lived there) I love(d) riding around the Island on a scooter and taking in the scenery as it is very beautiful being up at the airport area North or down at Rawai in South, Phuket is pretty much beautiful everywhere you go.

Pattaya not so much but it got all the different restaurants to choose from, hell I go to a place downtown where I can get a good breakfast for 89 baht (2 fried eggs, 2 toasts w butter and marmalade, bacon or ham or sausage, beans, coffee or tea and a small glass of pine apple juice). Shopping in Pattaya are now very good with a very good selection of almost everything you might need.

Thai people in Pattaya are general friendlier, lots of people "immigrated" from Isaan to come work & live here (hookers-taxi drivers-hotel/restaurant staff and so on). Sure you can getting mugged here if you behave stupid, when I am drunk downtown at 0200 in the morning I take a MC taxi home to my house (app 120 baht - 5km away) and the taxi man protects me until I am home. I never go to Walking Street anymore, over prized & over rated.

I have a daughter in a private school on Phuket and my son attend a private school here in Pattaya, schools app 30-40% cheaper in Pattaya.

All in all I prefer Pattaya and will never move to Phuket again but that's mewink.png

So you vote for Pattaya then....??