Blood on the bus -- I suffer my first injury on a baht bus -- learn from my mistakes?

Jingthing

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did read the OPBasically, you are getting old and your balance and reaction times are degrading.

At your age you need to be more careful, falls can be dangerous, use the handholds.

That isn't what this is about. Its about how to deal with it in the event of injury accidents on baht buses which can happen to anyone at any age.

Of all the grumpy old men in Thailand, AnotherOneAmerican is the grumpiest.

Think your wrong. Those with eyes wide open should give and do give food for thought. thumbsup.gif

+1

I'm surprised there isn't trash talk about how I "lied" by not mentioning the fumbling for change thing until much later.

Are y'all sleeping?!?

Ah yes, i forgot about that.

Yes, I believe you are telling a pack of lies. After all, you didn't mention that you fumbled around for change until much later and that shows you have been lieing.

I don't know what went on in that baht bus and perhaps we will never know, but it can't be as you claimed.

I'm surprised there isn't trash talk about how I "lied" by not mentioning the fumbling for change thing until much later.

Are y'all sleeping?!?

Ah yes, i forgot about that.

Yes, I believe you are telling a pack of lies. After all, you didn't mention that you fumbled around for change until much later and that shows you have been lieing.

I don't know what went on in that baht bus and perhaps we will never know, but it can't be as you claimed.

Ah! Back to normality.clap2.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Perhaps it's time to invest in a ride of your own. With doors. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

When flying pig presidents convert to the Baha'i faith ...

"Flying pig presidents" and the "Baha'i faith". Princess, u do have a wild imagination. Probably goes with living on a keyboard.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's time to invest in a ride of your own. With doors. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

When flying pig presidents convert to the Baha'i faith ...

"Flying pig presidents" and the "Baha'i faith". Princess, u do have a wild imagination. Probably goes with living on a keyboard.

Princess? You flatter me. wub.png

More likely something to do with Timothy Leary.crazy.gif

click me

click mepost-37101-0-67910400-1375196567_thumb.gclick me

click me

post-37101-0-21192600-1375196813_thumb.g

Edited by Jingthing

Jing, hope now you see that bike is a safer option.

On a more serious note, to be honest in my opinion driver should have taken you to either nearest clinic or pharmacy and bought the medications.

If you were a Thai, driver would have given you 1000 baht, usually the amount given for small accidents

There is no point to dwell on what you should have done, because its not yet possible to go back in time, for the future just keep that in mind

Now just what is it you learnt from your mistakes Jingthing?

Not much yet.

I was HOPING for some intelligent and knowledgeable feedback related to the idea that locals would have pressed the driver for compensation and that I should have as well.

Of course in this case, there isn't much to be compensated FOR but there could have been and I seek the info for possible future events and also for other people who learn about who also may be in future baht bus related accidents.

We were once involved in an accident in Thailand (not in Pattaya and not involving a songthaew/baht bus). My friend was simply hit by a car on a pedestrian crossing (of course pedestrian crossings are worth nothing in Thailand but we didn't know that at the time). She ended up with a broken bone under the left knee (but she would have died if I hadn't pulled her at the last minute, when I noticed the car was not stopping), she spent four days in hospital and then six weeks with her leg in a cast...... that was one "great" holiday we had.

Now about compensation... The driver stopped and got out of the car, but then his first instinct was to get back into the car and drive away. I was in shock and extremely angry (my friend was sitting on the pavement, obviously in great pain), so I stood in front of his car and didn't let him drive away... Within minutes a policeman showed up, called an ambulance and started talking to the driver... Later at the hospital, the policeman showed up with the driver, they kept talking, they seemed to be negotiating... or perhaps that was my impression. The total hospital costs for the four days of treatment were 28.000 Baht, this was exactly 700$ at the time. The hospital expected our medical insurance to pay for everything, but we had no insurance whatsoever (there were good reasons for that, but this is a different topic). I insisted that the driver had to pay for everything, and quite amazingly, he DID. If I remember correctly, his car insurance paid 15.000 Baht and he claimed he had to borrow the rest of the money... The hospital kept my friend's passport until everything was paid for. I have always wondered what happened exactly... Does the Thai law/custom force the driver to pay? Or did he reach some deal with the police so as not to lose his driving licence? Or was he simply afraid of accumulating bad karma? Could he have gotten away without paying?...

Well... I don't know if this is the sort of feedback you were looking for, but one thing is certain: if you want any compensation, you have to get the police involved.

You did the right thing.

The driver would have fled the scene if you didnt stop him. Then you asked for full compensation, most tourists would not know what to do in a situation like this

But never travel abroad without an insurance .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

... Most of the drivers are jerks and everyday I write down the number of a baht bus to not ride again. And Im running out of buses.

I have to sadly agree with you.

In our seven-university mid-sized town, the most common vehicle to run red lights are the songthaews (upcountry cousins to the baht bus). They drive as if they are a complete law unto themselves without any regard whatsoever to other drivers or pedestrians. Usually these vehicles are packed with college & university students. I shudder thinking about the day one of these are T-boned when running a red light. sad.png

songthaews (upcountry cousins to the baht bus).

Actually they're called song thaews everywhere in Thailand and Laos as well if they have two benches. Baht bus is just easier to pronounce for some people with a speech impediment.

This is an expat forum and Pattaya is a large international tourist destination. Baht buses is a totally proper and correct name in Pattaya. To insult people who use such a normal naming convention in Pattaya is totally uncalled for. It has NOTHING to with not knowing the Thai word for the trucks in general, or an inability to pronounce the word. It's a matter of general communication in an INTERNATIONAL oriented tourist city.

I agree if you're having a conversation in Thai to a Thai person, that's different.

That is not the case on this forum and also with so many conversations between international non-Thai people in Pattaya.

I'd go even further.

If I had named this thread about Pattaya baht buses --

Blood on the song thaew

it would have been a ridiculous affectation.

Edited by Jingthing

Fortunately you are thrown to front and hit the cab. Imagine if you were thrown out the back and landed pop on car behind. Would have damaged windscreen & paint work of car.

I am told that in case of accidents one must take baht bus number, remember time & route and have immediate police report - so that compensation claim can be made. Phone up insurance company after you've got stitched up, bandaged or whatever. Then smile and say TIT.

I have never been inside baht bus but think there must be some place to hold onto in speeding bus.

As for speeding driver I know what he get from me - Not 10 baht but slap in the face and a kick in the bxxls.

100% correct. You have never been inside one.

Falling over comes with age. It will happen more often.

Accept it and move on.

That was super rude.

Why was that rude, you should see the cut on my knee from last month when I fell over.

6-8 stitches, mainly because I'm getting old.

Sorry to hear of your injury last month AOA but what does on event have to do with the other? JT is trying to offer helpful advice.

Many people walk away from car accidents thinking they didn't suffer any injuries only to find upon closer examination, there were some additional injuries that may not have been immediately apparent at the time, such as neck injuries or similar, which only show up later. I would like to suggest you have a proper examination by a good doctor explaining to him or her what happened before thinking the only injury you have sustained was a cut?

Sterling advice. Get to the doc, Jingthing!

Careful!!

You are actually saying you want Jinthing to get his head examined?

w00t.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

sorry JT, couldn't resist tongue.png

• 4 weeks later...

Blood on the song thaew

it would have been a ridiculous affectation.

Sounds perfectly normal in 98% of the rest of Thailand, reinforcing Pattaya's reputation as "another planet."

Incidentally, JT is a genius at concocting attention-getting thread titles. On my small smart phone I can just see the first part of the title--"Blood on the Baht Bus...." I immediately tuned in to what I thought was going to be a salacious murder-mystery. I can't mask my disappointment at discovering it was about a guy who bumped his head/butt/elbow/whatever. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1