Is there a preferred bank in the USA to use for money transfers?

I'm sure this has been covered many times and I apologize. I can't quite find the answer.

I come to Thailand for as long as 90 days about twice a year. I'm wondering if there is a preferred USA bank and/or preferred Visa card for transferring money to LOS? I know about Bangkok bank, but I have every other brand of bank in my USA hometown and would like to use one of those if possible.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I use Wells Fargo reoccurring intl wire transfer service. Transfer is always in my Kbank account the next morning, been that way for 3 years, Bank has $1,000 minimum and $25,000/day maximum. Effect the transfer via phone or Skype.Need to set up PIN and reoccurring wire transfer number prior to leaving US.

Lefty

I'm sure this has been covered many times and I apologize. I can't quite find the answer.

I come to Thailand for as long as 90 days about twice a year. I'm wondering if there is a preferred USA bank and/or preferred Visa card for transferring money to LOS? I know about Bangkok bank, but I have every other brand of bank in my USA hometown and would like to use one of those if possible.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I think you are confused about Bangkok Bank. Their New York Branch has nothing to do with your bank account in the US. It has to do with your Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand. You do not have a Bangkok Bank account in the US, you just use their EFTS (electronic funds transfer system) to deposit funds into your Thai Bangkok Bank account via any US bank account that allows EFTS

Which of course means that the best thing to do is insure that your US bank allows you to use their EFTS system for free

You don't tell us where in Thailand you stay but your best bet as far as getting cash from a foreign (US) debit card is to use an AEON machine so that you don't have to pay the 150-180 THB foreign bank card fee that most Thai Banks charge

I would suggest that you use the search function here and you can find all the information that you need

To start you out, see this thread about Best No Fee and Low Fee Bank Cards for Americans, here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/654140-best-no-fee-low-fee-bank-cards-for-americans-2013/

• Like 1

As with Lefty, I use Wells Fargo. Never had a glitch and funds arrive next day. If you have the funds, I believe you can have a combined asset value of $25K in Wells Fargo and as long as you maintain that balace, you get complimentary wires to anywhere. I think it is called a PMA account.

What ever bank you choose be sure to thoroughly check out the possible fees for international transfers. Some banks offer no cost to low cost ACH transfers, some offer the more pricey SWIFT transfers, and some do their best to convince you to let the bank convert to the foreign currency "before" sending--a sure way to loose several percent in exchange rate compared to the TT Buying Rate offered by Thai banks--always send in your home country currency and let the Thai bank do the conversion.