New KTM Duke 200 drops another 20k

mania

Thai forums getting a bit upset at
dealers dropping prices like Kawasaki did with the Z1000
Now KTM hits again
Forums posts translate to "not just Kawasaki betray customers"

This Duke is actually getting closer to where it should have always been priced.

Not there yet though wink.png

This bike started at 249k didn't it not long ago?

I have read that it sells for the equivalent of 60k baht in India

double it & charge 120-130 here & they would sell a bunch I bet

Edited by mania

One day i was at chiang mai grand canyon and there was a guy broke down on the side of the road with a Duke 200.

He said the bike just cut off and wouldnt start. But magically it started after i was talking to him, seems the cutoff switch has a loose contact or something. Was probably an isolated incident, but could also be misdiagnosed and receive bad word of mouth through the thai grapevine.

love the bike, but unfortunately i cant stand bikes with mirrors on the handlebars. :(

but for 125k ..I'd ride it

Thought it was released at a promo price of 200k for the first 200. Then up to 220k there after.

Perhaps they never sold more than 200 of them. :D

Given the amount of competition now, it's definitely a buyer's market.

How much and how hard to grey import from India ?!

Look at a site called "ride in asia dot net"

They are planning that & are from Thailand

Check the KTM section of the forum

interesting info there

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I was told that they sold only 3 in Phuket since the release!

I look at a few KTM Thailand FB pages ( Duke me KTM, KTN Chiang Mai etc )

& they seem to sell well. Of course at that price nothing like ninja's & cbr's

They also have that KTM Duke series races.

The first time I saw this bike almost a year ago it looked really tiny.

But a week or two ago I stopped in & sat on one & it is pretty comparable to a ninja 250 size.

Edited by mania

I was told that they sold only 3 in Phuket since the release!

I look at a few KTM Thailand FB pages ( Duke me KTM, KTN Chiang Mai etc )

& they seem to sell well. Of course at that price nothing like ninja's & cbr's

They also have that KTM Duke series races.

The first time I saw this bike almost a year ago it looked really tiny.

But a week or two ago I stopped in & sat on one & it is pretty comparable to a ninja 250 size.

I sat on one at the Thailand MX GP. A bit taller than the Ninja in terms of seat height but shorter wheelbase. That's how it felt anyway. Nice bikes, but no way I'd buy one ahead of a Z250 or Ninja 300 at the current prices.

I hope they only sold 3 in Phuket as rumoured, it might give them a reality check in terms of the Thai bike market. It's not 2006. Time to charge a fair(ish) price.

• Like 1

I sat on one at the Thailand MX GP. A bit taller than the Ninja in terms of seat height but shorter wheelbase. That's how it felt anyway. Nice bikes, but no way I'd buy one ahead of a Z250 or Ninja 300 at the current prices.

I hope they only sold 3 in Phuket as rumoured, it might give them a reality check in terms of the Thai bike market. It's not 2006. Time to charge a fair(ish) price.

I think you pegged it

slightly taller & shorter WB

Wheelbase on Ninja is 1405 & 1367 for the Duke

Seat height on Ninja is 785 & 800 for the Duke

You know I dont know if they were just greedy or trying to create exclusivity but they

went the wrong way I think

If they had kept the prices down I think it would have been a great seller

Prices in India & Cambodia too I think are crazy cheap

like 60k Baht for the 200 & 118k Baht for the 390

If they has just doubled that they would have sold lots I think.

Gotten a good foothold in Thailand & go from there.

It obviously has good quality/engineering but the value is skewed

Edited by mania

well i happened upon the ktm shop in bkk while riding up petchburi and i tell you they have some stunning bikes in there, but not priced for the faint of heart

smile.png You must have seen the RC8 & 1190 Adventure R both about 1.3 million baht each

Edited by mania

I think KTM's might be a hard sell to the local market.

They're extremely high quality but not really well known unless you're into bikes, if you're just buying a bike as a status symbol or for the current 'cool' factor (not saying all Thai's do this but a fair percentage do in my experience) then you'd probably go for a BMW or a Ducati. No-one wants to spend loads of money on a bike only to have the locals turn their nose up because they think it's some kind of weird Orange Chinese import, or the latest Gusto Rumba smile.png

They're extremely high quality but not really well known unless you're into bikes, if you're just buying a bike as a status symbol or for the current 'cool' factor (not saying all Thai's do this but a fair percentage do in my experience) then you'd probably go for a BMW or a Ducati. No-one wants to spend loads of money on a bike only to have the locals turn their nose up because they think it's some kind of weird Orange Chinese import, or the latest Gusto Rumba smile.png

I saw a Gusto Rumba out at Collingburnes auctions ages ago. I thought taking to it with an axe and baseball bat would improve it's looks immeasurably!

I didn't know it was a 200.

I don't think Thailand is the problem. Seen the odd Thai KTM club arrive in CM with all the latest and shiniest KTMs - that alone is proof it could do well here as an upscale brand. Big MX scene in Thailand as well and KTM rules for that.

The problem is KTM - they don't see SE Asia as a strategic market, they're betting on India instead. So they're selling 2x priced bikes at a time when bike prices drop, most significantly Ducati. A KTM more expensive than a Duc just doesn't make sense.

I like the KTM 200, it's very neat. But its best feature is the price and that's what we don't get over here.

well i happened upon the ktm shop in bkk while riding up petchburi and i tell you they have some stunning bikes in there, but not priced for the faint of heart

smile.png You must have seen the RC8 & 1190 Adventure R both about 1.3 million baht each

yes indeed the rc8 is a thing of beauty

• Like 1