Tourism firms lack knowledge of AEC: Thai lecturer

webfact

Tourism firms lack knowledge of AEC: lecturer
BAMRUNG AMNATCHAROENRIT
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- TOURISM BUSINESSES should study in deeper detail the opening of the Asean Economic Community in 2015 to maximise benefits for their operations, especially ways to cut costs and stimulate sales, Piti Sriseangnam, an economic lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, said yesterday.

Many know only that the AEC will allow them to invest in the 10-nation bloc - especially in the hotel business - by taking up to a controlling 70-per-cent stake in luxury hotels. Also, they would gain from the free flow of skilled labour to fill job vacancies.

In fact, they should make use of duty-free imports from the AEC, such as food and beef, as well as furniture and flowers used in the hospitality industry, instead of importing from some non-Asean zones like Australia, as a shortcut to save costs.

Also, they should look for ways to boost sales by joining forces with other businesses. In line with the country's positioning as a regional medical hub, hotels should work with hospitals to offer room service to patients during their treatment. Some of them have to stay here for a month to undergo artificial insemination, he said after a luncheon hosted by the Thailand Incentive and Convention Association

The tourism industry still faces barriers. Clearly, awareness of the AEC's opening is still low, especially among those working in the provinces. This group faces a high risk after the regional opening up, as the flow of skilled labourers with stronger English could threaten their jobs.

The Philippines has launched a nursing programme in Thai and Vietnamese. Students have requested to be taught in Thai in some programmes. At Yanhee Hospital, 30 Filipina nurses have downgraded their qualifications to work as assistant nurses.

The public and private sectors should work in harmony to overcome the obstacles and define a clearer direction, especially in terms of tourism branding and boosting competitiveness. The government should play a role as a catalyst in crafting a practical policy for the industry. Then, achieving the government's goal of Bt2.2 trillion in tourism revenue by 2015 will no longer be difficult.

Operators should also work and compete in a fair environment. In particular, hotels should not adopt a pricing strategy that hurts the industry as a whole. They already suffer enough from low margins and threats from online sales channels such as Agoda.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-01

of course they know nothing about the outside world,, it doesn't exist

-------------------

Don't be silly.

In any country, Thailand or the U.K. (taking just two examples) 80% of the population is quite happy with doing things the "normal" way.

Innovation and change is frowned upon.

Thailand has a culture and an education system that teaches conformity and blind following of the "normal" way.

The other 20% may be willing to try something new.

The AEC will be taken as a "problem" by the 80% because it causes them to make choices, not blindly conform to the standard "normal" way.

This is also just as true in my home country of the U.S.A.

It's a normal human tendency not to "rock the boat" just accept things as they are if it's "good enough".

Thai culture and the Thai education system just reinforces that tendency.

In Thailand, as in any country, there will be a few brave souls who will be willing to buck the system if they see a better way.

From my experience in Thailand, I will hazard a guess that person will be a Thai/-Chinese man or woman.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see the metamorphosis of the Thai hospitality industry with the influx of AEC workers. From my experience, the Filipinos are well educated, well trained and fluent in English. Learning Russian will be a challenge for them if they work in Pattaya, but they seem very adaptable and keen on doing the best job possible.

• Like 2

Interested to learn where in the AEC we can buy Australian quality beef at a cheaper price. I have tried some very acceptable Thai beef that with some tenderizing is quite edible but nowhere near the quality of overseas product.

of course they know nothing about the outside world,, it doesn't exist

No, incorrect. Thai's know the little Thai universe does not stop at Thailand's borders as they can freely cross into or see into the neighboring countries (Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Myanmar), which I'm sure everyone would agree is a good example of the world as a whole. And many fly to Dubai and Hong Kong regularly to see some Thai god named Thaksin.

• Like 1

You're going to have a sex realignment surgery? Yanhee is well known for that procedure.... Filipina nurses will sing happy birthday to you...

I'm looking forward to the Filipina "nurses". whistling.gif

Yeah, I'll let you play with my tits. :)

Not sure what he was trying to say.

But then again most academics prattle on about nothing.

The tourism firms are well aware of the coming changes and will be prepared as best they can for them. T.he only ones to be hurt by the changes is the Thai people who are unwilling to adapt and compete with other nationalities willing to work.

Speaking English will be a benefit also. As they will be able to take the jobs in directly dealing with the public. Not a necessity for the kitchen workers maids launderers groundskeepers etc. But it is not going to be as big an item as some would have us believe. There are many Chinese and Russians coming in to the country now and being able to speak those languages is becoming more important than it has been in the past.

As for industry the Thai people will have to compete with people willing to do a days work for a days pay and be committed to the job.

I see the AEC as being a major eye opener, and well as a serious blow to the Thai mind set of being "superior" (to WHAT? i've always asked), when they realize they can't compete with other members due to lack of proper education, and coming to terms with the fact that their "bought & paid for diloma" isn't worth the paper it's printed on to companies outside of Thailand, combined with a serious lack of English speaking skills.

Newly gradating Thai are going to find the potential job market for them has dwindled down to McDonalds or 7/11, or working as a waiter in some Thai restaurant, where English skills are not such a strict requirement, as most international companies will be looking for those with real diplomas and English skills.

The country as a whole is going to realize the rote memorization educational system, and college diplomas which are merely handed out to those who can afford them, as well as afford to buy the answers for test, when it bites them in the backside in an extremely painful economic way.

In some of the hotels they are already losing out to Filipina and Myanmar workers with stronger English skills in some areas. My housekeep from Myanmar speaks 4 languages: Her native Karen, the official Myanmar language, fluent Thai, and better English than the daughter of my neighbor who has a Master's degree in English from one of Thailands "most prestegious" universities.

AEC? For Thailand it's going to mean Asian Eyeopening Catastrophe.

You do realize that just speaking English does not guarantee people outside of Thailand will get all the jobs. Each country has provisions for the protection of its people by signing various MRA's which include things like equal qualifications, certification and being fluent in a countries respective language (thus the maid being fluent in Thai is a bigger bonus then being fluent in English). The free flow of skilled labour will not have as big of an impact on Thais (immediately) as some people might think. Ten or so years down the road, 2025, if Thailand has not upgraded and improved its education system, then big problems. Till then protectionism will help the locals.

You've got to laugh at these academics advising business people how to do business. If they had any clue they would be doing it themselves rather than poncing around the likes of Chula waiting for their pitiful salary.

Interested to learn where in the AEC we can buy Australian quality beef at a cheaper price. I have tried some very acceptable Thai beef that with some tenderizing is quite edible but nowhere near the quality of overseas product.

Under the TAAFTA you should see the reduction in import tariffs on Australian beef (among a host of other things) start to happen...

As to whether or not this results in a price reduction which is passed onto the consumer would be anyones guess...

You've got to laugh at these academics advising business people how to do business. If they had any clue they would be doing it themselves rather than poncing around the likes of Chula waiting for their pitiful salary.

Consultancy is a pretty good gig if 1) you know what you're talking about or 2) you can make people believe you know what you're talking about.

;)