Thailand and the Vietnam War

I was one of these "unpatriotic commie rats" who were on the side of HoChiMinh from the beginning of the Vietnam war.

I was in Thailand in 1969 and wanted to travel to Cambodia.

Stopped by US military who told me that Indochina is a no-go area for tourists now.

Then, decades later, I found a woman with a daughter whose roots were near there (Surin) This lady became my gf, she's an expert in history and (being born in 1977) had her personal experience with the post-war situation in Issan.

I joined an American journalist who investigated on ASU in 1978, and with some more friends, we did research on international comparative military politics: the impact of class consciousness in the military of developing countries.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ASU was a union for GIs after USA stopped the draft.

I come from Heidelberg, former site of the 7th US Army in Europe, that's where I know them from. They have their roots in the RITA movement (Resistance Inside The Army) around Jane Fonda when US sent her to Vietnam.

I hit Cambodia somewhere near Savannakhet, came from Khao Lak.

Yes, maybe they would have let me in through the airport.

But I never had any money for air travel.

In fact, I travelled the whole Asia 1 Highway from Istanbul to Singapore by road, train and boat.

• 1 month later...

My memories of Thailand. In Apr70 had orders for Plieku in the central highlands Vietnam. Heard it got overrun later on. Really didn't want to go to Nam, so volunteered for the USAF Honor

Guard in DC. Buried a lot of the GIs from the war. Lots of tears. Stayed there for 4 and a half years then they asked me where I wanted to go next. They said Taiwan or Thailand. I asked where was the pretty girls. Thailand was it. I arrived at U-Tapao on Sep 74. Worked out of the SSO. I remember the beach, outdoor theater, topless girls dancing at the NCO club. Went down to a place called newland, believe it was outside of Ban Chang for good times. Also remember the day Saigon fell, when all kinds of planes where landing at U-T. Took the bus to Pattaya and stayed at the Nipa Lodge. Really liked the mexican restaurant close by. Real quiet place with only one road in and the beach road. Went into BKK but don't remember that much. Stayed at U-T till Apr 76. Good memories and times.

I heard a story that when Bob Hope used to visit ''Nam'' to entertain the troops he would always insist on spending time in Bangkok on the way back where he was apparently a very naughty boy. A top quality swordsman by all accounts.

Years ago, I was in Bkk, in the Sukhumvit area, stopped in one of the soi...a Thai restaurant that served pizza and whose picture is on the wall with a Thai babe circa 1960...thanks for the memories..

However, it was an innocent photo ?

Good book available at Amazon by Craig Duerhing, THE LAIR OF THE RAVEN

I got it as a Kindle edition.

Mac

Just got it last week to read on the flight over.

Les T.

เลส ท.

If you haven't read "The Ravens" by Christopher Robbins yet, put it on your list.

One of the characters that features in many former Raven soliloquies is the Air Force certified eccentric, Captain Fred 'Magnet Ass' Platt, a dear friend of mine from Houston. His 2012 reunion trip in Thailand was a memorable event.

NanLaew, have a signed copy of Robbins book (good read) and I know Fred.

I'm a member of China Post 1, as is Thanyburi Mac, and Fred is our Post Commander.

Les T.
เลส ท.

Good book available at Amazon by Craig Duerhing, THE LAIR OF THE RAVEN

I got it as a Kindle edition.

Mac

Just got it last week to read on the flight over.

Les T.
เลส ท.

If you haven't read "The Ravens" by Christopher Robbins yet, put it on your list.

One of the characters that features in many former Raven soliloquies is the Air Force certified eccentric, Captain Fred 'Magnet Ass' Platt, a dear friend of mine from Houston. His 2012 reunion trip in Thailand was a memorable event.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone remember "Ramasun" on the highway about 16km south of Udon Thani, officially the 7th RRFS (Radio Research Field Station)

This complex basically was a self contained town.

The huge HF/DF radio detection antenna, was over 400m diameter and range of 7,000kms.

Nine were built world wide, this being the biggest in Asia.

The aerial photo shows the complex looking north towards Udon and the highway from Khon Kaen at left

and the main antenna top center.

Other photo was taken 1980 when I first visited what was left of the complex.

Also see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/FLR-9

and Bill Bogart's site (unfortunately no longer, but achived)

http://web.archive.org/web/20010215031206/http://www.topsecretsi.com/users/bogart/7THRRFSPICTURES.html

Funny you should post the HF/DF. A friend at work here in San Diego was just asking me about a similar "relic" here in the area. I happened to have worked on HF over the horizon radar things while I was active duty so I was somewhat familiar with it. Cool to see on in Thailand, but I don't go back that far.

Thanyaburimac, I have friends fathers here in Australia who served in Vietnam. 1 in particular has real trouble with Asians in general since the war particularly the Vietnamese here in Australia, let alone living in SE Asia. Now I assume you live in Thailand mac?I'm curious, What made you come to the decision to live there? I know Thailand isn't Vietnam and war affects everyone differently, but I would of thought living far away as possible from the place that would seem to remind you of the war and I know Thailand was an r and r location, to me it seems like the last place I would want to live besides Vietnam itself. Doesn't it remind you of the war?

In fact this question I'd like to put out there to anyone that is in the same situation...

G'day krisb. Yep, I'm one of those although I did not go to Thailand for R&R - I had a five month old daughter I was yet to meet back in Oz - so naturally that's where I spent my 5 brief days. I was in the medical corps (RAAMC). 1st Australian Field Hospital, Vung Tau. So, whilst I did not personally see action I witnessed far too much - a fair comparison for the unenlightened would be that brilliant series M.A.S.H. I have now been living in Thailand for near 5 years. Last year, ANZAC Day 2014, I returned (with a fellow mate and soldier of the time) to Vietnam. First visit since I departed there 3 Dec 1970. Mixed feelings but I certainly did not regret that visit. I, personally, have no problems with the Vietnamese (nor any other Asian). As to 'living as far away as possible', well, to me at least, distance or physical separation is totally irrelevant. Memories remain in your skull regardless. One lives with the memories, acceptance of what has passed and the inability to change that past, helps me. (I am on a military pension PTSD +++). I'm as happy as I possibly can expect to be here in Thailand - wonderful, caring (and understanding non-critical) wife, and extended family. I hope the above goes a little way way to answering your question. Cheers to all, keep good.........

Good to hear things like the above poster, for us younger guys to gain better understanding of events and war that occured when we were kids hearing about it from television or the things pieced together from guys that came back,

Who rarely will talk about anything

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
Interested in the activities in Laos? With portions on Vietnam?

Then do a Google for: the vietnam war its own self

Jim "Mule" Parker's new book will pop up, it's an updated combo of three of his books:

-- CODE NAME MULE, reissued as COVERT OPS

-- LAST MAN OUT

-- THE BATTLE FOR SKYLINE RIDGE

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, cerebo, never say "only served in xxxx," it all counts!! Some are just wetter and less sandy than others, thankfully.

FYI, just returned from a road trip to NE Laos, RONed at Long Tieng for the third time. Quiet these days. Sam Thong even quieter.

Mac

Yes, Lima 20 / Long Tieng is pretty quiet these days. A far cry from when it was the busiest airport in the world. And also the least known... :-) Pretty cool to be able to just ride in now.....

IMG_2026.JPG

And here is a look at Lima 85 in Laos. An amazing part of America's secret war in Laos. It was set up as a radar site to guide bombing runs into Hanoi. Later it was over run by the Vietnamese .

IMG_2008.JPG

Here is the turn off at Houyma on the ridge below Lima 85. The right fork goes towards Pathi, which is directly below where Lima 85 was. A hundred meters up this road is a army camp, where the soldiers will detain and question you for a few hours if you go that way. Do not ask how I know this........ So this area is still restricted, no one will say why. Am guessing either illegal logging, or drugs.

IMG_2005.JPG

Eyes

Long Tieng is LS-20A aka LS-30 aka LS-98, the latter two are actually in the Air America site book for Laos.

LS-20 is Sam Thong, about 45 minutes drive north of Long Tieng, it's the former USAID base for NE Laos. Not much remaining there, a concrete slab where the primary school is located and part of the fire place of the former Air America hostel.

Re LS-85, I went up that way with a couple of friends two years back in a 4WD rig, came in from Moung Son off to the west. Had heard about the local army guys so, like you, we didn't go to see them for a visit, just found a spot down the hill to the east for a photo op. FYI, Houay Ma is LS-107 in the site book.

Most of the old Lima Sites are indicated on this great job by Jim Henthorn of scanning the old 1:250,000 maps of the area: http://911gfx.nexus.net/sea-ao.html

Mac

Great work fellows. My hat is off to you, both for your past and present efforts. I was young by a year or two for that war, but later joined the USAF and worked in the engineering side of things, radars, missile defense, Unmanned aircraft, etc. I still contract in the defense industry and have visited Thailand many times. I read up on LIMA 85 on the internet. Kind of amazing it wasn't targeted more often. High hills are nice but sure stand out!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank theblether for starting this topic, it has been fantastic reading also a big thank you to the other members that have contributed. Memories.wai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say.. thanks to all the posters and those who gave their service. This site is brings back so many memories of that time...Keep the stories and photos comming..

Cheers Mates

• 3 weeks later...

Thailand's attitudes and actions towards the Vietnam War was best described by Thai Foreign Minister. The Vietnam War era was without question the most significant period in the history of relations between the United States and Thailand. Thais had a total of nearly 12000 combat troops in Vietnam, including the elite Queen's Cobras and the Black Panther Division of the Royal. There were several USAF bases in Thailand during the war in Southeast Asia.

Best Pizza in NJ

Plus, the Thai had about 20,000 "volunteers" fighting in Laos, too, 1971-'74. They're now represented by an organization in Bangkok, the UWA 333, Unknown Warriors Association 333.

Mac

Do they have a meeting place? Are they interested, in your opinion, in meeting non-Thai-speaking farang from that period? Not critical for me, just interested to hear other peoples views in my old(er) age. Cheers.....

Norm

About the only time they get together is an annual event where perhaps 500 guys show up, and, like other Vietnam era groups as time passes on, the numbers are getting smaller.

Mac

Hi Mac, alas, sounds familiar. Although I enjoy my adopted country there is one day of the year I need to be elsewhere. That day is ANZAC Day. Of course all Aussies and Kiwis acknowledge it is a special day not only to commemorate the fallen from military conflicts but to get together with other vets. Wouldn't be a handful here in my location - that I know, anyway. This past ANZAC Day, although we had a local small, brief service, it was unsatisfactory for me. Last year, along with a mate I served with, we returned to Vietnam (after 44 yrs) for ANZAC Day. Bloody fabulous. Went to River Kwai a couple of years ago - also very good. Have to think about next year

Anyway all the best......Tassie

I heard a story that when Bob Hope used to visit ''Nam'' to entertain the troops he would always insist on spending time in Bangkok on the way back where he was apparently a very naughty boy. A top quality swordsman by all accounts.

Years ago, I was in Bkk, in the Sukhumvit area, stopped in one of the soi...a Thai restaurant that served pizza and whose picture is on the wall with a Thai babe circa 1960...thanks for the memories..

However, it was an innocent photo ?

Mama-Noi2.jpg

This one? Its at Check Inn in Nana

Wow!! Good find, thanks.

Wonder where she is these days.

Mac

Mama Noi still occasionally works at Check Inn, 100 yards from Nana station, go visit. She will bring her book out with pics of her and Bing. I don't think she ever got over him. If you go on to Stickman Weekly he's written quite a long piece about her

Archived