Thailand and the Vietnam War

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Green, do a Google for: "green jackets" malaya

There's a whole lot of hits there.

Also related to SHARPE'S RIFLES?? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108108/

I downloaded all 14 TV shows, good stuff. Have read many in the book series, too.

Mac

Hi Mac,

Good to talk to you. Yes we were the 95th rifles,and later the 3 green jackets the rifle brigade. Just for info they have won more VCs than any other unit in the british army. Bernard Cornwell created Richard Sharp . A long time ago . Sean Bean has been to our reunions.

Thanks for the interest i shall buy you a beer sometime

John

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking into the Son Tay raid on the internet since an old friend

of mine who has passed away was one of the participants and I only

found out about his passing during a phoncon with another friend

yesterday evening. Anyway here's a couple links that I found

interesting and since LOS was the staging area I thought it relevant

to post some pretty good info. The raid was not successful.

The links are below...

http://www.sontayraider.com/

http://www.sontayraider.com/history.htm

You can fly on a combat-scarred Vietnam icon

By Brad Lendon, CNN
May 17, 2014 -- Updated 0123 GMT (0923 HKT)
140513134040-01-air-show-restricted-horiLadon Briggs, who flew Army Black Hawk helicopters in Iraq, prepares to pilot a Huey from the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation hangar in at the Henry County Airport in Hampton, Georgia, to an air show in Columbus, Georgia on Friday, March 14. The foundation is headquartered in Hampton, where they restore retired Army helicopters in an effort to educate people about the aircraft and the people who flew them, particularly in the Vietnam War.
HIDE CAPTION
Preserving a Vietnam icon
<<
<
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The Army Aviation Heritage Foundation restores Vietnam-era helicopters
  • Huey 354 bears scar of combat in Vietnam
  • Copters offer rides at airshows around the country

Columbus, Georgia (CNN) -- The Huey helicopter came in from the west, the "pop, pop, pop" of its blades announcing its arrival. It made a sharp right-hand turn and flared to a landing in the grassy area. The ragtag troop of 10 passengers awaiting its arrival looked far from Army issue, dressed in Aloha shirts, T-shirts, blue jeans, shorts and ball caps. They ducked their heads beneath the blades of the spinning rotor as they made their way to the copter from a protected area off to its front.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/16/travel/historic-army-helicopters/index.html?hpt=us_t5

I'm reading a fascinating book on Jim Thompson (of Thai silk fame) ("The Ideal Man: Jim Thompson and the American Way of War") and was interested to learn that in the early '50s he was using his contacts from his OSS days to arrange sales of arms left over from WW II (including US weapons) to the Viet Minh. As a result of this he was investigated by the FBI during the McCarthy era. Another Thai connection to the war (or wars as it was the French war at this time)

U.S. Coast Guard, too. They ran the LORAN station at Udorn.

Mac

During the night of the Tet Offensive in Vietnam, 1968, all augmentees at Udorn were assigned to guard various installations on base through out the next couple of nites. I was assigned to guard that LORAN station along with two other airmen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, good topic.

Here's a photo I took of Camp Friendship at Korat before the <deleted>' USAF moved in and occupied all that vacant land between CF and the runway. The entire US military airpower at Korat then was two Army L-20 Beavers, then the F-105s moved in and things got noisy and real busy.I was in Korat US Field hospital in march 64 , there was still the odd dayglo kiwi sign knocking about the hangars ,but there were plenty of planes about, phantoms and transport, if I had seen a beaver I would have thought I was back in wallopclap2.gif

Mac

This is another bit of "So You Think You Know About the War in Indo China/Vietnam."

I doubt that many of you know of the "Montenyard Uprising" in '64 in Vietnam. I read an article today that led me to do a bit more Googleing and found this website.

One of my fellow medics in Okinawa was serving on the "A"-Team at one of those camps that had an uprising. The incident he related was bone-chilling, but I believed him.

He told of the team being disarmed by the tribesmen and separated from the rest of the camp personnel. Then the Montenyards disarmed and separated the Vietnamese SF Team. After a time, the Commander of the 'Yards told a group to, ".. take them down to the woods and kill them."

The guy told me about that terror stricken march that ended abruptly when another shouted command told them he meant the Vietnamese Team, not the US Team.

Then they marched the Vietnamese team to the woods and killed them.

This is a brief summary of the uprising.

"September 20, 1964, the FULRO rose up and a rebellion took place in U.S. Special Forces camps in Buon Sapa, Mega and Quang Duc Provinces, under Y Tlur Eban who was the acting Montagnard commander. As a result, the FULRO occupied Buon Ama Thuot radio station. After the uprising, Y Tlur Eban transported Y Bham Enuol and family to the FULRO Headquarters Camp Roland inside Cambodia, near Mondulkiri for safety and a meeting with Les Kosem and Y Dhong Adrong."

Another great link that talks about the Buan Enao experiment/project.

Many of us who were actually in laos,thailand or Cambodia in the period between 63 and 68,have stories or personally experienced moments or actions mentioned throughout this thread, but as the years go by memories fade,and then along come the experts ,who know how to use google, to explain to us wrinklies what really happened,I was really surprised a few years ago in Brisbane while watching a documentary on Australian involvement in Thailand and Laos,to hear an exraamc medic describing the unforgetful mental anguish he has suffered, after experiencing the brutal shooting death of a young british sapper in November 1969 in north east Thailand,I was really surprised, he knew details that even I did not know, especially apart from the gunmen I was the only person there, experiences like this are pretty common, how often in pubs and clubs(not to mention bars in pattaya and patong) do we come across the know it alls and RSL commitee members, who regail one and all with their war stories and experiences,but never being able to remember a unit name or an Rsm, maybe I have just got my victor meldrew hat on,but some of these herberts really do get on my wick!!

Nignoy, just so we're clear .. are you saying I fabricated some of the information in post #440?

I believe that he took offence to your opening line "This is another bit of "So You Think You Know About the War in Indo China/Vietnam.""

With this comment seems you are saying the posters on here are not real, which is exactly the way I understood it.

Maybe you should think more about your wording before you post, this could be considered very offensive to guys that served in Vietnam and post here.

To all the men that served and posted here, thank you I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

I was born in the mid 60's so I never served, I spent a year working in Vietnam in Saigon about 9-10 years ago to open and get a company up and running for a

group of US investors. I was really surprised how much the Vietnamese really like/love anything USA. Vietnam is ok, but I still prefer Thailand over any place in Southeast Asia.

Anyway again, Thank you gentlemen!!

Nignoy, just so we're clear .. are you saying I fabricated some of the information in post #440?

I believe that he took offence to your opening line "This is another bit of "So You Think You Know About the War in Indo China/Vietnam.""

With this comment seems you are saying the posters on here are not real, which is exactly the way I understood it.

Maybe you should think more about your wording before you post, this could be considered very offensive to guys that served in Vietnam and post here.

To all the men that served and posted here, thank you I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

I was born in the mid 60's so I never served, I spent a year working in Vietnam in Saigon about 9-10 years ago to open and get a company up and running for a

group of US investors. I was really surprised how much the Vietnamese really like/love anything USA. Vietnam is ok, but I still prefer Thailand over any place in Southeast Asia.

Fair enough .. I guess. Except, how much of this thread have you actually read?

It's a rhetorical statement. FWIW, every time I sit down with a group of 'Nam era vets I often find myself saying, "Wow, I never knew that?"

"With this comment seems you are saying the posters on here are not real, which is exactly the way I understood it."

Interesting spin on your part.

Indo China/Vietnam was a long - long - involvement. Or did you miss the "Indo China"

Also, how many people knew about the Montenyard uprising? Which is what the post was about

PS, I'm one of the guys who served in Vietnam ci '64 - '65.

Fair enough .. I guess. Except, how much of this thread have you actually read?

It's a rhetorical statement. FWIW, every time I sit down with a group of 'Nam era vets I often find myself saying, "Wow, I never knew that?"

"With this comment seems you are saying the posters on here are not real, which is exactly the way I understood it."

Interesting spin on your part.

Indo China/Vietnam was a long - long - involvement. Or did you miss the "Indo China"

Also, how many people knew about the Montenyard uprising? Which is what the post was about

PS, I'm one of the guys who served in Vietnam ci '64 - '65.

Iwas a bit 2 young for Indochina ,was in different war zone,we were stationed in Templar lines Kahawa in Kenya where my father was serving with The Inniskillen Fusiliers, who were being entertained at that time by the Mau Mau, by the time I reached Thailand in 1963 ,I had already served in The Radfan,borneo and of course the malay uprising in Singapore, I heard a lot about the Montagnard uprising firsthand from the father of my first wife who incidently was a Montagnard, who living in Ban Khud kokhan at the time, but that's another story,

'64-'65 I was at Camp Friendship, Korat, 44th Engr Gp. '66 on, IVS & USAID/Laos to the closeout.

Interesting times.

And, a real story must start out with something like, "No, sh*t, I was there, and ....."

Mac I sometimes think I was thereneus.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptR4K2not3.gif

Huge thank you for this thread.I lived a few km from Utapao for a couple of years and never knew it's history. I've huge respect for those who served in Vietnam and appreciate your stories (I only served in Afghanistan so not applicable to this thread)..

"I have friends fathers here in Australia who served in Vietnam. 1 in particular has real trouble with Asians in general since the war particularly the Vietnamese here in Australia, let alone living in SE Asia. Now I assume you live in Thailand mac?I'm curious, What made you come to the decision to live there? I know Thailand isn't Vietnam and war affects everyone differently, but I would of thought living far away as possible from the place that would seem to remind you of the war and I know Thailand was an r and r location, to me it seems like the last place I would want to live besides Vietnam itself. Doesn't it remind you of the war?

In fact this question I'd like to put out there to anyone that is in the same situation..."

I guess I'm in a pretty similar situation .. so ..

It is probably an individual thing. For a few years after I went back to civilian life I wanted nothing to do with any Vietnamese. But time has a way of putting past prejudices in perspective. In the late '70's I had a small metal fabrication shop in Orange County, California. Probably more Vietnamese per capita live in OC (Little Saigon) than anywhere outside Vietnam. I hired a number of Vietnamese. They made good workers.

At the end of the day, you realize that most wars start with politicians lying to their citizenry. "Regular" people like me and like most Vietnamese were just pawns in their great chess match. Some pawns did heroic things, some merely survived, far too many died.

No reason I can think of to keep hating the Vietnamese.

Lying politicians -- that's a different story.

Good post. Yes, the war in Vietnam was nothing more than silly, churlish, immature, ill advised politics. What was the point? Slow down the advance of communism? Did the roaches in Washington, such as McNamara ever really think that war was winnable? Did they really think the US was capable of waging a successful jungle warfare campaign? Was it worth 56,000 American, and over 2,000,000 Vietnamese lives? I would advocate that in the future, no war can be waged, unless the president himself is a war vet, and he has at least one child he or she is willing to commit to the war effort. Do not declare war, unless it is so meaningful, you are willing to lose family members over it.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Huge thank you for this thread.I lived a few km from Utapao for a couple of years and never knew it's history. I've huge respect for those who served in Vietnam and appreciate your stories (I only served in Afghanistan so not applicable to this thread)..Anyone who has served in a theatre of war, has the right to write their opinion in this threadwai.gif

• 3 weeks later...

When I was up in Phibun Mangsahan near Ubon visiting the Girlfriends Aunts and Uncles they told me there had been some sort of US military area in the town during the Vietnam War. I couldn't get anything more specific out of them and searching online have found nothing. Anybody know if there's any truth to this ?

Pete

Don't really remember anything in Phibun but there was lots of activity at the Ubon RTAFB, an Ozzie F-86 unit, and several USAF units, including F-4s, AC-130s, and others.

Right across the Mekong from Kong Chiam aka Ban Dan, there was a CIA funded hospital primarily for the Lao military use, the SGU types. It was handy in the old days as the Kong Chiam people could just go over to the Lao side for medical care rather than a long hard ride in to Ubon on muddy dirt roads.

Then to your south, Buntharik district, there was a CIA funded training camp for military from Laos, but also from Cambodia. Forget the name right now, would have to look it up.

Mac

Pete

Don't really remember anything in Phibun but there was lots of activity at the Ubon RTAFB, an Ozzie F-86 unit, and several USAF units, including F-4s, AC-130s, and others.

Right across the Mekong from Kong Chiam aka Ban Dan, there was a CIA funded hospital primarily for the Lao military use, the SGU types. It was handy in the old days as the Kong Chiam people could just go over to the Lao side for medical care rather than a long hard ride in to Ubon on muddy dirt roads.

Then to your south, Buntharik district, there was a CIA funded training camp for military from Laos, but also from Cambodia. Forget the name right now, would have to look it up.

Mac

But don't forget us mac British ,Australian and NZ troops stationed between Ubon and Muk from late 63 to 68, there was a USAF radar unit on Phu mhu near Mukwai.gif

Archived