The beer lao verdict

jbrain

The beer lao verdict  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well put me against the wall and shoot me but I happen to LIKE beer Chang just fine. Sorry if my unsophisticated palet doesn't measure up to the exquisite taste of so many beer experts.

Apparently there are a few million other beer drinkers who also like Beer Chang as it is the NUMBER ONE selling beer in all Thailand. Yes it is a few baht cheaper SOMETIMES but given a choice between sing or archer or tiger or heiniken I would take Chang every time.

Not saying that it compares to a fine German type beer but all in all I find it to be a good beer for MY taste.

To each his own but the condescending BS of some towards Chang gets old. If you don't like it then don't drink it. I have always thought that Heinken was an AWFUL beer but I know many would disagree and love the stuff. More power to them.

As for Beer Lao I agree that it tastes best sitting in Laos watching a sunset.

It's number one because it's the cheapest not because it's good and people like it. It's mostly poor people who drink it.

It's a nasty tasting bear, pointlessly strong, inconsistent and gives terrible Changovers.

It's the equivalent to drinking Tennants Super or Special Brew in the UK.

like it all you want but there's no doubt it's basically tramp juice.

To each his own but the condescending BS of some towards Chang gets old. If you don't like it then don't drink it.

Did you personally survey the millions of people who drink beer Chang to determine that people don't like it but only drink it due to price? BS.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried the pale and the dark and both were a serious let-down after all the hype from people.

Give me a Chang any day.

After that a Leo.

As fot the supposedly entry level "respectable" beer, Singha, that also tastes like weak gassy sh!t.

Tiger is OK but now we go off the charts....

Well put me against the wall and shoot me but I happen to LIKE beer Chang just fine. Sorry if my unsophisticated palet doesn't measure up to the exquisite taste of so many beer experts.

Apparently there are a few million other beer drinkers who also like Beer Chang as it is the NUMBER ONE selling beer in all Thailand. Yes it is a few baht cheaper SOMETIMES but given a choice between sing or archer or tiger or heiniken I would take Chang every time.

Not saying that it compares to a fine German type beer but all in all I find it to be a good beer for MY taste.

To each his own but the condescending BS of some towards Chang gets old. If you don't like it then don't drink it. I have always thought that Heinken was an AWFUL beer but I know many would disagree and love the stuff. More power to them.

It's number one because it's the cheapest not because it's good and people like it. It's mostly poor people who drink it.

It's a nasty tasting bear, pointlessly strong, inconsistent and gives terrible Changovers.

To each his own but the condescending BS of some towards Chang gets old. If you don't like it then don't drink it.

Did you personally survey the millions of people who drink beer Chang to determine that people don't like it but only drink it due to price? BS.

If you want to know, setup a small party in Isaan with both Chang and Heineken available for free and watch which one disappears the first .

Been there and have the t-shirt.smile.png

If you want to know, setup a small party in Isaan with both Chang and Heineken available for free and watch which one disappears the first .

these would be the effects of marketing and price - rather put 2 unmarked barrels on draft and look which one goes empty faster....

I have always thought that Heinken was an AWFUL beer but I know many would disagree and love the stuff. More power to them.

Mate isaan villagers are not the kind of people to be judges at international beer judging competitions ,when drunk enough some of these people would even drink paint thinner and maybe get a a t shirt from Dupond.And it is international beer drinking day today so cheers and i will not be drinking paint thinner thats for sure.5555555 Edited by Kudel

I have always thought that Heinken was an AWFUL beer but I know many would disagree and love the stuff. More power to them.

I never said that Heineken is a better beer, my point was to make clear that those millions of Isaan people buy Chang because it is the cheapest and they can't afford Heineken thumbsup.gif

Its overpriced, at Makro you can buy Carlsberg for B 50 per box less than Lao (B849 vs B 899). Drink my Carlsberg or Tiger (Crystal).

Tiger crystal is also my favorite to be honest, I only tried Beer Lao because of the praising comments on this forum and ofcourse I thought for a premium I would get a better beer.

I prefer dark beers over lagers by the way, but don't feel attracted to pay 100-200 Baht to consume a beer at home.

I don't say Beer Lao dark is a bad beer, but it was kind of a disapointment for me.

Edited by jbrain

Perhaps the poll should have a null vote button for people who drink Chang, Leo or Archer - on the basis they've forgotten or perhaps have never known what beer is.

You would have a valid point... if the readily available alternatives were any better. Leo might not be a fantastic beer, but I'll still take it over Heineken or Tiger.

Couldn't agree more. To my taste Leo is the better of the lot.

There's only one really decent lager beer in South East Asia - Cambodia's ABC stout. All the rest (Tiger? do me a favour) are industrial big brewery rubbish. I'll drink them (Leo and Laos light and dark) because a beer is better than no beer, but my alcohol consumption is way down compared to what I would drink in the UK, Belgium or Germany - probably a good thing then!

Every night I pray for craft beer in Thailand (and unfortunately I cant get to Suk soi 11 tomorrow).

CAMRA member - but no beard no paunch no woolly socks.

First tried Beer Lao in Vientiane back in 2000. It's my beer of preference these days, though it sometimes can be hard to find here in CONUS. For a while earlier this year, there were some supply problems, but seems to be available now.

As far as taste, it is better in Laos, but then the ambiance really helps. The import here goes down fine as well.

One beer that had a short life here was Nakhon, saw some adverts, drank a couple at a restaurant and then they disappeared. Not a bad brew either.

Tried all beers here in small and large quantities. Now I drink Hieneken. The reason it does not make me ill bloated or give me a puggled hangover.. Taste ok well no larger is ok but its cold and goes down when we are having a chat. Could not believe the difference that it makes to my next day.

IMO

The light is definitely not worth it. It isn't that much different from Thai domestic but the dark is a different story. The dark is much better than Thai domestic but I'm not so sure it's worth the price. I drink it on special occasions because of the price.

What ever happen the "free market" we were suppose to get for beers that was mentioned years ago? That was suppose to bring down the price of beer, but after announcing this "free market" the prices for Thai beer went up.

It's a great-tasting, proper beer, provided you drink a fresh batch. I drink it every time I travel to Laos, which is about twice a year, and the Beer Lao in Vientiane is fresh from the brewery.

I always check the expiry dates on everything I buy. When drinking Beer Lao in Thailand, check the date on the bottle. The ones in my fridge were brewed on 26 June, so still reasonably fresh.

Most of the Beer Lao sold here (in bars via a few distributors) has a manufacturing date of three to six months ago, and of course it has been transported and warehoused without any sort of climate control, so it tastes a bit off unless consumed frozen. In Lao, with a recent manufacturing date Beer Lao is pretty good.

By far the most important criteria is how old the beer is. Look for manufacturing dates within the last two weeks, hence high turnover retail outlets, like a 7/11, will have the freshest product. IMO, as a long-time home/craft brewer, Chang Export with a short date is the best you can do here re: mass-availability lagers.

Lao dark makes a change, but it's no match for Old Speckled Hen available at the Stags Head Soi Metro - downside is that OSP costs 180 baht a pint - or is it 140, early doors?

Lagers in Thailand - ugh - hate all of them...

OSH is a fine brew, taking in to consideration the comments about fresh beer kept well how is the imported beer kept that can make it still taste ok has it got travel pills in it.

Not tried Lao yet will do on return to Thailand is it a hoppy flavour (stout) ?

I drank Singha for many years, it was the first beer I tasted in Thailand and I continued. When we decided to build a house in lower Issan the local shop only stocked Chang as Singha was 'too expensive' for locals. So for a few days I drank Chang as the shop owner ordered Singha for me. After the Singha arrived I preferred the Chang and it has been that way ever since. I ask for Chang even in 5 star hotels, much to the amusement of my wife, I just prefer it. I do like dark beer and enjoy some at a restaurant we visit but imported and very expensive. I never knew Leo brewed a dark beer I have never seen or noticed it before but I certainly will now. I also use the dark beer for my Steak and Stout Pie so will now use Leo if I can get it.Thanks for the information guys.

• Like 1

I never knew Leo brewed a dark beer I have never seen or noticed it before but I certainly will now. I also use the dark beer for my Steak and Stout Pie so will now use Leo if I can get it.Thanks for the information guys.

I suggest you pass by Top Charoen first, because it says in the thread title Beer LAO instead of LEO. biggrin.png

• Like 1

How much do you guys pay over there for beer lao?In Belgium i pay 12 euro for six 330ml bottles in our local Thai shop and they always have them on stock.I bought some last week and it says on the bottle 5%alcohol but no bottling date but best before 14 jan 2014.

Edited by Kudel

I never knew Leo brewed a dark beer I have never seen or noticed it before but I certainly will now. I also use the dark beer for my Steak and Stout Pie so will now use Leo if I can get it.Thanks for the information guys.

I suggest you pass by Top Charoen first, because it says in the thread title Beer LAO instead of LEO. biggrin.png

Ha! Ha! Good one. Will new glasses cure dyslexia and stupidity, if so I will go there first. And no I have not been drinking Chang or anything else today or smoking or taking any funny stuff. I will now look for LAO. :-)

Not tried Lao yet will do on return to Thailand is it a hoppy flavour (stout) ?

Beer Lao Lager might be classified as a European Pale Style Lager.

Beer Lao Dark is a Munich style (dark-er) Dunkel, a bit like Negra Modelo or San Miguel Dark Lager.

None of these are at all like stouts or ales (like OSH): different malt blends, different yeast (bottom fermenting), different fermentation temperatures, different hops. Stouts use top-fermenting (ale) yeasts.

• Like 1

De gustibus non est disputandum. So all comments regarding the satisfaction from any beer are a waste of time. However, the following quote is a display of ignorance.

"I know every beer produced in Thailand is below standard since it is a thrird world country and doesn't have local access to the ingredients needed to brew quality beer."

and below what "standard" is a question that makes the sentence ever more stupid.

De gustibus non est disputandum. So all comments regarding the satisfaction from any beer are a waste of time. However, the following quote is a display of ignorance.

"I know every beer produced in Thailand is below standard since it is a thrird world country and doesn't have local access to the ingredients needed to brew quality beer."

and below what "standard" is a question that makes the sentence ever more stupid.

Well, If you hadn't breached the forum rules by taking my comment out of the context, only to get a chance to make an interesting comment, then it would be clear that the ignorance is on your side.

Below is the comment as it was posted and should be read.

I know every beer produced in Thailand is below standard since it is a thrird world country and doesn't have local access to the ingredients needed to brew quality beer.

So imported beers are the way to go, even if they are brewed in other third world countries in the same region, at least that is what many members on this forum proclaim.