Kata/Karon bar updates?

BWM

Hi all. Apoligies for what is most likely not going to be a new topic but bear with me.

I've been living in Rawai for the past 3 months and for a change of scenery I made the move to Kata a couple of days ago. We all know what was a good bar last week might be dead or closed this week so I'm after some fresh tips and hence the post.

I should say what kind of bar I'm after - I quite liked Howzat bar in Rawai. Comfortable seats, fair drink prices and at one time there was 7 or 8 nice girls working who wern't pushy at all. Although recently most of the girls left and the owner is looking for more staff. I kind of like to have a local where I can quietly suck piss, have a chat with someone at times and look at some nice girls.

Today I did a bit of a ride around and found Kenny's Aussie bar? In Karon. It was ok but not much happening.

Google led me to look for Dukes Sports bar in Kata and I dropped in there for a beer or 2. Very small and narrow and not much in the way of eye candy. Fair drink prices though and the owner seems like a likable chap so I will drop back in.

So could anyone reccomend a few other bars worth checking out?

The last few evenings I have been in the girly bar strip up the north end of Kata beach. Quite a bit of eye candy in there but of course with drink prices to match.

Cheers.

When I lived in Phuket I liked Mikes Sports Bar. Mark the owner is a super nice guy and tries to keep the customers happy. There is food nearby that can be purchased and brought into the bar to eat. This is a clean well respected and managed place and not a floozy bar. Just a good place to meet good people.

• Like 1

Solution Bar-Kata New Road next to the outdoor restaurant.Sports/Lounge bar,pool table,new HD LED TV's,and great music,usually a few stunners in there aswell,always a fair few people in there whenever i pass,but I think it's closed by 12.30am most nights now as it's low season.

PST.

When I lived in Phuket I liked Mikes Sports Bar. Mark the owner is a super nice guy and tries to keep the customers happy. There is food nearby that can be purchased and brought into the bar to eat. This is a clean well respected and managed place and not a floozy bar. Just a good place to meet good people.

Hi Don, hope you are well. Pretty sure you mean Dukes, right? We caught the Super Bowl there one morning a couple years back. Old boy OP here says he stopped in, lacking in females, it is a nice sports bar and Mark a good guy but can get pretty boring .... Edited by LivinginKata
off topic remark removed

Solution Bar-Kata New Road next to the outdoor restaurant.Sports/Lounge bar,pool table,new HD LED TV's,and great music,usually a few stunners in there aswell,always a fair few people in there whenever i pass,but I think it's closed by 12.30am most nights now as it's low season.

PST.

Thanks mate. I'll check it out but not really familiar with the area. Kata new road I don't know.

Hi Don, hope you are well. Pretty sure you mean Dukes, right? We caught the Super Bowl there one morning a couple years back. Old boy OP here says he stopped in, lacking in females, it is a nice sports bar and Mark a good guy but can get pretty boring ....

Yep I have been there. A lot smaller than I was expecting. Mark is a nice guy so will go again but yep a tad boring if Im honest.

PST.

Thanks mate. I'll check it out but not really familiar with the area. Kata new road I don't know.

New Road is the road between the Kata Market on Patak Road and Club Med, and PST pushes this Solution Bar every chance he gets. It would be refreshing to get a second opinion biggrin.png

I used to drink in that neck of the woods, a bar had a sign which said "LIQUOR IN THE FRONT, POKER IN THE BACK"

Have seen a bar in Pattaya with a similar sign but not here.

Remember where?

Hi Don, hope you are well. Pretty sure you mean Dukes, right? We caught the Super Bowl there one morning a couple years back. Old boy OP here says he stopped in, lacking in females, it is a nice sports bar and Mark a good guy but can get pretty boring ....

Yep I have been there. A lot smaller than I was expecting. Mark is a nice guy so will go again but yep a tad boring if Im honest.

Unless there is a good sports event to be had. Mark posts a sign showing all the programming so if you are into a particular sport it is the best sports watching venue in the area.

PST.

New Road is the road between the Kata Market on Patak Road and Club Med, and PST pushes this Solution Bar every chance he gets. It would be refreshing to get a second opinion biggrin.png

Go for it!!,the bars been there for 5 years,dosent need any pushing belive me,hidden gem I tell thee.

PST

I used to drink in that neck of the woods, a bar had a sign which said "LIQUOR IN THE FRONT, POKER IN THE BACK"

Remember where?

Yes - in Pattaya (if that's what you're asking) - Soi LK Metro which runs between Soi Bukao and Soi Diana

Edited by VBF

Remember where?

Yes - in Pattaya (if that's what you're asking) - Soi LK Metro which runs between Soi Bukao and Soi Diana

Sorry - I know the one in Pattaya but I thought Britpop said there was a bar here in Kata/Karon with the same sign. Probably dosen't matter anyway because I was after some up to date bar info.

Go for it!!,the bars been there for 5 years,dosent need any pushing belive me,hidden gem I tell thee.

PST

Thanks. I do appreciate the sugestion. Might even swing by there tonight.

Swing by I did. Nice enough. Stools with back rests, nice tellys, the owner said hi but he was a tad busy with a group of his friends Im guessing.

Downsides - it was a serious sausage fest. Only one female behind the bar.

Let the search continue 5555

Swing by I did. Nice enough. Stools with back rests, nice tellys, the owner said hi but he was a tad busy with a group of his friends Im guessing.

Thanks,i will pass on your comments to the owner,not sure what you mean about sausage fest,but I know that the owner doesn't cater for men wanting prostitutes,so if that's what your after,then probably the wrong bar for you.

Thanks anyway.

PST

Thanks,i will pass on your comments to the owner,not sure what you mean about sausage fest,but I know that the owner doesn't cater for men wanting prostitutes,so if that's what your after,then probably the wrong bar for you.

Thanks anyway.

PST

Sausage fest means there were a lot of guys in the house.

Just because a guy likes to see women at a bar when there doesn't necessarily mean he's a whore monger.

Understood being in Thailand this can be a massive misconception.

Thanks anyway.

PST

Sausage fest means there were a lot of guys in the house.

Just because a guy likes to see women at a bar when there doesn't necessarily mean he's a whore monger.

Understood being in Thailand this can be a massive misconception.

True,i'm guessing there must have been a football match on or something similar,hence the amount of guys in the bar,i totally understand it dosent mean that he's a whore monger,but I know the owner doesn't market it as a girly bar,in high season he has up to 4-5 staff,all of which are very pleasing on the eye.

PST.

Thanks anyway.

PST

Sorry my post was probably badly worded.

I wasn't going there looking for prostitutes I just thought there might have been more staff. Even small bars tend to have 2 or 3 girls. Maybe its a low season thing? Dunno

Anyway like I said I did like it there and will be back soon. Oh and free Wifi is provided for those of us who like to stay connected.

Any other bar suggestions of couse will be appreciated smile.png

The reggae bar on the beach at Kata, if looking at the water all the way to the left.

O.K. food at the restaurant behind too, so you can have some grinds and check to see if any female Euro travelers are in the house, then pull up. Grumpy has had some success going this route thumbsup.gif

The reggae bar on the beach at Kata, if looking at the water all the way to the left.

O.K. food at the restaurant behind too, so you can have some grinds and check to see if any female Euro travelers are in the house, then pull up. Grumpy has had some success going this route thumbsup.gif

Cheers. I will check this one out also.

I must admit I like the Thai variety of females but there are a whole lot of fit Euro girls in town.

I also need to check out the Ned Kelly Cafe. I'm very sure its a cafe and not a bar but the photo from their Facebook page labeled - Pool comp 29th June is interesting w00t.gif

I tried to upload it here but can't for some reason.

Isn't that one called the Ska Bar?

Yes, lots of folks think of it the reggie bar.

If it were a ska bar they would have suits and hats on. Red gold and green flags and staff with dreadlocks? Thats a reggae bar.

post-92090-0-51528700-1375596847_thumb.j

Yes, and even when pointed out to them that is not correct they still stick to their story :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would do a small update as I found a few places that no one mentioned.

The Irish pub in Karon - Angus O'tools. I quite like it there. Comfortable, they show the sport, a couple of the staff are very easy on the eye, live band on the weekends?

Downsides - They seem to more cater for people having meals (and the meals are huge) so it does does feel a little impersonal. A bit like drinking is a restaurant. But they seem to draw a big crowd when there is a big football match on.

All Star bar in Kata - A very nice place. Lots of tv's showing everything you want and its comfortable. A nice Aussie guy who has had the business for 4 months.

Downsides is probably lack of staff. He told me that he only hires one barstaff and the day I went was her day off. Dunno about everyone else but for me its all about the staff. Good friendly staff and I will go back many times.

Australian bar in behind the coffee club in Kata - Ok this was odd. I got recommended to go there by a couple of people and I did drop in. I got totally ignored by the owner and staff and kind of drank up and left quickly. I met a couple last night who had the same experience.

So my favourite so far is Dukes followed by Angus O'tools then Kenny's Aussie bar. Mark at Dukes is a super friendly guy who always thanks everyone for dropping in.