World's largest floating library booked for Phuket

webfact

World's largest floating library booked for Phuket
Phuket Gazette

book.jpg
Hope Logos was scheduled to come to Phuket in 2011, but was unable to due to technical problems. Photo: Hope Logos

PHUKET: -- Logos Hope, the world’s largest floating library, is Phuket bound for the first time, Project Coordinator Eunji Lee told the Phuket Gazette.

The 132-meter-ship, roughly half the size of the Titanic, will be at Phuket’s Deep Sea Port from August 14 to 22.

“We will open the ship up for visitors from August 15 to 18, and from August 21 to 22,” Ms Lee said.

The ship, jam packed with over 5,000 titles, offers more than just book-knowledge: the ship's staff of 400 volunteers from around the world take part in a variety of development projects when on land, ranging from building schools to providing professional dental care.

“We aim to share knowledge, experience and a variety of cultures with people from countries all over the world through our books and volunteers,” Ms Lee said. “We also aim to help people in the area by building schools, making book donations and providing medical services.”

The price to come aboard Logos Hope during her visit to Phuket is 20 baht. Admission is free for children under the age of 12 who are accompanied by an adult.

The ship will be open to the public from 10am to 9:30pm from Thursday to Saturday, and 1pm to 9:30pm on Sunday. However, the ship’s doors will be closed on August 19 and 20.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/World-s-largest-floating-library-booked-for-Phuket-21836.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-02
  • Like 1

Doesn't appear to be the same ship (looks bigger), but we took my son when he was 2 or 3 (now 7) and he loved being on a big ship and we bought some books.
Last year, they said they were coming again. We drove over there and, no ship.
They never showed.

Hopefully they will be here this time.

Doesn't appear to be the same ship (looks bigger), but we took my son when he was 2 or 3 (now 7) and he loved being on a big ship and we bought some books.

They never showed.

Yes, I recall it was cancelled for some reason last year.

Sounds like a fun visit for the kid.

• Like 1

I was expecting the subhead:

World's Largest Floating Library Booked for Phuket

Island taxi drivers threaten to blockade ship and set it on fire

"The Governor no ask our permission. This is show not proper respect! says airport taxi queue Big Boss Somchai Keehua

• Like 2

Had lunch today with four senior high school students today. As they were all nose deep into their phones, I got out my e-book, which caused some interest.

I told them I read on average a book a week, and they all said they don't read books! Just use their phones, chatting, games, etc.

blink.png

The only interesting part of this event to most Thais will be any refrence to the Titanic.

(hey farang: you know, Titanic name after Thailnad!)

It must be quite fun to be ignorant, who cares.

Naming your restaurant after a natural disaster in which tens of thousands of lives were lost, together with flags of Greenpeace or the gay movement, why not ifQdCt0mkxHHs.gif

tumblr_mgudkdfp9N1qhp91uo1_500.jpg

4911.jpg

Thaitanic-II.jpg

Edited by rubberduck

Thaitanic made me curious. Is Tanic a Thai word? If so, what does it mean?

I visited the boat one time it visited Phuket. Not sure of the memories, but I felt it was more of an second hand bookstore than an library.

Anyway it's good to spread the idea of reading books. Reading is one way to develop mind.

Maybe for Thailand, there should be a slogan "Women who read books are looking sexy.", which is true.

They never showed.

Yes, I recall it was cancelled for some reason last year.

Sounds like a fun visit for the kid.

You're thinking of the Doulos ship that was here a few years ago. It was supposed to come last year (or so?) but the ship had to have a major engine overhaul. The Logos did come this past spring to Bangkok.