Phuket Opinion: For tourists, due diligence is essential, as is due skepticism for media hype

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: For tourists, due diligence is essential, as is due skepticism for media hype
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Internet_buzz_focuses_on_the_

Internet buzz focuses on the ‘dark side’ of Phuket. Image: Gazette Graphics

PHUKET: Tourist safety issues have been a hot topic in the news lately as the number of accidents and crimes involving foreign visitors continues to grow with the largely unregulated expansion of the island’s tourism industry.

Despite the often colorful announcements of an impending “crackdown” on this or that, or the establishment of another new “safety zone” or other largely cosmetic, public-relations campaign, the fact is that the island’s socio-economic development in recent years seems to make it an increasingly attractive destination for a wide range of visitors: from stateless Rohingya arriving over open ocean in rickety boats to those touching down at Phuket International Airport in private jets before being whisked away to a five-star resort or someone's mega-villa..

The need for better security in Phuket has at least registered at the national level, as is evident by a slew of recent developments and pronouncements. These include 251 million baht in funding for the installation of 2,450 more CCTV cameras , calls by the governor for a massive increase in police manpower, a Department of Special Investigations crackdown on illegal taxis and the establishment of an Organized Crime Center for Tourism at Phuket Airport

With so much information on safety-related issues in Phuket available online, one can only take pity on first-time, independent tourists with little or no knowledge of the island elements to steer clear of.

Those who do their homework and research Phuket will be inundated with a virtual tsunami of things to worry about: everything from very real dangers, such as rip currents and riding a motorbike, to the completely over-hyped, such as being trampled by elephants.

Despite the recent global media attention on safety issues, Phuket remains a relatively safe destination, at least for people with a modicum of “street smarts” and common sense.

Though the trend in crime statistics may show an increase, who could reasonably expect otherwise as the island becomes increasingly urban and more densely populated?

For the reader who might come across this trend as part of doing their “due diligence” before travelling to Phuket, we would advise reading the safety warnings posted on their respective government's websites, taking into consideration that these tend to err on the side of caution.

Tourists are also strongly advised to arrive with adequate travel insurance, as most recently encouraged in an announcement by German honorary consuls . The Thai government should seriously consider making travel insurance mandatory for foreigners, possibly making it available to them on a temporary basis through its own social security scheme.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Opinion-For-tourists-due-diligence-is-essential-as-is-due-skepticism-for-media-hype-21853.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-04

On my last visit to Phuket in the early part of the century, I was appalled by how much it cost to go a short distance, the attitudes of persons attempting to sell me a retirement property, the lack of authenticity in the Muay Thai stadium and the poor quality and high prices for any other form of entertainment. I vowed never to return and have heard nothing to change my mind. I now understand that many of the things that I find unappealing have structural roots.

Phuket isn't able to reorder some of its structural problems and having suffered poor publicity, is yesterday's news as a tourist destination in some markets. It will attract the huge numbers from its giant neighbour. Good luck to them both.

• Like 1

"Despite the recent global media attention on safety issues, Phuket remains a relatively safe destination" If this is true why does it get in the global media?

Going on holiday is supposed to be fun and worry free. Due diligence may turn away a lot of tourists. If we think we are going to a civilized country to relax and enjoy our holiday we don't research anything except where to stay, were to eat and things to do. On the other hand if we are going to a dangerous part of the world for an adventure holiday we will practice due diligence. Is the writer saying Phukhet vis-a-vie Thailand, is dangerous enough to warrant due diligence?

• Like 2

Reading the travel warnings from their goverment?
Have you seen the US travel warnings? I'll paraphrase; "Never leave the US or you will die".

I'm not one to rag on Phuket or Pattaya for being the Wild East. I'm all for it. But that is because I happen to be the kind of foreigner that does have a little street smarts about him. The trouble is; The ministry of tourism isn't marketing to people with "street smarts". And they're not warning people to bring their street game. They're marketing to midwest americans and middle class australians and geriatric europeans and all manner of people that want to pour firewater down the gullet and wander around drunk in the night.

I'm not saying they have any particular responsibility to tell people to do their own research when they're traveling. But let's not pretend Phuket isn't a particularly dangerous place for tourists, relative to many other spots in Thailand- because it is. And Thailand would be smart to take into consideration the reputation that these places are building int the West.

• Like 1

"Despite the recent global media attention on safety issues, Phuket remains a relatively safe destination" If this is true why does it get in the global media?

Going on holiday is supposed to be fun and worry free. Due diligence may turn away a lot of tourists. If we think we are going to a civilized country to relax and enjoy our holiday we don't research anything except where to stay, were to eat and things to do. On the other hand if we are going to a dangerous part of the world for an adventure holiday we will practice due diligence. Is the writer saying Phukhet vis-a-vie Thailand, is dangerous enough to warrant due diligence?

Ye come to LOS but dont forget to bring some due diligence.

Some newspaper articles are not worth reading or writing thank goodness it's only the local paper.

If you where a potential tourist and someone told you to check out Phuket on TV and you clicked news and events and read the headings you would'nt come.

And it's not as bad as it looks.

Another one of the 'real' dangers, example getting stabbed to death, was not mentioned. Any altercation with a local will result in the foreigner being violently reminded that it is advisable to not become involved in an altercation with a local. In my opinion, this is the greatest hazard to foreign visitors in Phuket. Do not become involved even a verbal match with a local. You might get killed for it. Or if you are lucky, maybe just beaten in front of your wife and kids.

But at times, for many people it is difficult not to become involved in an altercation with a local, as there are so many taking advantage of visitors to the island. Most people arrive expecting that they will not be taken advantage of. But actually in reality, this starts as soon as they step off the plane.

Phuket is more dangerous now then say ten years ago. We can start by blaming some segments of the population which are also in Pattaya . I do hope the government cleans up the mess and there will be less need for due diligence.

I was going to move to krabi but after the killing last week of a farang I am having second thoughts and just stay in bkk.

I came the first time to Thailand in 1975

Mostly dirt and gravel roads. No 2 wheel tractors, almost all fields

were worked with water buffalo, people would wai the old black Mercedes I drove.

Then came regularly in 2005 1 month Thailand 3 months at home.

Moved to Thailand full time in 2010, Starting this year I will only come for 7 months

out of the year.

Out of all of this I have never been to Phuket.

I do not feel I have missed anything,

The warnings I read, I heed.

I have had plenty of excitement in my life.

Worked in prisons, intelligence and law-enforcement.

Now that I am retired a good looking Thai lady

in the house is enough excitement for me.

• Like 1

"These include 251 million baht in funding for the installation of 2,450 more CCTV cameras" Of which perhaps 50 million is tea money, and cameras are useless if no one watches them, and then acts on whatever is seen that might be illegal. They still don't get it. Crime will of course increase if those charged with enforcing laws are paid off by criminals to look the other way. Tourists are once again blamed for not having "street smarts" or common sense. Common sense would be having police that enforce the laws on Phuket.

The point s YOU don't get it. There will be a myriad of schemes and ideas at local level right up to National Level. The people proposing these ideas are not altruistic, have no understanding of social interaction. The ideas stem from personal gratification overlaid with a veneer to assist in saving face. This is 'Thainess' - it is helping oneself whilst demonstrating, however childishly, how you are actually helping others - which is of course all bull but initially quite cute !

However the people involved are immune to understanding the veneer of themselves, believing instead they are the real thing. This is why we have the constant face saving about the rice scheme, the excuses why you have to pay police to do any part of their job, the stupid contracts you are expected to sign and Thaiand being the hub of boob jobs, nose jobs and all the cheap and fake everything.

For tourists, they need to understand the complex Thai psyche which results in the stabbings, rapes and murders that the police ad justice system would rather ignore, especially if you are a lowly farang, Take heart, it is not that you are really lowly, it just feels that way, really it is that you have about as much power as a battery that comes with a cheap Chinese toy compared to their Enhanced power as Ever Readies The real problem is the misunderstanding that Ever Readies are not the pinnacle, but one day the light may turn on and expose the broken circuits.

If you can understand the basic simplistic mindset then no problem, you will either be tolerated as a more or less equal or labelled as an idiot for bringing your intelligence and computer literacy into a place where the electric as yet to be turned on.

Why not have a compulsory foreigners' fee levied at the airport on arrival of say 5000 baht.

On the receipt would be listed what the fee covers eg.

travellers health insurance,

rice scheme contribution,

tea money fund,

P.M.'s footwear allowance,

tuk tuk drivers benevolent fund,

jet ski insurance,

facesavers account,

etc.

Would save a lot of time and grief.

• Like 1

Despite the recent global media attention on safety issues, Phuket remains a relatively safe destination, at least for people with a modicum of street smarts and common sense.

My friend, who has lived here in Rawai for years, was robbed by two Thai thugs on a motorbike last weekend. They stopped him and threatened him with a 12" machete. He was just a few hundred yards from home.

I suppose he doesn't have enough "street smarts". He should know better than to go out at night. dry.png