Best Indian in Pattaya?

mcyachty

Well, good luck to you. Obviously I have no opinion on the food there as I haven't been. A responsive management is a great feature and discounts are always welcome, but of course for most people the acid test is the food. 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For people who want to be assured of identifying themselves as a local Expat, you can get a life-time membership card at the Pattaya Expats Club for 600 Baht - It's good for discounts at many businesses, hospitals, and restaurants around town - ranging from 10% to 20%.  I paid for mine in less than a year of discounts.  A list of many of the businesses granting discounts is on their website.

Here's the info from their website: 

Life Membership is just 600 Baht and only by personal application at any meeting of the Club.  This one-time joining fee provides a Photo-ID Card – no renewals needed, and offers many member services,entry to our weekly lucky draw, discounts from area businesses as well.  Bring two very small photos and your card will be prepared and laminated right away by our club staff. Our membership table is open from 1030am until 1130am. Have you lost your PEC Life Member Card?  We can trace records in our database and via paper application forms, to re-issue a card, for a service fee of 100 Baht.

Edited by SurfRider

Well, good luck to you. Obviously I have no opinion on the food there as I haven't been. A responsive management is a great feature and discounts are always welcome, but of course for most people the acid test is the food. 

Thank you for your kind wishes. Please do join us for a meal.

Many Thanks,

Team - Golden Chimney 

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have to try Rasoi again! I went one time and might have ordered the wrong thing, wasn't pleased, and didn't go back. 

OK. I can now post some comments about this place after two new RECENT visits.

Overall, a better than average value Indian restaurant for Pattaya and I can understand why it is the favorite of some. I would suggest locals who like Indian food to give it a try. You might like it indeed.

Food quality and taste: A notch about serviceable, not world class, suprising, or stellar but they are not trying for that. 

Portions: Noticeable larger than typical Pattaya Indian (at the very least you should not leave hungry)

Price: Moderate for Pattaya Indian

Spice: They do respond for more spice requests but be clear and firm as they have many RUSSKIE customers 

Service: Friendly and responsive without being cloying

Ambiance: Basic and clean enough, choice of outdoor space or indoor aircon space

Music: Surprise! There IS Indian music playing in the indoor space. 

Menu: Varied choices, Tandoori meats and breads. Curries for days. North and some South Indian (some dosas, etc. low priced).

Thalis: Choice of veg or non veg, about 180 baht including nan, a good deal

It would be an unremarkable place in Delhi, London, or Silicon Valley, but by Pattaya standards it's above average in many ways. Again, worth a try!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Sorry about not presenting the information clearly, we shall put it up on our website and Facebook page very soon. This is because we have started this promotion only very recently. In the meantime you can be rest assured all the expats living in Pattaya are eligible for 20% discount at Golden Chimney.

We hope to see you soon.

Many Thanks,

Team - Golden Chimney 

I now see no update on said websites. Cheers. coffee1.gif

• 3 months later...

Went to Golden Chimney last night and both my wife and I really enjoyed it. My wife is Thai, but we live in New York and she is very familiar with Indian food there. We had both the vegetable and chicken samosas, the paneer tikka, butter chicken and yellow lentils. We also had both the butter and garlic naan. I thought the lentils weren't as good as the others,but overall was very happy with the meal. We were the only ones in the restaurant,and we were saying today that we hope business there picks up because we want the restaurant to stay open.

I don't think we are that spoiled. Lots of choices (not only talking Indian) but face it the vast majority of eateries in town are mediocre or worse. Pattaya has good food if you work hard to find it but it is not among the great food cities of the world. 

No surprising as it's not among the great cities of the world either.

• 1 month later...

Top of Soi 5 Pratters,...at present is good but last year wasn't.....great tikka masala...Alibababa is awful, used to be a good one at Jomtien beer complex called curry pot but again chef goes and its rubbish

Agreed.

Its called Nawab.

I have eaten at Nawab few times. Their chef was not consistent earlier. Off late it seems a good place to have Indian food. 

Just opened after a name change and renovation is "Real Indian" a few shops down from Simon's Fish N' Chips in

Jomtien. 

It may be worth checking out.

My impression is the menu is the same, so what's the attraction of a superficial image change?

• 2 weeks later...

Best value has to be Nung Roys on Soi Kaonoi. Excellent curries with rice for 100 Baht. Their whole menu is the same price and their Lasagna and Lamb kebabs are awesome. Its located at the front of what was Hells kitchen about 500m East of the railway. Seems to open late afternoon till about 10pm.

Best value has to be Nung Roys on Soi Kaonoi. Excellent curries with rice for 100 Baht. Their whole menu is the same price and their Lasagna and Lamb kebabs are awesome. Its located at the front of what was Hells kitchen about 500m East of the railway. Seems to open late afternoon till about 10pm.

Take all advice here AYOR. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Excellent curries with rice for 100 Baht.

Is that something on the lines of a one-plate Thai curry with rice that I can buy anywhere for 30-50B, or is it something superior?

What about things like chapatis, naan, papadums and pickles?

Excellent curries with rice for 100 Baht.

Is that something on the lines of a one-plate Thai curry with rice that I can buy anywhere for 30-50B, or is it something superior?

What about things like chapatis, naan, papadums and pickles?

Bugger that-give me garlic bread anytime-pickles nooooooooooooooooo giggle.gif

There aint a decent Indian curry in Pattaya or many parts of Thailand...after wasting much money on overpriced rubbish...with the exception of a few times then the chef changes....I refuse to waste another ruppee on crap that I or my wife can cook ten times better at a fraction of the cost than these supposedly Indian restaurants can. Take my advice get the cheap train or an Air Asia flight to Penang and get a tikka masala, rice and fresh naan from a clay oven for 9 Rinngetts (85 Baht)..best in the world, great portions, cheap and worth the trip. Heard there is yet another indian opening in Bang Saray...certainly wont be bothering travelling to try that as can gaurantee it will be cooked muck.

I would add that even Siam Reap had a good and cheap Indian place. You could smell it was good from outside.

You said "many parts of Thailand": Is there anything good in Chiang Mai?  The standards there are somewhat better than here.

There aint a decent Indian curry in Pattaya or many parts of Thailand...after wasting much money on overpriced rubbish...with the exception of a few times then the chef changes....I refuse to waste another ruppee on crap that I or my wife can cook ten times better at a fraction of the cost than these supposedly Indian restaurants can. Take my advice get the cheap train or an Air Asia flight to Penang and get a tikka masala, rice and fresh naan from a clay oven for 9 Rinngetts (85 Baht)..best in the world, great portions, cheap and worth the trip. Heard there is yet another indian opening in Bang Saray...certainly wont be bothering travelling to try that as can gaurantee it will be cooked muck.

I would add that even Siam Reap had a good and cheap Indian place. You could smell it was good from outside.

You said "many parts of Thailand": Is there anything good in Chiang Mai?  The standards there are somewhat better than here.

Dont know about Chiang Mai, personally I dont bother anymore as its always miss and hit and very rarely even half decent, cook at home and always the same....If the food was cheap wouldnt be so bad but when the tab is almost a 1,000 for 2 people for a plate of shite I just get peeved off

• Like 1

The Curry Hut, Jontiem to the side of Rumpo Market is very nice.

The prices and lack of clientèle there put me off, as they do in every Indian restaurant in Thailand. Always empty, always overpriced. Will they ever learn?

The prices and lack of clientèle there put me off, as they do in every Indian restaurant in Thailand. Always empty, always overpriced. Will they ever learn?

I have tried their "special" for about 200 Baht. Rice, Nan and a few small pieces  of chicken in a curry.

A total rip-off as you will need to order more unless you just want a snack.  I would say  you would get more chicken from

a 40 B plate of Khow Mon Ghuy in the market.

I have also tried their mutton whuch  was old and tough.

There WAS a better  Indian restaurant up the same side a couple of years ago but nobody wanted to pay the 

300 B or so for a half decent meal so they closed. 

Edited by BugJackBaron
  • Like 1

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Was fantastic when it first opened, food was cooked really well and even managed a discount. Unfortunatly as per the norm, after a few visits the food turned nasty...different cook or whatever, after 2 bad visits didnt bother again.

decent, actually excellent, Indian curry does exist in Pattaya (Indian by Nature, Jomtien). but not at bargain prices.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Was fantastic when it first opened, food was cooked really well and even managed a discount. Unfortunatly as per the norm, after a few visits the food turned nasty...different cook or whatever, after 2 bad visits didnt bother again.

When I tried it, I must have missed the magical window of opportunity when the food was cooked really well. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

decent, actually excellent, Indian curry does exist in Pattaya (Indian by Nature, Jomtien). but not at bargain prices.

Agree. I have eaten food all my life (most of my school mates were Indian) and the two times I went there, the food was great. And not thaaaaat expensive if you stay away from the American craft beers (I didn't:-)).

Siem Reap has a few good Indians and quite a few really bad ones.

• 1 month later...

Country favourite , is a new Indian take away , opened this month ! The food is awsome and great value , the best iv tasted in thailand so far ! have tried others even didnt bother after over priced average curries , only to find out about this place from a friend who organised i tasting . Since i am now enjoying a curry about twice a week ! The owner  Amit ( we call him Jack } can be reached by phone    0950984159

Edited by bobtb