Thai Girlfriend Blackmails Me With Green Book

bikerjoy

Hi,

I own a Yamaha 135cc Spark. I paid in full and have receipt.

The green owner's book is in the name of my ex-thai girl friend.

now she's threatening me to call the police and report the bike as stolen and wants to give my address to the authorities.

I plan to get a lawyer involved and have her sign a power of attorny, incl. id card copy.

anyone can get me some advise on this problem!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you dont own that bike, -she does, she has a book to prove it if need be.

Next time, put whatever you pay for in your own name,

or my name.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but i can assure you you lose more if you spend your

remaining money on a lawyer

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 2

I think you're screwed- she's the legal owner- whether it was purchased with your money makes no difference- I believe even if you had a separate contract outlining your agreement you'd still have no chance, but I'd imagine you don't.

At least it wasn't a Panigale.;)

Correct.

You'll just have to move on mate.

• Like 1

If she comes with police to your house you will have no chance other than give her the bike. But to report it as stolen would be a lie. I doubt she will risk such lie to thai authorities. Its easy to prove that its a lie.

Yep, better to put vehicles in your own name to avoid such thing.

Just curious as to why the OP put the bike in his GF's name? Who told you that you couldn't have it in your name?

Yeah there was another board member with pretty much the same story just the other day. There is no reason to not have a bike in the "true" owners name. I think this myth is promulgated and propagated by those who stand to gain by it.

• Like 1

Nothing is black and white. Do you have possession of the registration book? If so, there are people who can help you get around this.

Also, if you have proof that the payment for the bike was using your money, that is useful to have. Remember nothing is black and white in Thailand. Everything is negotiable and rules can be bent.

• Like 1

friend of mine did the same stupid thing (book in gf's name).

She came with the BiB, and they gave him a few hours to hand out the bike, otherwise....!

Don't throw good money after bad (greedy lawyers)...she's in the book, so it's her bike.

Period!

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

of course I have the book and the bike and the keys.

I am on a one yr.retirement visa.

I will try to negotiate as I also have a loan contract with her.

done by a lawyer. payable within 5 yrs.

If no repay she will go to prison. lawyer told me.

doesn't look so bad after all!

thanks for the help!

Just curious as to why the OP put the bike in his GF's name? Who told you that you couldn't have it in your name?

Yeah there was another board member with pretty much the same story just the other day. There is no reason to not have a bike in the "true" owners name. I think this myth is promulgated and propagated by those who stand to gain by it.

When i went to immigration to get a certificate of residency they would not give it and asked why i would not put it in my gf's name. (nothaburi immigration) anyway I went to the embassy to get it done right.

Wow, some fanciful stories and advise here. I'm waiting for that old chestnut "she'll have you shot you know!"

Why would she? She only needs the police to go with her. In Thai law the name in the registration book is the owner, be it car or bike.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Wow, some fanciful stories and advise here. I'm waiting for that old chestnut "she'll have you shot you know!"

Why would she? She only needs the police to go with her. In Thai law the name in the registration book is the owner, be it car or bike.

But she could have him shot...if she wanted to.

But she could have him shot...if she wanted to. 

That's true or she could get back together with him and cut his cock off and feed it to the ducks :rolleyes:

• Like 1

thanks for the help!

No debtors prison - if she doesn't repay you would have to sue her - and it would probably cost more than you will get back too. Best piece of advise is here is to come to an arrangement with her to buy it from her in exchange for tearing up that loan agreement - and then put it in your own name!

• Like 2

thanks for the help!

No debtors prison - if she doesn't repay you would have to sue her - and it would probably cost more than you will get back too. Best piece of advise is here is to come to an arrangement with her to buy it from her in exchange for tearing up that loan agreement - and then put it in your own name!

Good point there Wolf.

Thai lawyer doesn't know Thai law.

Worst that can happen for debt default is credit blacklist for 10 years.

bikerjoy reread your loan agreement. Think Hire Purchase agreement. The bike would be in your name until she paid it off and then transferred into her name.

The police will look at it as 2 seperate issues.

1. The bike is in her name = you're holding it illegally.

2. She owes you money = up to you to get the money from her.

Good luck getting the money off her. Are additional legal fees worth the effort?

• Like 1