Air pollution levels?

Phil Conners

Thanks.. so the nearest stations are Laemchabang, Rayong and Pluak Daeng. All of them show API (Air Pollution Index) in the twenties, and they have cute little green flags suggesting everything is fine, but if you click one one it shows this:

post-1539-0-51055900-1375638938_thumb.pn

The text on top seems to show the province, but then there are some yellow, orange and red bars below that certainly don't seem like everything is honky-dory. Clicking the link shows a page with Beijing Air Pollution, don't really understand how what the link is to that.

The PCD site does not show very recent values for the Pattaya area (Laem Chabang is nearest), it sometimes takes a few days for data to show up for the non-real-time stations.

Everything up to Friday looks just fine though.

Also, if there is regular wind and rain then that makes it very unlikely to have any kind of air quality issue going on.

The site that shows the raw data is http://aqmthai.com/ (Need to click the Report link, select Laem Chabang, and the air quality indicator you're looking for; from burning stuff (dust, smoke) that would be PM10. (Particulare Matter)

Of course, all of that relates to more wide-spread regional / seasonal pollution. If your neighbor is burning trash then that does not show up anywhere except in your nose.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks WTK, so I guess it's the line saying

a32 สนามกีฬาเทศบาลแหลมฉบัง (Laem Chabang Municipal Stadium, Chonburi) 2013-08-05 08:00:00 - 6 12 2 28

and 28 is the PM10 value? 28 is not so bad, right?

Anyway today it's much better, blue sky and fresh air again. Last two days the air felt really polluted and stinky.

Sunday evening was really bad at Nong Plalai, there was definitely a smell of oil within the polution the same smell that used to come from the Fawley oil refinery on the South of England in the 60 s

Thanks WTK, so I guess it's the line saying

a32 สนามกีฬาเทศบาลแหลมฉบัง (Laem Chabang Municipal Stadium, Chonburi) 2013-08-05 08:00:00 - 6 12 2 28

and 28 is the PM10 value? 28 is not so bad, right?

28 is brilliant. ;)

Personally I get a little unhappy above 80. (Daily average). And it becomes a potential medical concern for affected groups at 100-120.

.. and again tonight, same polluted smell.

I don't think anyone is burning stuff, at least not near enough to see or hear.

Anyone else notice it?

I don't think that's PM-10. You can't really smell pm-10, it's very fine dust and doesn't' smell like burnt anything.

Possibly a relatively local issue.. a factory or workshop of some sort perhaps.