Honda cbr650 2014

how heavy was your early 80's bike, what was the gearing, and how high did it rev.

the truth be told, i dont care. i had an near virgin nc 30, and if this feels anywhere near like that it is the only interesting bike i have seen on offer for anything less than silly money.

the 650 kawasakis, the Honda 500's all of that stuff pales in the shadow of that inline four.

Edited by HooHaa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know where you guys get those top speeds from, it's sure as hell isn't from GPS.

If you minus 10-15% from speedometer readings then it sounds more accurate.

That was true for old tachometers. Today's gear is surprisingly accurate. Check it out yourself.

But I simply can't believe that a bike with 86 HP can go 230 - 250. A good friend of mine had a 900 Honda Bol'dor in the early 80's and it had 95 HP and it was about 215 km/h (real) and I tried it several times (flat outwhistling.gif ) and 220-230 km/h on the clock was good,so why do we suddenly have these amazing top speeds, sorry but I don't buy it.

A Kawa ER-6 is doing app 200 km/h realistically and not +220 km/h.

Okay lets see what the tests say on the e-net when they come, eh.

You buy it or not but video says it all and if you are still posting these after seeing that video, what can i say to you:lol:

I am not here to sell you things anyway!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ll2

I don't know where you guys get those top speeds from, it's sure as hell isn't from GPS.

That was true for old tachometers. Today's gear is surprisingly accurate. Check it out yourself.

But I simply can't believe that a bike with 86 HP can go 230 - 250. A good friend of mine had a 900 Honda Bol'dor in the early 80's and it had 95 HP and it was about 215 km/h (real) and I tried it several times (flat outwhistling.gif ) and 220-230 km/h on the clock was good,so why do we suddenly have these amazing top speeds, sorry but I don't buy it.

Why would you even compare a 30 year old bike to a modern bike?

A friend of mine told me he hit 220km when he tested an ER6N. If you want to get technical yes obviously that's not real GPS speed. Who even cares about GPS speed? IMO what the speedo reads is just fine.

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetail.aspx?itemNo=PWB000205364

For those of you that really do care.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by blackpanda

While top-speed on a dyno (with no wind resistance) and speed noted on a speedometer (where the margin-of-error generally increases the faster the bike goes- there might only be a 2mph difference at 60mph but a 8mph or more difference past 125mph) aren't true indicators of actual road capability, I wouldn't be surprised if the Honda 650 could reach ~150mph (~240kph)- a major reason modern bikes can go significantly faster than older bikes with equivalent horsepower is aerodynamics- a more slippery fairing can buy quite a few mph. Of course other factors like gearing play a part, but aeros are a big reason.

My 2000 Hayabusa could hit 194mph with a comparitively low (to today's literbikes) dyno-tested 155rwhp (I think Suzuki's claim was 180hp at the crank)- the unusual fairing bought it something like 10mph (versus bikes that were run without fairings as a test)- I think Honda found a design that works well for them.

Why would you even compare a 30 year old bike to a modern bike?

A friend of mine told me he hit 220km when he tested an ER6N. If you want to get technical yes obviously that's not real GPS speed. Who even cares about GPS speed? IMO what the speedo reads is just fine.

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetail.aspx?itemNo=PWB000205364

For those of you that really do care.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

GPS is not really that accurate as they are manipulated to keep them from being used in the wrong way....

This is a better solution

http://www.stalkerradar.com/law_x-series_lidar.shtml

While top-speed on a dyno (with no wind resistance) and speed noted on a speedometer (where the margin-of-error generally increases the faster the bike goes- there might only be a 2mph difference at 60mph but a 8mph or more difference past 125mph) aren't true indicators of actual road capability, I wouldn't be surprised if the Honda 650 could reach ~150mph (~240kph)- a major reason modern bikes can go significantly faster than older bikes with equivalent horsepower is aerodynamics- a more slippery fairing can buy quite a few mph. Of course other factors like gearing play a part, but aeros are a big reason.

My 2000 Hayabusa could hit 194mph with a comparitively low (to today's literbikes) dyno-tested 155rwhp (I think Suzuki's claim was 180hp at the crank)- the unusual fairing bought it something like 10mph (versus bikes that were run without fairings as a test)- I think Honda found a design that works well for them.

Design really is important. I honestly believe my 2003 cbr600rr will have a greater top speed then my 2013 z1000.

Of course it does not mean it can hit 260 kph on a normal condition but it shows the gearing and possible speeds that cbr650f can make. saw 225 kph indicated and it can climb more.

I feel like around 245 kph indicated speed is what this bike can do at normal conditions.

And yes aerodynamics is a majot factor too. Bike feels slipery.

Edited by ll2

Well in the end of the day it doesn't really matter what speed it can go at as long as the owners are happy.

Honda seems to have made a good bike regarding the CB® 650F and I am very tempted to buy one myself and the CB650 in tri color looks in many ways as the Bol'dor.

Here are a couple of links for the testing of the good old 900 Bol'dor, when I read them it brings back good memories when I was young and wild, he-he.

http://www.boldorbikers.it/eng/BOLDORBIKERS_STORY.html

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/1981-honda-cb900f.aspx#axzz2xyHti9xo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB900F

It does seem a tad optimistic. Triumph Daytona 675R 126hp 184kgs = 265 kph.

you guys know what is gearing, right?

So you believe the difference is in gearing?

It must be pulling an extremely tall top gear to reach that speed. The speedo error must be around 10%. Edited by BirdsandBooze

So you believe the difference is in gearing?

i believe my own eyes.

^ Don't.

Your odo doesn't tell you the correct speed. wink.png

oh really! wow very strange! if you did not say we never know indicated speed is not real speed.

thanks really:) mr. smart a.s.

Just a quick question before more dummies get thrown out the prams. laugh.png

I found the CBR600RR over my years a good bike but lots of gear changing, not having ridden the Thai CBR650 yet

I wondered how it would compare, cause 50cc extra ain't a lot.

I found the CBR600RR over my years a good bike but lots of gear changing, not having ridden the Thai CBR650 yet

Your CBR600RR was both lighter and had more horse power, was faster accelerating and had a higher top speed.

Edited by Som wat

Less gear changing and clutch slipping than cbr600r.

Bike has good low and mid torque and you can go smoothly from 3000 - 4000 rpm to redline on 6th gear

Edited by ll2

Just a silly question guys: as many owner of Cb, I removed the big plastic plate number holder for a small tailtidy wish make the back of the bike really sexy!:wub:

But.... But.... Any of you have an idea on how to reduce the water projection.... As it is a real pain to have my back always covered with dirt....

Any idea?

:huh:

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just a silly question guys: as many owner of Cb, I removed the big plastic plate number holder for a small tailtidy wish make the back of the bike really sexy!wub.png

But.... But.... Any of you have an idea on how to reduce the water projection.... As it is a real pain to have my back always covered with dirt....

Any idea?

huh.png

that is a problem with all tail tidies on earth.

once the plate is on the back, it will eliminate some road grime but not fully.

also i found the rear hugger very small and short like it is from cbr250 something. it does not fully cover the rear tire resulting in dirt under the bike and to the rider/pillion. i m looking for a bigger one.

for fully eliminating the road grime on your back problem, you need such a part. photos attached. if i cant get one fixed to my bike, i might put back the stock tail back for rainy season.

they make them in thailand for kawa 650 series and maybe they can fit one to 650 series hondas. i ll check.

when did you get your bike? how is cb650f? i rode one and it feels lighter than cbr650f and very comfy ergonomics. nice one.

post-184955-0-01615000-1396844045_thumb.

post-184955-0-22444800-1396844049_thumb.

That's my first bike in fact so I cannot really compare but it is really smouth to drive and so far just happiness.

I still have my Tmax but it is not the same feeling... Much more tempted to drive fast !

For my projection problem, I will check what the situation with the real plate which is bigger....

My main project now is an exhaust.... What the hell are waiting all the big brand to have a nice pipe for this bike.

The Mugen and Moriwaki look awful!

I received the bike just 1 week ago in Phuket and for my first bike I just preferred the riding position of the CB.

Thanks for your reply and I will check this part but..... Hiding the tire.... Otherwise I will have to buy a nice vest... And sweat like in sauna 555

Bike has good low and mid torque and you can go smoothly from 3000 - 4000 rpm to redline on 6th gear

Less gear changing? I hardly get out of 1st (1st gear top speed 125 kph).

I received the bike just 1 week ago in Phuket and for my first bike I just preferred the riding position of the CB.

Thanks for your reply and I will check this part but..... Hiding the tire.... Otherwise I will have to buy a nice vest... And sweat like in sauna 555

Kindly post some pics of your bike. Thanks :)

Less gear changing? I hardly get out of 1st (1st gear top speed 125 kph).

mostly ride on a combination of first and second gear. 2nd gear provides easier throttle application and bike becomes less vibey as usual. good for commuting.

Today I went to order new handle grip, the stock ones are really bad, and some LED light.

Still have to found some levers which look better and maybe nice mirrors.

I also get a quote to cover the bike in Black and Carbon... could be nice!!

Here is pic of the bikes....

7t7p.jpg

The piece on the back tire to prevent dirt spilling up on the pillion is what I found mostly to be called a rear mud guard.

If you are in phuket, right next to Honda Bigwing is a small thai shop for motorbike parts. This is where I bought for around 2k THB a rear mud guard for by CBR500R. The brand is called Phoenix.

Here a video of one of them on a CBR250R, I think it's 100% the same piece.

Might also fit on the CB650F.

It's not really a beauty but it does the job.

Once I get my CB650F, I will have a nice project to transform the tail into more or less this one:

mv-top-2.jpg

Wont be easy though to get the wiring down there for the lights. Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated :)