Honda cbr650 2014

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This guy must have been very fast at impact he's broken two trees at a good height off the ground..

All the Darth Vader type safety gear in the world would not have saved this poor guy.

Not really...You know a lot of folks do not realize how fatal hitting an immovable object is & how low a speed you need

I have read in the past as low as 35mph/50kph into an immovable object can easily be fatal.

If I remember rightly it is something like...

The bike etc hits with a momentum equivalent to its speed ( in meters per second ) times its mass 210kg for Honda 650

So even 50kph/35mph or 13.88ms x 210 is a lot

We can also probably assume he was doing more than 50kph/35mph

Edited by mania

This guy must have been very fast at impact he's broken two trees at a good height off the ground..

All the Darth Vader type safety gear in the world would not have saved this poor guy.

Not really...You know a lot of folks do not realize how fatal hitting an immovable object is & how low a speed you need

I have read in the past as low as 35mph/50kph into an immovable object can easily be fatal.

The bike etc hits with a momentum equivalent to its speed ( in meters per second ) times its mass 210kg for Honda 650

could die falling off your bike parked at a stop sign. Most deaths from falls are 2 to 4 feet

Yes, you no doubt at all, you can become a fatality at low speed hitting an immovable object..but the size of the trees broken would suggest a high/very high impact speed....

Yes, you no doubt at all, you can become a fatality at low speed hitting an immovable object..but the size of the trees broken would suggest a high/very high impact speed....

Probably but you would be surprised at that momentum formula

Even that example above is near 3000

When I was 19 I was in a car as a front seat passenger going to work

The driver looked over his shoulder to check the right lane as it was in traffic & he did not see a man standing in a very dumb place to be.

Coincidentally the man was a motorcyclist who had run into this 3 lane road to pick up his bikes muffler which had fallen off

We were probably doing 35mph when he hit that man who was standing still in the road.

The car we were in was a 60's Ford Mustang

Would you believe that the impact at that fairly low speed into just a mans body was enough to bend the chrome bumper in & pushed his radiator into the engine fan?

The poor guy lived but that always stuck with me. I could not believe hitting a human at 35mph could bend a bumper & nose of

that mustang enough to push the radiator into the fan. So that body bent steel ..........

This was 1975 so they had real bumpers back then not this plastic stuff like today

Amazing & glad the guy lived.

finally honda cbr650f owners manual in English!

just download it ASAP to your pcs and especially to your smartphones. easy from smartphones as easy to check and it is good to carry it with you all the time for some specific info like which brake fluid, tire,pressures, torque values etc

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/32MJEB000_CBR650F%2014%20OM.pdf

just download it ASAP to your pcs and especially to your smartphones. easy from smartphones as easy to check and it is good to carry it with you all the time for some specific info like which brake fluid, tire,pressures, torque values etc

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/32MJEB000_CBR650F%2014%20OM.pdf

Honda gave me one when I bought the bike. Didn't they you?

they gave me only owners manual in Thai. yours is English?

i recommend reading it. you always learn something about bike from the owners mamual.

they gave me only owners manual in Thai. yours is English?

i recommend reading it. you always learn something about bike from the owners mamual.

Yep, they gave me two. On English, one Thai.

I don't want to point fingers but I suspect he could be Russian. Several of them have crashed on bikes in the Pattaya area and died in the last year.

They mostly don't have any bike training and no or little (big) bike experience and it often ends tragically.

#1179/Mania: "Probably but you would be surprised at that momentum formula. Even that example above is near 3000"

Momentum = mass x velocity.

Kenetic Energy = 0.5 x mass x velocity x velocity.

Edited by papa al

#1179/Mania: "Probably but you would be surprised at that momentum formula. Even that example above is near 3000"

Momentum = mass x velocity.

Kenetic Energy = 0.5 x mass x velocity x velocity.

Thanks

That is interesting Al

But isn't kinetic energy how much energy something can carry vs Momentum being how that energy is delivered?

In either case though they both equate to a large amount given the mass x even a slower velocity

Gives all of us riders who weave daily thru obstacles something to remember

Be safe wink.png

Edited by mania

• 2 weeks later...

Now that some time has passed and a few members here have received their CB®650F, I wanted to ask if anyone other than templedog is having the heat issue.

I took the CB650F for a testride a few months ago and really liked it. Was enough power for me coming from a CBR500R and doing mostly commute style riding in Phuket. A bit more torque would have been nice but I guess that's always the case :) From a bang for the buck point of view, it's one of the best options here in Thailand.

I spent some time today at Bigwing and I really get itchy every time I see this bike. I want it. But the heat from the engine is just something I think I wont be happy with in the long run. So I basically want to hear if that's a non-issue for most owners or maybe just some bikes are affected?

LL2 you said the heat is comparable to your 500. I have one too and I noticed a huge difference. The 500 doesn't get so hot that it's anywhere near uncomfortable. Wonder if I did something wrong :/

Now that some time has passed and a few members here have received their CB®650F, I wanted to ask if anyone other than templedog is having the heat issue.

I took the CB650F for a testride a few months ago and really liked it. Was enough power for me coming from a CBR500R and doing mostly commute style riding in Phuket. A bit more torque would have been nice but I guess that's always the case smile.png From a bang for the buck point of view, it's one of the best options here in Thailand.

I spent some time today at Bigwing and I really get itchy every time I see this bike. I want it. But the heat from the engine is just something I think I wont be happy with in the long run. So I basically want to hear if that's a non-issue for most owners or maybe just some bikes are affected?

LL2 you said the heat is comparable to your 500. I have one too and I noticed a huge difference. The 500 doesn't get so hot that it's anywhere near uncomfortable. Wonder if I did something wrong :/

i am on bikes for long years so it does not bother me much although i ride in bangkok with gear.

for me not much difference but sure cbr650r runs hotter than cbr500.

you just need to get used of it and once you have some blast with it, you forget about itlaugh.png

dont worry about the heat. it is not uncomfortable.

finally a recognized brand made a full system for cbr650f. after expensive and not that nice looking moriwaki they sell at bigwing

two bros full tarmac carbon fiber system. looks neat. made in usa.

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=005-4020105-T

http://www.twobros.com/sku/005-36701/exhaust/Hon-CBR650F_FULL_14.html

+5 hp and + 3 nm increase in performance and 6.3 kg weight reduction.

not bad. 1200 USD god knows how much will it be in Thailand. a bit more devil full system i guess.

post-184955-0-64306900-1409151909_thumb.

post-184955-0-63421300-1409152199_thumb.

Edited by ll2

Well done II2 for that finding...

I have been desperately looking for a nice proper exhaust system since I bought my bike!

As you said: how much are they going to charge us for that? 1200$ there.... I can see easily a 45000 + thb here...

Temptation..... :D

I took the CB650F for a testride a few months ago and really liked it. Was enough power for me coming from a CBR500R and doing mostly commute style riding in Phuket. A bit more torque would have been nice but I guess that's always the case smile.png From a bang for the buck point of view, it's one of the best options here in Thailand.

I ride in shorts mostly. Never noticed a problem with the heat. Much less heat reaching my legs than on my Ninja650. I seem to have gotten used to keeping my right leg away from the gearbox which gets very hot, but is only a problem if you contact it with bare skin.

finally a recognized brand made a full system for cbr650f. after expensive and not that nice looking moriwaki they sell at bigwing

two bros full tarmac carbon fiber system. looks neat. made in usa.

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=005-4020105-T

http://www.twobros.com/sku/005-36701/exhaust/Hon-CBR650F_FULL_14.html

+5 hp and + 3 nm increase in performance and 6.3 kg weight reduction.

not bad. 1200 USD god knows how much will it be in Thailand. a bit more devil full system i guess.

Wow, great looking pipe, LL2

I ride in shorts mostly. Never noticed a problem with the heat. Much less heat reaching my legs than on my Ninja650. I seem to have gotten used to keeping my right leg away from the gearbox which gets very hot, but is only a problem if you contact it with bare skin.

i had a problem with right engine cover and lower clutch assembly. not about being hot but i hit my knee at times there and last, hit it hard accidentally while parking and it still hurts a bit. I need a soft part there.

Edited by ll2

Well done II2 for that finding...

I have been desperately looking for a nice proper exhaust system since I bought my bike!

As you said: how much are they going to charge us for that? 1200$ there.... I can see easily a 45000 + thb here...

Temptation..... biggrin.png

we might see it here around 40 k thb.

Also, dynojet PC5 is also on the way!

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommanders.aspx?mk=19&mdl=683&yr=2014&pc=16-052&mk-n=Honda&mdl-n=CB650F%20/%20CBR650F&pc-ver=PCV&add-mdlyrid=16-052&add-mdlyrid2=FC16052&fullstr=FC1605216-052&prod-type=PCFC%20(Coming%20Soon)Powercommander%20V%20-Coming%20Soon&notes=91,

So, i believe, with two bros tarmac pipe, pd5 with proper tuning and an air filter, performance of the bike might go up around 15 percent with a cost of around 55 k - 60 k thb. not bad again and also weight reduction, bike sure goes a lot faster.

Still, not sure if i would like to fork out this amount now, i might save it and jump to cbr1000rr next year, if not sure, i will get these mods done.

Good to hear the engine heat is not a problem for you guys and maybe it's an opportunity to make me ride with a jeans instead of my usual shorts (I know, I know...). Though I found also two other guys that said it was uncomfortable for them. Am really split regarding this issue, damnit. Will wait for Intermot in Germany beginnig of October to see if any new exciting bikes come out. Have just renewed insurance and bought a new chain for my CBR500R so not a good time to trade it in. The original chain was getting very bad after 24k kilometers, probably because I didn't take care of it as I should have. Lots of chain whiping or whatever it's called. 5k THB including sprocket and labor. That plus the 24k service transformed the bike handling quite a bit. Nearly as new so enjoying that a bit more (as far as enjoying gues during rain season hehe).

BTW Bigwing Phuket has now a bunch of accessories on show including a rear mud guard for 2XXX THB (forgot exact price) which I think looks better than the Phoenix one for 500/650 (I own one). Asked a mechanic if it's possible to mount the license plate on it to which he said no. But I think it shouldn't be too difficult.

https://www.facebook.com/bigwingphuket/photos/pcb.916743755010894/916738588344744/?type=1&theater

I wonder though how much those mud guards really help. I have the original, ugly tail plus the Phoenix mud guard and I still get dirt on the seat. How does that physically even work? Does the mud fly around the corner? :)

10612743_916738578344745_42015182298774610403292_916738731678063_19947539264960610570303_916738985011371_33157135067794010520890_916739075011362_80857498862848610615442_916738861678050_22628945322710910628728_916738921678044_28822720628448310570264_916739015011368_76365516552358210577036_916738531678083_95405516250059510599311_916738885011381_59548405894525310574292_916738735011396_55271979839010310614412_916738681678068_77788138995247310626573_916738755011394_518769325783194

Mud guard is very effective.

But rear hugger is short and thin so it throws mud to the sides at times.

This one at bigwing has one mounting point. So it rattles and shakes like a tail.

Phoenix one has two mounting points from each side so very sturdy.

Engine heat again is not an issue. Of course these bikes are not designed for a ride with shorts.

Oh your mud guard mounts on two sides? Mine looks 100% the same but only mounts on one. Guess then they don't really use the same for both 500 and 650 series or maybe they updated it since I had mine for quite a while. Ideally I'd like one that looks like the ones they have on various Ducatis. Especially the mount piece looks still a bit ugly imho.

Hello, I've figured out that I am just not used to riding a "big bike" in Thailand. It is my first here, so I was shocked at how hot my CBR650 got. And, it takes hours to cool down. I'm from New York City and had a GSXR750 over there, with the cooler nights, heat was never an issue. Well, BKK is a frying pan, so....yeah I noticed the heat, and I burned my leg wearing shorts, too. I never ride with shorts anymore. I believe the other fellows on this thread that it's not hotter than other bikes. It's just Bangkok!

Has anyone found a good shop for after-market thingies....mirrors, sliders, clutch/brake levers...etc.?? Cheers, Joe