Cable firm struggles to hook up English soccer fans

webfact

Phuket:

Cable firm struggles to hook up English soccer fans

BANGKOK: -- CTH Plc, the broadcast rights holder for English Premier League (EPL) matches has admitted that some subscribers will not get satellite dishes or cable set-top boxes in time for the big kick-off on August 17.

The new cable-TV operator is trying to clear a long waiting list of customers who want to subscribe to its service.

“We are sorry about the slow installation and will do our best to solve this problem as fast as we can,” said chief executive Krissanan Ngampatipong.

CTH plans to install satellite dishes and cable set-top boxes for 600,000 new subscribers before the start of the football season. It will double its installation teams to 4,000 to tackle the backlog, and it now has 400 dealers nationwide.

From this week, it says, its daily installation capacity will increase by 50 per cent to 3,000 satellite dishes, while daily capacity for the cable system is between 2,000 and 3,000 boxes. “We hope the situation will be better soon,” Mr Krissanan said.

Customers have complained about having to wait up to two months before being contacted by CTH’s installation staff.

Kanitha, who works for a law firm and is an avid football fan, said she waited for one month for a phone call from CTH staff about making an installation appointment.

“I’m just lucky that the installation team will come to my house this Wednesday. That means I’ll be able to watch the first EPL game of the season,” she said.

But she was told by CTH staff that she would receive a satellite dish, not a cable system, as the company’s fibre-optic network is not available at her location. The company promised to change the system for her once its cable network is available in her neighbourhood.

CTH has 40,000 to 50,000 customers waiting for installation and hopes the backlog will drop below 10,000 by late August.

“Demand is much higher than we expected from existing subscriptions from local cable operators and new subscribers via the satellite system alike,” said Mr Krissanan.

“The low-priced packages widen opportunities for viewers wanting to reach good content, particularly EPL games.”

CTH is moving in the right direction; after its EPL package was launched in June, its three-year subscription at B599 a month was the most popular, being taken up by about 70 per cent of customers, followed by packages for one year, two years and one month.

CTH will run the satellite system alongside the cable line system, Mr Krissanan said.

The company maintains its target of having at least 3 million subscribers in its first year of operation, 1 million in the satellite system and 2 million in the cable system.

A satellite TV industry source said CTH faces two major problems, however. First, revenue sharing between CTH and its satellite mechanic teams at B400-500 a set is lower than that of TrueVisions, which pays B1,000.

This has resulted in a lower quality of dealers who tend to hire small subcontractors with lower levels of expertise to do installations.

Second, inexperienced technicians often find it hard to fine-tune satellite dishes to receive signals from Vinasat, the Vietnamese satellite that CTH uses, and this also leads to delays.

There was talk of TrueVisions doing a deal with CTH to sublease the EPL, but this seems to have come to nothing, leaving True subscribers bereft of English Premier League games.

The CTH website is here.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-08-05

I had mine installed in Chiang Rai earlier today (only called the dealer last Thursday). Great picture, nice choice of channels. Would be worth the money even without the premier league football. Keeping True on one tv but only because of the Champions League.

they've made a bit of a horse's arse of this haven't they?

I don't see any sign of us footy threadites struggling to get their package - benefits of collective gossiping, plus BKK's priceless inside track. For once it seems as though living in a poorer area (with not many middle class Thais and fewer falang) is a positive advantage when it comes to response time.

Anyone else out there unconnected - avoid the CTH central number at all costs for installation. Call your nearest dealer then the next nearest until you get the optimal installation date/travel mileage cost offer: I would consider a financial incentive if I was stuck myself, but I can understand if Stevie interprets that as typical <deleted> capitalist behavioursmile.png

This Pukhet Gazette reporter has also made a horse's arse of it - 599 baht a month? Pah! He/she just continues to parlay the obfuscation about the real cost, which is 962 baht a month (899 plus the VAT that CTH would like you to overlook). Still good value, particularly if you pay 10 months up front and get a year. But that's only if they can get it all to hang together when crunch time comes. I can do without the EPG for the first year, hell, I'll even do without a good English commentary for a couple of months, but the actual games must be there to watch live and replays must be available.

I'm keeping Gold for another couple of months in case of disaster! Fingers and toes crossedthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

they've made a bit of a horse's arse of this haven't they?

I don't see any sign of us footy threadites struggling to get their package - benefits of collective gossiping, plus BKK's priceless inside track. For once it seems as though living in a poorer area (with not many middle class Thais and fewer falang) is a positive advantage when it comes to response time.

Anyone else out there unconnected - avoid the CTH central number at all costs for installation. Call your nearest dealer then the next nearest until you get the optimal installation date/travel mileage cost offer: I would consider a financial incentive if I was stuck myself, but I can understand if Stevie interprets that as typical <deleted> capitalist behavioursmile.png

This Pukhet Gazette reporter has also made a horse's arse of it - 599 baht a month? Pah! He/she just continues to parlay the obfuscation about the real cost, which is 962 baht a month (899 plus the VAT that CTH would like you to overlook). Still good value, particularly if you pay 10 months up front and get a year. But that's only if they can get it all to hang together when crunch time comes. I can do without the EPG for the first year, hell, I'll even do without a good English commentary for a couple of months, but the actual games must be there to watch live and replays must be available.

I'm keeping Gold for another couple of months in case of disaster! Fingers and toes crossedthumbsup.gif

i don't have the package at home as i prefer to watch my footy out and about but i have heard that very few chiang mai bars will have the CTH installed ready for the start of the season. guess if you knew the score early doors then you could move early and ensure you had it in case of problems like this - those that have dallied will have to wait. and yes, eff off you <deleted> capitalist. ;)

I'd not bother with football packages if I lived close to a city with multi-choice bars also Stevie. Much better to watch with a crowd than sterile shouting at your own screen.

I'd not bother with football packages if I lived close to a city with multi-choice bars also Stevie. Much better to watch with a crowd than sterile shouting at your own screen.

yeah, it's a nice choice to have. and a luxury compared to back in the UK where most premier league fans only get to see their team play on TV a handful of times a season and when sky sports decree it. i get to watch every liverpool match here, usually at nice times of the evening, and while wearing shorts and flipflops. spoiled rotten.

yeah, it's a nice choice to have. and a luxury compared to back in the UK where most premier league fans only get to see their team play on TV a handful of times a season and when sky sports decree it. i get to watch every liverpool match here, usually at nice times of the evening, and while wearing shorts and flipflops. spoiled rotten.

How true. I have yet to see an Arsenal match being played on a pub telly in the Leeds/Bradford area. 2nd Division rugby league takes priority if there is no other football match to show biggrin.png

My CTH is being delivered this week I want to hook up both true and CTH anyone got any idea how to do it !!!!!

HDMI 1 and 2. switch from one to other through source.

Thats how my CTH is set up. Great HD quality btw!

I've had my CHT installed through a local cable provider, great picture, excellent programming. I was a little concerned about the EPL but I re-tuned my box on Saturday and noticed 6 new HD Channels called Stadium 1 to 6, I presume they will be the EPL channels. Can't wait!!!

I've had my CHT installed through a local cable provider, great picture, excellent programming. I was a little concerned about the EPL but I re-tuned my box on Saturday and noticed 6 new HD Channels called Stadium 1 to 6, I presume they will be the EPL channels. Can't wait!!!

Are you in Bangkok? I don't know anyone in Bangkok with CTH through cable.

(The reference to a sub-leasing deal with True is encouraging even if currently it doesn't look like happening...)

Daft thing is I have a dish pointing to Vinasat, and can get VTC and K+,[free ones] I simply want to pay CTH and just have there set top box !!!!!!!!! But NO that is not possible as the installation is a fixed fee + must have another dish...... I already have 3 dishes all connected to the TV.

so a set top box from there shop need only plug it in ? or 2+ men at least 2+ hours [local installers will take 1 hour driving] plain daft

I had my satelitte system installed in Korat last Friday just 2 days after signing up.

Good picture quality and I like their English language channels more than True's.

It has a great selection, 9 channels, for kids too.

Very happy with my CTH, glad to get rid of True, their customer service was terrible. Also a much better picture on the HD channels on CTH. I also much prefer CTH's remote control, compared to the Truevisions one.

Edited by MrMuddle

You know having a good internet speed helps with all these problems of waiting for connection, and it doesn't cost me a penny!!!
been able to get anything Sport,TV programme I wish to watch if you know how and where to look.

Internet is the way to go but make sure you have high broadband speed to get no interruptions.

You know having a good internet speed helps with all these problems of waiting for connection, and it doesn't cost me a penny!!!

been able to get anything Sport,TV programme I wish to watch if you know how and where to look.

Internet is the way to go but make sure you have high broadband speed to get no interruptions.

Everyone loves a smart ar$e, specially when they have to move and change wives to emulate him! thumbsup.gif

Santisuk,
no need to change wife just start how you mean to go on in the first place!!! tell her what is what when you first get together and don't change the rules.
But I'm sorry to say it's tooooooo late for you to have any saying on this now wai.gif I could go out and watch my football any time or if I wish stay at homedrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

Thank god these days can watch whatever i want online ...

Please help a non-techie. How do I watch Premier League live online (with commentary) in Thailand?

Mostly watch on http://www.vipboxsports.me/

or on http://cricfree.tv/sky-sports-f1-live-stream.php that is how I have set as I watch motor sport but have a look have all the Sky Sports Live + euro sport and ESPN channels

There are many many others site, from around the world.......... just for me I like these 2 sites..

as for 'help a non-techie' go to Google Search, there are 100's of sites, pick the one that works best for you, for me it is more who is the commentator .......... Best to have more than 1x site, I find sometimes [very rare] over the past 3 years not easy to get from say UK, but better picture from Australia or South Africa

Edited by ignis

How do you watch online and stay within a 5Gb monthly download limit (my True internet contract specitications) ?

Myself with True internet, 10 years ago was the only option, still today is the only option in my Village........ 5Gb monthly download limit had no idea was a limit ? and if there are 2x F1 in a month then watch all the Practice as well would come to 24 hours at least + watch many other Motor Racing live ....

No idea but if you are watching LIVE are you using any download limit ? I do not download any just watch live

Thank god these days can watch whatever i want online ...

Please help a non-techie. How do I watch Premier League live online (with commentary) in Thailand?

Mostly watch on http://www.vipboxsports.me/

or on http://cricfree.tv/sky-sports-f1-live-stream.php that is how I have set as I watch motor sport but have a look have all the Sky Sports Live + euro sport and ESPN channels

There are many many others site, from around the world.......... just for me I like these 2 sites..

as for 'help a non-techie' go to Google Search, there are 100's of sites, pick the one that works best for you, for me it is more who is the commentator .......... Best to have more than 1x site, I find sometimes [very rare] over the past 3 years not easy to get from say UK, but better picture from Australia or South Africa

Thanks. Wiziwig did work quite well for the Ashes, but it was the only stream that I could watch instantly without having to download anything or enter my mobile phone details. I'll give it a go when the Premier league season starts.