Can't use online Bank of America's Direct Payments in Thailand - HELP NEEDED!

Hello,

I just called Bank of America's customer service and they confirmed I can't make any Direct Payments while in Thailand because their system is blocking overseas servers.

Now, I am pretty sure there is a way to workaround that, but I'm not an expert in IT servers. I tried the website hide my ass . com, but it didn't work. So I'd like to know what configuration you are using so that Bank of America website thinks I'm in the U.S..

I would appreciate your contribution.

Thank you

I would guess to be certain you would need to pay for a VPN - several threads in Internet/computer forum.

One that has been mentioned is StrongVPN - but I have no experience of it or any others.

When I first got to Thailand I still used my Bank of America account to pay some credit card bills...worked fine...didn't have to be on VPN....but things can change.

Use a VPN service like StrongVPN...I've used StrongVPN for about two years now for various things but it will cost you about $55/year...they probably have lower cost shorter term plans also.

You can also get 500MB/month free VPN from Tunnelbear.com. I use them as my backup VPN service....have used them for about a year with no problem...but my use has really must been logon occasionally to ensure my account still works....checking my VPN backup so to say.

I have another vote for tunnel bear. If you have a twitter account, tunnel bear has been offering an additional 1 gb for free if you "twitter" tunnel bear. Combined monthly total of 1.5 gig. This has worked great for me for several months.

I have a BankAmerica account and use it to make payments on their website without any problem.

PS. Just to be sure I checked my account online today, August 7, and had no problem.

Same here, was on this morning and no problems. Maybe the OP is using a Thai address for his account, I use a U.S. address for banking purposes.

Not a problem I use it all the time, are you sure you have the right level of account to have all services from bank of America. I have a Thai address also so that is not it. If you have online banking it should work - it may be the place your try to pay and not them. I cannot make payments to a vary short list of places but that is them not BoA that stops it. Use the online chat function and see what answers you get - just log in to your checking account and open a chat with your account rep.

Just to add there maybe some temp problem - I was just checking and had some transactions from early in the week show as pending rather then normal processing and then they just when away today and my account has not been charged. Oh boy free stuff. Could be a server problem is here in Thailand and the charges will be back later. laugh.png

I have a BankAmerica account and use it to make payments on their website without any problem. PS. Just to be sure I checked my account online today, August 7, and had no problem.
Same here, was on this morning and no problems. Maybe the OP is using a Thai address for his account, I use a U.S. address for banking purposes.
Not a problem I use it all the time, are you sure you have the right level of account to have all services from bank of America. I have a Thai address also so that is not it. If you have online banking it should work - it may be the place your try to pay and not them. I cannot make payments to a vary short list of places but that is them not BoA that stops it. Use the online chat function and see what answers you get - just log in to your checking account and open a chat with your account rep.
I had a client who was trying to send me funds from his BoA acct to mine had issues because his address was in mexico. Not sure if there were other issues, like how he opened the acct. But all other features worked ok."...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2). Edited by 4evermaat

Thanks for all your contributions.

My situation may differ as I am a business customer so maybe there is an extra level of security there.

I tried proXPN as a free VPN. I made several unsuccessful attempts as the page didn't load under the vpn. So, I rapidly switched on and off the vpn so that the website had a local ip and then loaded the page without vpn. It worked!

So I'm good now. I also realize that paid vpn may be the right answer, but as Bank of America's fees are pretty stiff, it wouldn't be profitable anymore.

Thank you again for your valuable insights!